WVU class of 2007...67% female.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recieved the list of my classmates today. It's a 2-to-1 female-to-male ratio.

On one hand, obviously, "yay."
On the other hand...distractions, distractions....

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, I thought that phenomena was more prevalent with the pharmacy schools in California, less so elsewhere. Well, we guys sure won't have trouble finding eligible bachelorettes.

Originally posted by neonam11
Hmmm, I thought that phenomena was more prevalent with the pharmacy schools in California, less so elsewhere. Well, we guys sure won't have trouble finding eligible bachelorettes.

Yeah, but the real question is: how many of them are married or engaged?

I haven't gotten squat on our class stats yet, but I'm interested to know. There's an old addage that goes something like "never never never never never date anyone in your PharmD class", but I'm just paraphrasing. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My class is about 65% female. It's a shame that I'm getting married later this year :laugh:

Overall, females account for 67% of pharmacy students.

That's weird because I never heard that addage before you mentioned it. I heard stories of guys getting turned off by female medical students as well as doctors, but I guess if you can apply the dating rule to workplace, you can apply it to the classroom as well. Heck, at UCSF, it shouldn't be so bad dating a fellow classmate even if things doesn't work out because we only get to see each other for 2.5 years before we do a mass exodus throughout California to do our rotations.

Originally posted by neonam11
That's weird because I never heard that addage before you mentioned it. I heard stories of guys getting turned off by female medical students as well as doctors, but I guess if you can apply the dating rule to workplace, you can apply it to the classroom as well. Heck, at UCSF, it shouldn't be so bad dating a fellow classmate even if things doesn't work out because we only get to see each other for 2.5 years before we do a mass exodus throughout California to do our rotations.

It has nothing to do with the power/money issue, like some people have problems with female doctors, etc. It's just the time spent in such close proximity. I agree that it's not SO bad, but I've been told to steer clear MANY times.

It depends on class size, but think of spending every waking minute with you BF/GF and then studying with them too. It just gets to be too much, and if you break up, then the entire class knows and you're stuck in the same classes still, or as lab partners, etc for YEARS. Think anyone is going to want to touch you with a 10-foot pole after a breakup involving a classmate (that the whole class with most certainly know about)? Rotations would help, but it would still be a bad situation overall, and we all know murphy's law. Just go one class up or down (in a year), or to PA or med students or, God forbid, someone who doesn't go to your school. :)

I also know pharmacists who were recently married and graduated in the same class, so to each his/her own. Just imagine the consequences of a BAD relationship in the same class. Then again, if she's REALLY hot... :laugh:

OMG I don't want to attend a pharmacy school with 67% of female !! this a going to be a blood bath for me ! :-(

Do any of you are going to pharmacy school with more male ???? . Girls are wicked, I fear them, even if I am one myself. I get along with guys better, not to mention that I can boss them around.

wicked, me? :laugh:

VCU is almost 75% female... it's ok, get along with your pharm sisters! Trust me, back in engineering (80% male) you can be cute all you want but the guys are cruel... they just don't think you're as smart as them. When it comes to work, they will never let you shine. (that's why male pig engineers should never, ever get any!)

75% female means more girl-friends and less messy feelings. I'm ok w/ it. Besides... I like boys...and girls :D

But according to a girl from VCU c/o 2005, the guys are all married or engaged....? no fun!

I hope there are cute chica's at UOP....i really hope there is....

From a thread that began over at pharmacyweek.com forums (the most pessimistic cynical forum you will ever read :) ), I am curious how many of you future female pharmacists plan to work part time when you get married, or when you have kids (I mean say 3 months after you have had the child, not immediately after)?

Many are claiming that one of the reasons for the shortage is that colleges are accepting very qualified female applicants in very high percentages (e.g. 67%), they then get their degree, get married and end up working 20 hours per week, vs. a male applicant who would have worked full time.

I'm not taking any side, I'm just interested to know if what they claim is true. In fact, if I were a female I think pharmacy would be an awesome profession because you can work a couple days and get paid nicely and still have the rest of the week with your kids. But I also see the other point, I don't think I've worked with a female full time pharmacist in over 3 years. Its very difficult to piece together a schedule when you have requests of monday, tuesday till 2pm, fridays after 11am, etc. etc.

GravyRPH: I've asked several of my female classmates why they chose pharmacy, and one of the reasons they cited was the part-time work opportunities....quite a few are already married, and will probably start having their children when they start working.

Crying Moo: I'm speechless! I'm gonna take a cold shower now... :D