et2008

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2008
Status
Medical Student
What do we need for our first year at WVSOM? What books did you find helpful and what were a waste of money? What supplies did you have to buy? Are the prices at the bookstore competitive or should I shop other places? Thanks

JohnUC33

A Stinkin Conservative
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2005
TN
Status
What do we need for our first year at WVSOM? What books did you find helpful and what were a waste of money? What supplies did you have to buy? Are the prices at the bookstore competitive or should I shop other places? Thanks
I wouldn't buy a single book until you get on campus. You really want to take the first few weeks and ask the class ahead of you what books you should buy. Our bookstore's prices are pretty reasonable. They don't jack up prices or anything. If you feel like you have the itch and must buy a book, then purchase the medical terminology book(but don't study it until August). Hope that helps.

WVPanther

Overly Optimistic
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Et I went into the book store and asked the same question, and they were really of the opinion that I should wait until I get on campus around late July / August. I know it's not a satisfying answer, but I thought you'd want the wisdom a fellow class member had sent his way by the experts who staff the shop.

jgl1980

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
Yes wait till you get on campus to buy your books. The book store is good and you do not have to pay taxes on your purchases. Every now and then you might be able to find a better deal on barnes and nobles or amazon but it is few and far between. Books you will want are Physiology, biochem and anatomy atlases. Do not buy the Rhoades and tanner biochem book it is terrible. Look at the other ones to see which ones fit you better. Good luck with school and enjoy your summer and don't worry about school till you get here!

medmom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
Colorado
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
Completely depends, are you SBL or PBL? If SBL then NOTHING!! The bookstore is usually pretty competetive and most of my SBL friends barely touch their books, if PBL than I can give you a better answer.

meggielou

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2007
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
Completely depends, are you SBL or PBL? If SBL then NOTHING!! The bookstore is usually pretty competetive and most of my SBL friends barely touch their books, if PBL than I can give you a better answer.
and what would that be? :)

Richie Truxillo

Your Scut Monkey Mentor
10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
That would be board review books for PBL 8)

I'm serious. Start studying for boards on day 1. I did and I passed step I and Step II on my first go around.

Get you a Cecil's Essentials of Medicine, Pharmacology Recall, Micro Recall, some pharm and micro flash cards and USMLE Secrets Step I and Step-Up to Step I.

Learn your pharm and micro and then use your USMLE Secrets Step I and Step-Up books to "Guide" your group and your daily "learning issues" to relevant topics.
If you have a gunner in your group who wants to study the molecular structure of the individual tumor markers involved in Colon Cancer, promptly take the heaviest book in sight and beat her senseless over the head during wrap-up. ;)