WVSOM vs. KCU (Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xogunj

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been very lucky and have been accepted to both of these great schools. They both emphasize primary care medicine and are located in rural areas. However, when I interviewed at KCU I did not go to the Joplin location.

WVSOM:
- 96% match rate for 2018 and 100% match rate for 2017
- 70% of the students get matched to their first choice

KCU-Joplin:
- Brand new campus (opened in 2016) so no data on this specific campus location
- KCU is one of the five original osteopathic schools in the US
- KC campus has had 100% match rate for the past five years and the Joplin campus has the same curriculum and access to all the same resources as the KC campus

I am having a really hard time deciding and I'm not given much time to decide. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have been very lucky and have been accepted to both of these great schools. They both emphasize primary care medicine and are located in rural areas. However, when I interviewed at KCU I did not go to the Joplin location.

WVSOM:
- 96% match rate for 2018 and 100% match rate for 2017
- 70% of the students get matched to their first choice

KCU-Joplin:
- Brand new campus (opened in 2016) so no data on this specific campus location
- KCU is one of the five original osteopathic schools in the US
- KC campus has had 100% match rate for the past five years and the Joplin campus has the same curriculum and access to all the same resources as the KC campus

I am having a really hard time deciding and I'm not given much time to decide. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks :)
KCU-Joplin

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the boat as you were.
Comparing the campuses both look very good. But WVSOM has larger area.

WVSOM is very rural.
Joplin is little better.

I am wondering how the rotations are in place for WVSOM vs. KCU-Joplin?
Do students generally get rotations outside of Lewisburg for WVSOM?

Any inputs?

All these campuses is a matter of first 2 years?

I am in the boat as you were.
Comparing the campuses both look very good. But WVSOM has larger area.

WVSOM is very rural.
Joplin is little better.

I am wondering how the rotations are in place for WVSOM vs. KCU-Joplin?
Do students generally get rotations outside of Lewisburg for WVSOM?

Any inputs?

All these campuses is a matter of first 2 years?

I don't know anything about the rotation sites for WVSOM, but I do know about KCU-Joplin's rotation sites. There are two major hospitals in Joplin, Freeman Health and Mercy Joplin, that are pretty much exclusively for KCU-Joplin students. The KCU-KC students can't rotate there, and I know ATSU-KCOM had a lot of their student spots bumped for KCU-Joplin students. Freeman has residents too which is a plus for medical students. KCU-Joplin students can also rotate elsewhere in Missouri, and in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Joplin is a somewhat rural area (city population of ~55,000 and metro of ~180,000), but it is also pretty close to Springfield, Tulsa, Kansas City, and some other bigger areas.