Wtf!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think UCSF made a huge a$$ mistake. I got a secondary after 7 weeks of waiting. I am an out-of-stater and my stats are not all that. Should I even bother doing the secondary? How do they choose which people get interviews if no real new info is added by the secondary? Does it just depend on the LORs you have to send in? I would really appreciate knowing about this because I do not want to spend $60 if I have no chance. Thanks all.

--DrJ2B

Members don't see this ad.

you're in a lucky boat my friend, you should take up the offer. i'm a cali resident, got rejected pre-secondary from ucsf, but i kind of expected it. it is a difficult school to get into, but i've heard from many people that these tougher schools do more thorough reviews of applications, meaning they will totally take into account if you have excellent LOR's, clinical/volunteer experience, research investigations, etc. i would go ahead and fill it out, you never know what will happen. i also sent out secondaries to many schools which i knew i wouldn't have a chance, but i told myself that i've already forked over so much money, a little more won't hurt. anyway, best of luck to you and congrats on getting the secondary! take care.

If you don't fill out the secondary, then why applied to it in yoru primary? Since you have paid $30 for primary, you might as well spend a bit more money to complete your app. It may turn out to be a pleasant surprise!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for knocking some sense into me! I had applied through AMCAS for the hell of it. I never thought I would get a secondary but somehow I have been blessed with one. So Yeah I will continue with it and maybe an interview is in my future. Thanks all! I must have sounded like a dunderhead! :p :p

dude fill it out and run man.

you are in a nice position. im in state and i got rejected presecondary. the secondary gods have smiled upon you so now fill it out and smile. its not even a hard secondary haha.

Last edited:
I am not a URM. I am just one lucky mother******! :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by jbing
hey drj2b - how inappropriate would it be to ask you if you are an URM? ok too late now. so are you? the reason im asking is that 1. you are out of state and 2. you said your stats arent that great. i got rejected in-state presecondary so you can just write my curiosity off as jealousy if you want :laugh:

Guess you didn't research UCSF too much...California got rid of Affirmative Action in its admissions process.

:rolleyes: :mad:

i was an out of state and got rejected after 7 weeks of waiting. heard it was nearly impossible for an out of stater, go ahead and apply!

good **** dude. there must be something that really stuck out about you in which case you will probably get an interview. they dont hand out secondaries to out of staters just to reject them. they reserve that honor for the in-state peeps. :laugh:

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
Guess you didn't research UCSF too much...California got rid of Affirmative Action in its admissions process.

Really? I think that's only for undergrad though. I do believe at least UCLA still has affirmative action for the medical school (Correct me if I'm wrong)

i think all that really means is they can't out and out claim race as a reason for considering an applicant.

Last edited:
After hearing all of your replies, I feel utterly stupid. I am such a tool. Forgive me! Please slap this brotha up if he makes such a dumba$$ thread! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: On a side note, I wish everyone the best of luck in the medical school application process. As I have just experienced, it truly is some messed up random shiznit! :confused: :confused:

its all good dude. what will really be funny is if you end up going there. ill definitely be bumping this thread back up. :laugh:

Originally posted by DrJ2B
I am not a URM. I am just one lucky mother******! :laugh: :laugh:

and a very good speller!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I am a Spelling Bee champion. Maybe that is why I got the secondary! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hahahahahha, that's the best joke I've heard all day. You may read the print where it says UC does not dicriminate based on race, gender, blah blah what not else. But it's BULL**** pure and simple.

How did my dumba$$ thread turn into an affirmative action thread? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How many people who sent in the UCSF secondary applied to the JMP with UCB? What is your take on it? I read up on it and it seems cool, but I think I would rather do an MPH later on. thanks all.

I didn't apply to the JMP program but a couple of the other applicants that interviewed the same day that I did, were also interviewing for the JMP program. One of the applicants who had been to the Berkeley interview for the JMP program said that there were barely any lectures in the program and it was pretty much all group discussion, although, you might want to comfirm this. Citygal, I think it is, who started another UCSF link is a very helpful UCSF medstudent who you could ask.

The thing that I learned about UCSF, is that there is a lot of opportunity to pursue these programs as UCSF med students. If you are not sure that you want to do the program now, but you think you might decide to later, you might not want to apply for JMP 'cuz you will have the opportunity if you decide to do it later. On the other hand, it won't hurt your chances of getting into the MD program if you apply to the JMP program, so why not? Also, do you want to be in Berkeley or SF for the basic science years? UCSF is a health sciences university while UC Berkeley is a GIANT university with many other disciplines. They are very close (30 min depending on traffic), but definately different cities.

Well, just giving you some things to think about, I am not sure how much I helped. But that's awesome that you received a secondary and I definately think you should continue to apply and maybe (please, oh please let me get in) we'll be classmates next year. I can't emphasize enough what an awesome school UCSF is. BIG sense of community (med students not involved in the admissions process were just coming up and talking to us all day during the interview), awesome faculty, and in San Francisco (awesome views).