AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
I just came up with a figure of $33033 per year for medical school + living expenses.... :eek:

Cherebourg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Huckel
Status
AStudent said:
I just came up with a figure of $33033 per year for medical school + living expenses.... :eek:

Does WTF stand for World Trade Federation? If so, how odd that you would find it necessary to include that in your post?

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
I think you've been drinking again. Please stay home from work.

Cherebourg said:
Does WTF stand for World Trade Federation? If so, how odd that you would find it necessary to include that in your post?

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
future
Status
Attending Physician
Cherebourg said:

:laugh: :laugh: It stands for "What the F##%". And don't worry Astudent, you can take upto $38,500 in stafford loans. You will be able to pay it back as a doctor.

Cherebourg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Huckel
Status
Alexander Pink said:
:laugh: :laugh: It stands for "What the F##%". And don't worry Astudent, you can take upto $38,500 in stafford loans. You will be able to pay it back as a doctor.
Excuse me, but "what the F-number-number-percent.??" Am I missing something here? This doesn't mean anything to me. Can someone please explain... Jeezzz...maybe I'm a bit ignorant,but.....

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Think coworker.....

Cherebourg said:
Excuse me, but "what the F-number-number-percent.??" Am I missing something here? This doesn't mean anything to me. Can someone please explain... Jeezzz...maybe I'm a bit ignorant,but.....

futuredoc10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Cherebourg said:
that was hilarious! :laugh:

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Alexander Pink said:

Yeah, we may be able to afford it.... but either way you put it 100-200k is a lot of money that I would want to keep. I keep telling myself to try and think of it as a business investment....

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
AStudent said:
Yeah, I mean, how can anyone deal with that when doctors pretty much immediately get 6 figures salaries when they're done w/ residencies. I mean, oh no, you'll have a year's salary worth of debt. (aside from my jerky sarcasm, the point is that whether or not med school tuition is insanely high, you'll be able to kill that debt in no time if you just live modestly for the first few years after residency's over.)

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
When do you have to start paying it back? If I get a job during the summer are they going to hit me up?

civic4982 said:
mmm... student loans...

I'm just think about it as this number and not really money. I owe so much money frmo undergrad that this is just sorta like throwing another log to keep that "Stay away from the real world" thing going. Hooray for loans!

icebrat001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Arizona
Status
Other Health Professions Student
AStudent said:
When do you have to start paying it back? If I get a job during the summer are they going to hit me up?

I think it's 6 months after graduation.

civic4982

FM => Geri
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2003
Where "The stars at night, Are big and bright"
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AStudent said:
No ou won't have to pay it back then.

6 months after graudating you'll have to start paying it back. If you don't have a job or can't get one then they'll make certain exceptions. You get some leighway on extenuating circumstances.

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
What about my residency stipend? (sp?) They won't tap that will they?

civic4982 said:
No ou won't have to pay it back then.

6 months after graudating you'll have to start paying it back. If you don't have a job or can't get one then they'll make certain exceptions. You get some leighway on extenuating circumstances.

icebrat001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Arizona
Status
Other Health Professions Student
AStudent said:
What about my residency stipend? (sp?) They won't tap that will they?

They don't "Tap it" you make payments, just like a credit card.

FaytlND

15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Its actually not a good idea to pay the loans back as fast as you can. Many doctors are still paying their loans off when they are in their late 50s. Reason being, that a student loan is relatively good debt. You get no real benefits from paying it back early. Since the interest rate is so low, its better to take the money you would pay extra on your loan and invest it in a fund thatreturns a higher percentage than the loan charges for interest. In that sense, its a smart money move because you are almost making money.

UT_mikie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Cherebourg said:
No I think he just made a typo, what he really meant was WTO or World Trade Organization.

