WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, so I called WSU vet admissions, which I know was impatient of me, to ask about my application status (I'm OOS) and was told by Rebecca that notifications would go out next week. I feel confident that this was a sugar-coated rejection, but can anyone who applied before confirm?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone requested a different day or time and been accepted or had any issues? The day/time they gave me will be difficult to make.
My date will conflict a bit as well. I just sent the request form for a different date. Once submitted, it says it'll take 5 business days for them to get back at you. Just gotta wait to see what they say.

Yeah, so I called WSU vet admissions, which I know was impatient of me, to ask about my application status (I'm OOS) and was told by Rebecca that notifications would go out next week. I feel confident that this was a sugar-coated rejection, but can anyone who applied before confirm?

If you know, did she mean they'll only be mailing [rejections--since those go out by mail] notifications next week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone requested a different day or time and been accepted or had any issues? The day/time they gave me will be difficult to make.

My understanding is they will only switch days/time if someone else during those slots (so another OOS interview) doesn't accept their interview. They have their interviews scheduled really tight, so they don't have empty slots you can move to otherwise. They've had dates for interviews posted since the start of the application cycle, so they probably assume people know the dates already and have tried to start making arrangements so they work if they get an interview.

It couldn't hurt to email them to check, but that's what someone was told last year so I imagine it will be the same this year :)

Reactions: 1 user
Davis, but earliest they'll let us know is second week of Jan.

Ah, yeah. I loved Davis, but the extra $60,000 more than WSU would be difficult for me to justify.

If you know, did she mean they'll only be mailing [rejections--since those go out by mail] notifications next week?
I'm not sure, that's what I was asking about. When she said notifications would go out through mail (and not email as I made sure to ask) I figured that was a nice way of saying my ass was rejected. Maybe Tier 1 rejections go out first followed by Tiers 2 and 3? I'm really not sure. I also don't know if notifications include rejection letters and/or "in limbo" status?

Ah, yeah. I loved Davis, but the extra $60,000 more than WSU would be difficult for me to justify.

Extra 60k?! When I worked it out it was an extra 20k after the first year in state change. And they keep boasting about all the grants they give out. I'm not sure of the exact numbers because I'm at the dentists right now...

It'd be more like 100k for an OOS. You can change to IS status at WSU after your first year really easily if you're at the Pullman campus :)

Extra 60k?! When I worked it out it was an extra 20k after the first year in state change. And they keep boasting about all the grants they give out. I'm not sure of the exact numbers because I'm at the dentists right now...

Including cost of living, it's $60k more over four years according to VIN. I need to go over the fin aid info again, but my tour guide at Davis said grants each year are around $7-8k (not guaranteed, but still nice), but at the info session I swear the slide showed more like $3-4k.

It'd be more like 100k for an OOS. You can change to IS status at WSU after your first year really easily if you're at the Pullman campus :)

You can switch to IS after the first year for Davis, too! The tuition isn't actually that much higher for Davis, it's just that the cost of living for Pullman is so much lower.

Including cost of living, it's $60k more over four years according to VIN. I need to go over the fin aid info again, but my tour guide at Davis said grants each year are around $7-8k (not guaranteed, but still nice), but at the info session I swear the slide showed more like $3-4k.

You can switch to IS after the first year for Davis, too! The tuition isn't actually that much higher for Davis, it's just that the cost of living for Pullman is so much lower.

Ha! I was wondering where you got the 60k from. I forgot you could switch for Davis! No idea how easy it for Davis, but my understanding is it's basically guaranteed at WSU if you follow all their requirements, which the school is really helpful about making sure you do!

I'm not sure, that's what I was asking about. When she said notifications would go out through mail (and not email as I made sure to ask) I figured that was a nice way of saying my ass was rejected. Maybe Tier 1 rejections go out first followed by Tiers 2 and 3? I'm really not sure. I also don't know if notifications include rejection letters and/or "in limbo" status?

This sounds weird, but I think you and I would make great friends. "a nice way of saying my ass was rejected," is exactly something I would say, hahaha

Reactions: 3 users

Ah gotcha! I wasn't thinking about living costs because my husband pays for that! lol

Silly question, but I want to confirm you were asked for a way to be identified in their system/records, and then were told this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Washington has a higher COL than Idaho. My friends rent a small two bedroom apartment in Pullman for more than what my parents pay in Moscow, and we live in a 4 bedroom house on 6 acres, with an orchard. There are lot of crappy apartments here (college town), but there are nice places if you're willing to look.

Now that's it's snowy, I give myself 30-40 minutes to get from my house to my parking lot at WSU. When it's nice it's a 20 minute commute. It's very doable to live in Moscow and work or go to school Pullman . . . And Moscow has the best restaurants. :D

Sent them an email and said my letter was sent into the mail today. I have until January 12th to accept the offer and they usually interview about 180-200 OOS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Sent them an email and said my letter was sent into the mail today. I have until January 12th to accept the offer and they usually interview about 180-200 OOS

Whoa. My estimates were WAY off. That's incredible that they can get through that many people.

Silly question, but I want to confirm you were asked for a way to be identified in their system/records, and then were told this?
Rebecca, who I spoke to, asked for my name and date of birth. I'm sure that it was easy to identify my application since I have an ethnic name and am a male.

I'm OOS and still haven't received anything

OOS South Carolina, haven't received anything either. Tier 1 on all metrics. Will see what happens, no sense stressing at this point. Pups and Christmas cookies and work.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who received rejection, was it via mail or snail mail? I'm preparing for mine

OOS still haven't heard anything. Looks like there's a lot of us still in this boat.

