• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
They have medschool in poland, which is run carribean style? A kid that couldn't pass intro to bio is in med school there. wtf? :confused:

ZagDoc

Ears, Noses, and Throats
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
There's sick people in Poland too. I know, novel concept.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

badasshairday

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
There's sick people in Poland too. I know, novel concept.

Yeah yeah I know. But I'm talking about going there with the intention of coming back to the states to practice. I just found out about a kid who couldn't pass undergrad freshmen bio was there. So are other people who really should not be anywhere near med school considering they can't pass stuff like ochem.

GreenShirt

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My neighbor finished medical school in Poland and landed Harvard Plastics afterward. Granted it wasn't the medical school for foreigners that the OP is talking about, but don't think that they haven't heard of science in Poland.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have to think that this med school with special classes for American students isn't going to be held in the same esteem as, say, the most academic medical school in Poland. If this kid couldn't pass intro bio, he/she isn't going to pass the USMLE either.

drbetty

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My neighbor finished medical school in Poland and landed Harvard Plastics afterward. Granted it wasn't the medical school for foreigners that the OP is talking about, but don't think that they haven't heard of science in Poland.

not sure how many med schools are in poland, but i know a surgeon who did a 6-yr program there, came to the US for surg residency, and is in plastics as well (not harvard, but some other academic hospital).

NewGuyBob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I graduated from Poland, went into Anesthesia, and got a Pain position for July 09. Is not Harvard Plastics but, you know. One of my friends is doing plastics in SC. BTW, my time in Krakow were the best 4 years of my life! Great city!

Last edited:

shreypete

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ashkaban
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Actually most of the central European schools (unlike western European schools) are quite easy to get in but the hardest thing is to stay in....they weed out tons and tons of students in the first 3 years. And I would also like to point out that we just don't have pre-med science courses...the first 3 years also include pre-clinical sciences (anatomy, histology & embryo, parthology, biochem, physio etc).

But you're right...if that kid doesn't study hard...he'll won't have the luck he did when he got into the school. I'm just in the 2nd year now and I find that it just gets worse every year...more students keep failing (about 20-30 students in my school don't make it to the next year)....and I second the klobasa with mustard...yummm

badasshairday

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, well the school I'm talking about is the Medical University of Lublin. This guy who couldn't pass intro bio in 2 attempts looked into it back in our sophmore year of undergrad and then bounced to do the 6 year program. The guy would never study, and he would cheat on every exam using his hawk eyes... if you know what I'm saying.

Anyways at this same school this other guy who couldn't pass O-chem and went to undergrad for 4 years (but couldn't graduate) went out there as well about a year and a half ago to start the 4 year program. It is suppose to be 2 years in Poland and 2 years for clinicals in the United States. Apparently after he went some of his other buddies decided to do it too so they can be rich, prestigious, and babe magnet doctors.

It is just weird that I had to work pretty damn hard to get to where I'm at, but there is a back door way to it all. But I dunno, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter because there are still the licensing exams and hoops to jump through so it is all standardized. If they can do it, more power to them. If they continue being lazy then they'll fail.

shreypete

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ashkaban
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I wasn't implying that there are no pre-clinical classes by any means! In the 6 year program, the first 2 years are for basic pre-med sciences (chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, molecular biology, biostats... etc). Years 3 & 4 are the medical basic sciences (anat, physio, micro, path, pharm...etc). Years 5 & 6 are clinical rotations.

Actually to be more precise, European medical school can be divided into two segments of study: Pre-clinical and clinical (the Pre-clinical INCLUDES a few pre-med courses) but is still essentially pre-clinical in nature.

subjects taught in the pre-clinical segment of study: Anatomy (1st year), Physio (2nd year), Biochem (2nd year), Histology and Embryo (1st year), Cell Biology (1st year), Biophysics (1st year), Genetics (2nd year), Pathology (3rd year), Microbio (3rd year), Immuno (3rd year), Pharma (3rd year), propadaeutics in Surgery (3rd year) etc etc etc.

Clinical segment: purely clinical in nature (IM, Surgery, and so on).

So you can't really say that years 1 and 2 are pre-med based, years 3-4 are pre-clinical based...because the pre-clinical sciences ALMOST finish by the end of the 2nd year (we're just left with patho, micro, immuno, and pharma in the 3rd year)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.