WVU 3rd/4th year question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pontifex Maximus

Rads-a-palooza
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are all students shipped to either Charleston or the Eastern Panhandle for 3rd/4th year, or do some stay on the health campus? If they can stay, is it an option, lottery, or what? Just curious, as neither of those places particularly appeal to me. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Cozmosis said:
Are all students shipped to either Charleston or the Eastern Panhandle for 3rd/4th year, or do some stay on the health campus? If they can stay, is it an option, lottery, or what? Just curious, as neither of those places particularly appeal to me. Thanks :)
Students either stay in Morgantown, go to the e. panhandle, or go to Charleston for their 3rd and 4th years. The crap deal is that you have to chose when you interview what you want to do for clinicals 3rd & 4th years. You can usually switch from morgantown to chas or panhandle later, but not visa versa. Your best bet is to say you want to stay in morgantown to maintain your options until you can know.

dopaminophile said:
Students either stay in Morgantown, go to the e. panhandle, or go to Charleston for their 3rd and 4th years. The crap deal is that you have to chose when you interview what you want to do for clinicals 3rd & 4th years. You can usually switch from morgantown to chas or panhandle later, but not visa versa. Your best bet is to say you want to stay in morgantown to maintain your options until you can know.
Cool. Sounds good to me. Do you know if you absolutely need a car at WVU for 3rd/4th year? I don't plan to have one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never lived in Morgantown, but I know there's some amount of public transport. Charleston has a meager amount as well. Having grown up in a Charleston 'burb, my suggestion is to have your own transportation if at all possible. WV is very rural as soon as you step outside of the city limits and I imagine a significant portion of WVU's medical education requires frequent movement wherever you do your clinicals. I'm sure peops have carpooled in the past, but I'd be paralyzed without my wheels. Just a note: I'm from WV and am applying to WVU & Marshall, but I've never gone to school either place.

-dope-

Cozmosis said:
I just figured you could do all your rotations in the main hospital. I need to find a school where i can do that.

Likely you're not going to find any school anywhere for which you can stay in one hospital for your clinicals. Most schools have a separate pediatric hospital, va hospital, psychiatric hospital, and main hospital, with varying degrees of travel between them. My suggestion is to not base your decision on whether you need to buy a car or not. Decide which schools would work for you in other, more important criteria and then decide whether to buy the bomber later.