Same here. Nothing yet.

Sent from my VS990 using SDN mobile
Samesies. Though, I'm tier 2 (yet SO close to tier 1 with my GRE), so I'm being very realistic with my expectations and remaining aware that I'm not going to be one of the first to get an invite, if I am given one. It's (somewhat) helping with my patience !

Samesies. Though, I'm tier 2 (yet SO close to tier 1 with my GRE), so I'm being very realistic with my expectations and remaining aware that I'm not going to be one of the first to get an invite, if I am given one. It's (somewhat) helping with my patience !

I'm in the same boat, except this would be my 3rd rejection out of 4, so it's a little sad

I live clear across the country so if it's a mailed rejection it'll be a little while.

@pcram93 - you're OOS, right? Did you apply anywhere else?
Yeah I'm OOS. I applied to Missouri (big-time rejected), Washington, and my IS which is Illinois. I'm hoping for at least an interview with Illinois but at this point I'm preparing myself for what may be the inevitable, that vet school is not a possibility this year. @sheltermed you seem so nice, I am really hoping you get into one of your schools!

Yeah I'm OOS. I applied to Missouri (big-time rejected), Washington, and my IS which is Illinois. I'm hoping for at least an interview with Illinois but at this point I'm preparing myself for what may be the inevitable, that vet school is not a possibility this year. @sheltermed you seem so nice, I am really hoping you get into one of your schools!

Hahahah I was big time rejected from Missouri as well! WSU and Cornell (my IS) are the last ones I'm waiting to hear from. My academics just aren't there for any of them (especially Cornell)--I have a few backup plans, but I'm hoping to graduate with a strong(er) GPA and retake the GRE to reapply next year and hopefully not need grad school. I think a master's program is where I might be headed, though!

I hope you get in, too!! You should at least get an interview with your IS! Well, I don't know your stats so I can't really say lol, but I do know that Illinois is pretty forgiving with academics if you have strong experiences (really regretting not applying there, I kind of just didn't want to write the GMO essay >_>) either way, best of luck!! :)

Edit: Just read your stats on another thread lol, academically you're fine!! GRE definitely isn't everything.

I live clear across the country so if it's a mailed rejection it'll be a little while.

Yeah me too. What state are you from if you don't mind saying ?

South Carolina, military. I went to high school in WA and like the idea of going back. You?

Womp. OOS and still haven't heard anything either!!
I'm super bummed. I'm Tier 1, so I was kind of thinking I'd at least get an interview, but oh well.

My husband is Navy, he'll still be active duty when I start school unfortunately, but you make it work when you have to.

My date will conflict a bit as well. I just sent the request form for a different date. Once submitted, it says it'll take 5 business days for them to get back at you. Just gotta wait to see what they say.
Got it. Thanks! I accepted it and am going to probably request a change of date or time at a later point. I'd be curious to hear whether you get to choose or you get another random date and time.

My understanding is they will only switch days/time if someone else during those slots (so another OOS interview) doesn't accept their interview. They have their interviews scheduled really tight, so they don't have empty slots you can move to otherwise. They've had dates for interviews posted since the start of the application cycle, so they probably assume people know the dates already and have tried to start making arrangements so they work if they get an interview.

It couldn't hurt to email them to check, but that's what someone was told last year so I imagine it will be the same this year :)
I see. It's not so much the date as the time and the need to stay an extra night because of it. All of these expenses are adding up. I will think about it, then. THANK YOU!

I see. It's not so much the date as the time and the need to stay an extra night because of it. All of these expenses are adding up. I will think about it, then. THANK YOU!

Look at flights out of Spokane instead of Pullman? It's only an hour and a half away and a pretty quick drive. Spokane is a bigger airport and will likely have more flight options, so if you were planning to rent a car, it might solve the problem.

Good luck!

Look at flights out of Spokane instead of Pullman? It's only an hour and a half away and a pretty quick drive. Spokane is a bigger airport and will likely have more flight options, so if you were planning to rent a car, it might solve the problem.

Good luck!
Thanks! Unfortunately, if I fly into Spokane I need to also fly into an airport about 2 hours from home, which makes it a bit more complicated if I get in past midnight. And the flights that fly out of my area are not conducive to the interview time (hence the reason to need to spend two nights). But we will see. I am going to hold off on flights for now and think about it. I appreciate your response. Spokane may be the best option in the end :).

Right now my plan is to fly in the day before and fly back on a red eye and get in at about 5:30AM, then go to work. Unfortunately I just don't have enough vacation days to stay two nights.

OOS rejected via snail mail

I'm sorry...it's there loss. I know other schools will love to have you in their program.

Thanks for the update. I haven't heard anything. Still waiting...

If you don't mind me asking what tier were you and where are you from.

I'm sorry...it's there loss. I know other schools will love to have you in their program.

Thanks for the update. I haven't heard anything. Still waiting...

If you don't mind me asking what tier were you and where are you from.
I'm tier 2 and a WICHE applicant from New Mexico. Guess it was just a really competitive cycle! Thank you for your kind words! Still holding out hope for the next 3 schools.

I'm tier 2 and a WICHE applicant from New Mexico. Guess it was just a really competitive cycle! Thank you for your kind words! Still holding out hope for the next 3 schools.

Not a problem! And good luck! I know great things are coming your way.

I'm sorry :( -- mine's probably on its way as well, I live in NY so it's bound to take a while..
I hope great things come your way soon! You're in my thoughts as you wait to hear from other schools!

Reactions: 2 users