WVSOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skippytoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few people post messages here that said that they are going to WVSOM. How is that school, anyway? Is it a good choice? How would you compare it with the allopathic medical schools?
Any advice to give to a prospective student of what to do to better my chances?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy,

I just started my third year at WVSOM this week. So I am off-campus now. But I will try to give a brief review of the first two years.

Year one is on the "block" system. You take 4-6 weeks of classes, then you have "blocks". A week of tests in the various subjects. Monday might be anatomy, Tues is Histolgy, Wed is Biochem, etc. etc. There are 5 blocks the first year. Then you start "systems" around the last month of the first year, then systems continue throughout the second year, with the summer off b/w the first and second years. Systems usually run a month, with a month of Renal, a month of Blood & Lymph, a month of Respiratory, etc etc. Usually you have two tests in systems, one in the middle of the system, one at the end. In each system, you study all the various components, such as the Pharmacology of the Renal System, Micro of Renal, Path of Renal, Peds and Renal, etc etc.

How does it compare to Allopathic? I am not sure what you mean. I guess it compares to MD schools like all the DO schools compare to MD schools. You have the same requirements to get in, you have to take the MCAT, you take the same courses once you are in school, but with the addition of OMT/OPP (Osteopathic Manipulation/Practices).

Hope I haven't bored you to death
biggrin.gif
Let me know if you have other questions.

Billie, MS-III
WVSOM

P.S. To better your chances of getting in, tell the admissions committee you want to go into Family Practice in rural Appalachia, since it is their mission to provide rural family practice docs. You can change your mind to neurosurgery if you want, once you are in...
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Billie (edited 06-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Billie (edited 06-23-2000).]

Thanks Billie. However, when you say, "Tell them you want to work in rural Appalachia," are they going to require some proof (you know, did you shadow a DO in rural Appalachia, etc.)? Just curious. It seems in interviews I could never get away with saying something like that without having to donate some organ to science to "prove" it.
thanks

Hmmmmm...well to be honest, it is kind of an "in" joke even among some of the professors after you get in that some will not go into family practice. I think it is expected that out of state will return home to their home state. The Profs say, "Now I know you ALL said that you wanted to go into FP to get into here...blah, blah, blah.

Still the majority do go into FP. Whether or not they are rural I don't know. But at the same time, I think it pays to be honest too. I myself told the admissions committee that I was interested in family practice (which is true) but I was more interested in emergency med as I felt it was more in style with my personality and that I would be a better doc there. But that I did want to work rural ER, which is VERY true. I was very honest in that FP was a second or third choice for me.

Anyway, one thing they did ask me in the interview was, "Where do you want to practice?" I don't know if they are trying to trip you up, like if you initially stated you want rural America, then answer to this question, "Oh, I hope to return home to Baltimore to practice" hehe.
biggrin.gif

Billie