Xmas present for volunteer coordinator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princess87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :) I've been volunteering at two places for about 6 months now. Both my supervisors are women. I'm a bit torn on what to get them for x-mas presents. I think chocolates are a bit generic, so I was thinking about a Starbucks card or something but I'm still not sure. Maybe a foot spa for the cold winter days? I know it's weird that I'm on SDN for this but I bet a lot of you have volunteer coordinators to shop for too :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone :) I've been volunteering at two places for about 6 months now. Both my supervisors are women. I'm a bit torn on what to get them for x-mas presents. I think chocolates are a bit generic, so I was thinking about a Starbucks card or something but I'm still not sure. Maybe a foot spa for the cold winter days? I know it's weird that I'm on SDN for this but I bet a lot of you have volunteer coordinators to shop for too :)
:sleep:jesus f.kn christ. You don't have to get them a gift. Just give them a god damn card. 6 months and you give people gifts? I wouldn't feel any obligation to a coordinator to give a gift, much less a card. Do they work on the admin staff? :smuggrin:

I have never given them a gift or the ladies I volunteer with- they always give me something- even when I took a couple months off for personal reasons I came back in January to have a gift waiting for me. I will most likely bring a card and maybe some candy/cookies since we are busy baking at my house.

Members don't see this ad :)

As a volunteer coordinator, I can tell you that cookies, a cup of coffee, or a card saying thanks and merry christmas are all appropriate.

To the previous poster who scoffed at the OP - you might want to be nicer to the volunteer coordinator (and the rest of the admin staff, too). I write LOR's, grease the wheels to get my volunteers on killer projects, and pave the way for a ton of opportunities for folks. You hobble yourself with your own stupidity. :smuggrin:

S.

Last edited:
I just give coffee gift cards typically...seems like you can't go wrong with those

get them a card or a small gift card. seriously, i hope you're not this much of a kiss a** in real life.

:lol: Brown-nosers...

People will do anything to get recommendation letters or favors these days, including buying their volunteer coordinator a foot spa. :lol:

I think the problem is that you're thinking "christmas present". Think "Thank you for putting up with this preallo kid who i am sure is driving you crazy".

Coffee gc: $10.
Card: $2.50
Not being a jacka ss: priceless.

Are these negative replies really necessary? The OP may have felt some odd, strange feeling that the ancients called 'gratitude.' Don't forget to mention on your personal statement how kind you are :)

For the OP, as many have echoed, a card is just fine.

Are these negative replies really necessary? The OP may have felt some odd, strange feeling that the ancients called 'gratitude.' Don't forget to mention on your personal statement how kind you are :)

For the OP, as many have echoed, a card is just fine.

This is true. However, if he simply felt gratitude then why would be pose the question on a forum designed to help premeds get into medical school if he had any other intention other than getting brownie points from her to help him get into medical school.

If this wasn't the case he could have asked his mother, or sister, or aunt; I'm betting theyre all girls.

Are you all serious?! As I said, I posted here because I'm assuming a lot of you deal with volunteer coordinators and know what's appropriate. I only have a couple other pre-med friends and no one else I know does a single hour of volunteering.

It's sad that so many people assume I'm doing this for my personal gain. These people have put a lot of time into making new opportunities available to me and I just wanted to show my appreciation. Christmas seems like a good time to do that. I'm not denying I may want a ref letter in the future, but I think my effort speaks for itself.

As a volunteer coordinator, I can tell you that cookies, a cup of coffee, or a card saying thanks and merry christmas are all appropriate.

To the asshat who scoffed at the OP - you might want to be nicer to the volunteer coordinator (and the rest of the admin staff, too). I write LOR's, grease the wheels to get my volunteers on killer projects, and pave the way for a ton of opportunities for folks. You hobble yourself with your own stupidity. :smuggrin:

S.

It seems stupid to be calling people asshats for stating their opinions. Don't get these people actual gifts unless they have seriously pulled some strings for you- cards will suffice. Anything more is simply brownnosing unless you are also getting every contact in your phone's address book something as well...

It seems stupid to be calling people asshats for stating their opinions. Don't get these people actual gifts unless they have seriously pulled some strings for you- cards will suffice. Anything more is simply brownnosing unless you are also getting every contact in your phone's address book something as well...

Oh, lord. :rolleyes: That person's opinion was that the OP was brown-nosing. My opinion was that opinion was ass-hatish. Your attitude toward people (including those ancient, anachronistic expressed feelings of gratitude) can make or break you, and that's what I was trying to express. I care about the people in my program, and I do for them. If I had a kid in my program who was rude and dismissive of my efforts on their behalf, I wouldn't be as inclined to do for them. I will edit my post.

And yes, a card, or even a warm "thank you" will suffice.

Oh, lord. :rolleyes: That person's opinion was that the OP was brown-nosing. My opinion was that opinion was ass-hatish. Your attitude toward people (including those ancient, anachronistic expressed feelings of gratitude) can make or break you, and that's what I was trying to express. I care about the people in my program, and I do for them. If I had a kid in my program who was rude and dismissive of my efforts on their behalf, I wouldn't be as inclined to do for them. I will edit my post.

And yes, a card, or even a warm "thank you" will suffice.

So your saying the OPs plan of buttering the VC with gifts will work.

I'm not denying I may want a ref letter in the future.

:eyebrow:

That was kind of obvious from your original post. You're obviously expecting something in return in the future, such as a letter of recommendation for med school.

Judging someone's intentions on cyberspace? Honestly, come on. I just wanted to know a good Christmas present, not some analysis of my intentions. I know those.

Judging someone's intentions on cyberspace? Honestly, come on. I just wanted to know a good Christmas present, not some analysis of my intentions. I know those.

Like everyone else here has been saying, a card will suffice.

So your saying the OPs plan of buttering the VC with gifts will work.

No, because I didn't read the OP the way you did. I think the OP is being thoughtful rather than opportunistic. BTW, all of my volunteers will be getting a gift from me this year for doing outstanding jobs for me. And my boss gave me a bonus this year for Christmas. I guess all of us are brown-nosed opportunists...