Y Prolactin inhibits ovulation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthonyhopkins

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out in solving out the mystery, why prolacting increase inhibits menses in the females after pregnancy

Members don't see this ad.

my understanding of the relationship in general terms is that either a decrease in dopamine or a prolactinoma will increase the supply of prolactin...an increase in the supply of prolactin for whatever reason puts the brakes on GnRH production...and that's not good for ovulation...clinically, i know that when a mother breast feeds her baby the chances of her soon getting pregnant again go down...according to greenspan...the increase in the supply of prolactin inhibits the normal pulsatile secretion of LH and FSH...the production of these latter hormones depends upon a pulsatile as opposed to steady stimulation...i hope this is of some help...avi

my understanding of the relationship in general terms is that either a decrease in dopamine or a prolactinoma will increase the supply of prolactin...an increase in the supply of prolactin for whatever reason puts the brakes on GnRH production...and that's not good for ovulation...clinically, i know that when a mother breast feeds her baby the chances of her soon getting pregnant again go down...according to greenspan...the increase in the supply of prolactin inhibits the normal pulsatile secretion of LH and FSH...the production of these latter hormones depends upon a pulsatile as opposed to steady stimulation...i hope this is of some help...avi

------------------
avi newman