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
future
Status
Attending Physician
Actually, you don't have to start paying it back right after 6 months out. You can defer all the way through residency if it is a Stafford loan, and then after that you can start paying it back. You can even ask for up to a 3 year extension following this if you are actively seaking (but unable to attain) employment (this is unlikely for a physician). Point is, by the time you are required to pay them back, you will be making a good deal of money. Also, as someone else said, student loan debt has a very low interest, so you needn't rush paying it back. Besides, even with 150k in debt, your monthly payment is only gonna be like $1300 - $1500 a month, not bad at all (just like an extra mortgage payment).

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
So, what's to stop some maniac from taking out the max loan and investing the rest in a high return stock or bond? :eek:

Alexander Pink said:
Actually, you don't have to start paying it back right after 6 months out. You can defer all the way through residency if it is a Stafford loan, and then after that you can start paying it back. You can even ask for up to a 3 year extension following this if you are actively seaking (but unable to attain) employment (this is unlikely for a physician). Point is, by the time you are required to pay them back, you will be making a good deal of money. Also, as someone else said, student loan debt has a very low interest, so you needn't rush paying it back. Besides, even with 150k in debt, your monthly payment is only gonna be like $1300 - $1500 a month, not bad at all (just like an extra mortgage payment).

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
I'm pretty sure they evaluate you financial situation before just handing out money. Thats why you have to fill out the fafsa and all that other crap to get loans. If they give you money its because you need it. Besides some people do put them in stocks to make a little money. There's nothing wrong with that as long as the principal gets paid back.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AStudent said:
So, what's to stop some maniac from taking out the max loan and investing the rest in a high return stock or bond? :eek:
isn't there a law that makes this illegal? i thought it was brought up in the past on another thread...

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
33 grand... hmm, that would be nice... because Case is estimated to be $56,500 a year. So if i get in there and go (it is my 2nd choice, doubt i will get off waitlist to my 1st), 56,500*4 = $226,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
Status
gbiz said:
33 grand... hmm, that would be nice... because Case is estimated to be $56,500 a year. So if i get in there and go (it is my 2nd choice, doubt i will get off waitlist to my 1st), 56,500*4 = $226,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehe...yea, I saw 33 grand and I'm like...that's IT? Case is gonna be a handful, but I love it anyways. Good luck w/ Case!

B

Blade28

Sounds about right. I've been borrowing $35k a year, for the past 4 years. :(

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
future
Status
Attending Physician
AStudent said:
You can only borrow upto the expected cost of attendance, a figure that the school determines based on its evaluation of living cost, tuition, fees, etc. You can't borrow more than that number.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
FaytlND said:
Its actually not a good idea to pay the loans back as fast as you can. Many doctors are still paying their loans off when they are in their late 50s. Reason being, that a student loan is relatively good debt. You get no real benefits from paying it back early. Since the interest rate is so low, its better to take the money you would pay extra on your loan and invest it in a fund thatreturns a higher percentage than the loan charges for interest. In that sense, its a smart money move because you are almost making money.
I would be uncomfortable with a loan hanging over my head for so long. It may not be the smartest financial choice, but I would rather pay it off sooner and not have to worry about what would happen if I became unable to work, etc.

M

melimi

waitwaitwaitwaitwait
i just figured out that my expenses (tuition+living+fees+etc-EFC) comes down to about $53k per year. Will I even be able to FIND this kind of money???? Jesus Fing Christ, I'm gonna be so broke :(
(if there was a crying desperately with no hopes smiley, i'd insert it here)

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Cherebourg said:
I don't know if you are being serious, but using number signs and percent signs are ways of writing curse words without actually finishing out the rest of the word. Now does that make it clear?? :laugh:

monstermatch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
melimi said:
waitwaitwaitwaitwait
i just figured out that my expenses (tuition+living+fees+etc-EFC) comes down to about $53k per year. Will I even be able to FIND this kind of money???? Jesus Fing Christ, I'm gonna be so broke :(
(if there was a crying desperately with no hopes smiley, i'd insert it here)
Yea, you can find the money. You will have to max out on Stafford loans (something like 38k a year) and then you will have to tap the private markets. There are tons of banks that will lend you the rest of your money - your financial aid office should be able to direct you toward some. Unfortunately, these places will charge a higher interest rate than the stafford loan and they are less flexible about deferment/forbearance. Also some of these loans have adjustable rates - These loans have their own rules so you need to get informed if you decide to use them. If you intend to finance all of your Med Education, expect to accumulate at least 250k in debt - you're expenses will be higher than you think, and you have to include costs for tests and interviews (4th year gets expensive). If you decide to defer your loans during residency, you can expect the interest to compound and get you in the 300k range. Find a debt calculator and see for yourself what those payments will add up to when you finish residency.

Just don't marry a classmate who is in the same boat you're in. Imagine coming out of residency with 500k in debt and trying to buy a house.

You might want to think about radiology too - they can handle that much debt coming out the door of med school. Forget peds tho.

You need to crawl on your hands and knees to your financial aid office and ask for money. They all have tons of extra money in their discretionary fund and you shouldn't hesitate to BEG for some. Don't be afraid to give them a cold look and say "state med schools only costs x amount - you can do better."

If that doesn't get you anywhere, start asking family members for money so you don't have to tap the private loan market.

Or be smart like me and turn down that hotshot private school and get just as good an education at your state school for half the price.

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status
AStudent said:

Well, nothing. But it is illegal. Plus, high income students can't get subsidized loans, and taking out private loans to invest is not worth it when your accumulating ~6% APR on the private loan.

M

melimi

monstermatch said:
Yea, you can find the money. You will have to max out on Stafford loans (something like 38k a year) and then you will have to tap the private markets. There are tons of banks that will lend you the rest of your money - your financial aid office should be able to direct you toward some. Unfortunately, these places will charge a higher interest rate than the stafford loan and they are less flexible about deferment/forbearance. Also some of these loans have adjustable rates - These loans have their own rules so you need to get informed if you decide to use them. If you intend to finance all of your Med Education, expect to accumulate at least 250k in debt - you're expenses will be higher than you think, and you have to include costs for tests and interviews (4th year gets expensive). If you decide to defer your loans during residency, you can expect the interest to compound and get you in the 300k range. Find a debt calculator and see for yourself what those payments will add up to when you finish residency.

Just don't marry a classmate who is in the same boat you're in. Imagine coming out of residency with 500k in debt and trying to buy a house.

You might want to think about radiology too - they can handle that much debt coming out the door of med school. Forget peds tho.

You need to crawl on your hands and knees to your financial aid office and ask for money. They all have tons of extra money in their discretionary fund and you shouldn't hesitate to BEG for some. Don't be afraid to give them a cold look and say "state med schools only costs x amount - you can do better."

If that doesn't get you anywhere, start asking family members for money so you don't have to tap the private loan market.

Or be smart like me and turn down that hotshot private school and get just as good an education at your state school for half the price.

i would do the whole state school if i was an actual resident of a state, but my school would be UPR.... and thats not "just as good an education"
so i'm pretty much gonna have to just ask for a shizload of money
thanx 4 ur help

calisurfdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Well in regards to loans, making money off those loans etc, here's my input since i'm stull currently a financial advisor before attending med school this fall.

1. Take all the low interest rates (subsidized and unsubsidized) loans that you could get.
2. While in school, if you are really savvy, you could take a portion of your loan money and invest it. However, I would highly recommend against it since most people will end up losing their investment and hence the ability to pay for school.
3. Yet when you are done with school, just consolidate those loans, and pay it off at your own lesiure. If you are saving and investing properly (this is the time when you need a good FA), then you should have no problem paying off those debts. You'll end up with much more money investing while paying off your debts than the average doc that just pays off debts alone.

just my 0.02, but i would of charged $$$ to here this tidbit in my office. :D