1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Yale anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by spacecadet22, Mar 24, 2001.

1. spacecadet22

spacecadet22 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Has anyone heard from Yale? I'm nervous and I'd really like to go there!!! Loved it! Loved the Have. Please post when you hear.
    Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Of those interviewed, about 20% are accepted, 30% placed on the wait list, the rest rejected. The class is oversubscribed by March 15. All files are under review until mid-March, at which time acceptances are sent. All others are notified of their status by March 31. The wait-list is divided into three priority groups by May 1.
    Those holding multiple acceptances after May 15 are given two weeks to decide; no response results in withdrawal of
    acceptance. If you are waiting for financial aid information from Yale, contact Admissions directly. The $100 fee to hold a position is refundable until May 15.
    By May 1 the wait list is divided into three priority groups. Chances of acceptance from the top list are high and from the middle group possible. Those wait-listed may call after May 1 to get information on their chances. Submission of the wait-list form is required to remain on the list. Additional information showing an HONEST interest to remain on the list may be be submitted. [By that time, each medical school where you are holding an acceptance is notified of all other acceptances you are holding]. Greatest movement from the wait-list: May 15-June 30. After June 15 ususally 10-15 are accepted; the wait list is closed out on the day of registration (in August).

1997-98 entering class:
    About 3500 applicants, 825 interviewed, new entrants 101 (more, how many unknown, were accepted than remain to start classes).

4. BrianKeith

BrianKeith New Member

Gower,
    You've provided some good info in the past, but here I don't agree. You said that Yale oversubscribes its class by March 15- and perhaps admissions people claimed this or went by this in the past, yet as a student at Yale, I know of only one person who has heard thusfar- he was accepted two days ago. I think he found out so soon because he has med school mail sent to his PO Box at Yale Station, while many of us, knowing that letters sent to us have been lost there before, have our med school mail sent home. So, spacecadet22, there is still hope for us- good luck!

5. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

By "over subscribes" is meant offers more acceptances than there are places actually available in he class. It is the same as overbooking on an airline flight, where more tickets are sold than there are seats available on the plane. Like airlines, medical schools that oversubscribe know from past experience how to estimate the number of accepts who will turn down their offer of a place in the class to attend some other medical school. It is clear that they also underestimate; that is why some students on alternate lists eventually are accepted, some even late in the summer.

Sometime in the 1990s Cornell misjudged and overbooked by about 8-10. They offered large inducements to cut the class size back to the usual 100, but almost all did not bite at the bait. That year they had a class that was larger than authorized. Subsequently, they were more cautious. AAMC has rules to determine class size, and medical schools which enlarge class size without authorization from AAMC risk the loss of accreditation. Class size is determined by the resources available to a medical school to provide an adequate education.

There may have been a change in Yale's procedures; if so, I am unaware of that. My information is based upon Yale's practice as of the 1999 entering class.

6. Hallie

Hallie Member
    10+ Year Member

I heard on Saturday .... GOOD NEWS! I am absolutely thrilled. I hope it works out as well for the rest of you. By the way, the 2nd look weekend is May 3-5. Good luck everyone! =)

7. kas44

kas44 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Where did you receive your letter? Thanks

8. Hallie

Hallie Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm in the southeast.

9. Hallie

Hallie Member
    10+ Year Member

Does anyone have some information on some rumors I have heard that Yale students have had more difficulty matching due to their lack of grades in years 1 & 2?

10. lestat

lestat Member
    10+ Year Member

Got waitlisted . Does anyone know how many are put on waitlist at Yale? They say that 25% of the incoming class may constitute waitlisted students. Thanks!

11. spacecadet22

10+ Year Member

I got waitlisted too! Very dissappointed but it's not over until the fat lady sings or school starts in the fall. Does anyone know how many people got waitlist letters? I wonder what my real chances are of getting in! Keep me posted with results everyone and good luck!
    much love,
    space cadet

12. lestat

lestat Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, at least we did not get rejected. More waiting until June (sigh....). I am not sure about the chances yet, I might call them tommorow.

13. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Got the nod Monday, 26 Mar.
    Hallie are you deciding between JHU and Yale? Do you have leanings? Do you anticipate going to both second look weekends? How have you weighed your decision?

14. Hallie

Hallie Member
    10+ Year Member

Oceandust,

Does "got the nod" mean you got in? I hope so! And, if so, congratulations!!!! =)

Yes, I am deciding between JHU and Yale (as well as one other school) and will be going to their 2nd look weekends. I feel so torn right now and I am hoping to get a better feel for the schools when up for a longer period of time. I am drawn to JHU because I believe that graduating from there would allow me to go anywhere for residency. BUT, I am intrigued by the "Yale system" (cheesy, I know!) and I think I would really enjoy my four years there. Baltimore and New Haven seem to balance out in terms of cost of living, social opportunities, etc. I am partial to the northeast, however. Do you have any thoughts on any of this? Are you making a similar decision?

15. Hallie

Hallie Member
    10+ Year Member

Spacecadet and lestat, hold out hope!!!!! SO many people get in off the waitlist. I think if you bug Yale and send them updates and tell them how much you love the school you will have a very good chance. GOOD LUCK!! I hope it all works out for you. I think there'll be a lot of changes come May 15. =)

16. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Congrats to you too Hallie!

Right now, I'm leaning toward Yale. JHU is probably more rigorous all the way around: from the basic sci years to clinical training. It might be true that JHU grads match better, but who knows if this difference is significant (the Yale matchlist included in the interview book wasn't too shabby at any measure). But having stayed with students at JHU, though second-years, the intensity was palpable. The students conceded that second year is the most laden with 8-5pm, M-F lectures and exams around every corner. In fact, one student said, "you should write your second year off" in terms of leisure time, having a life, etc. The students there were decidedly top-notch, but SOME seemed very concerned about grades in the first two years and class standing. Regarding competition and overall happiness, I got mixed impressions.

Yale students, on the other hand, were emphatic and concerted in their sense of happiness, and in being able to maintain a balanced life. The Yale System freaks me out some, but is a philosophy I think should be at heart of graduate schools, though there are clinical grades. The first year schedule seems consistently a 9am-1pm thing, though this is similar to Hopkins first year. As for location, Baltimore is probably a more bustling place, but New Haven doesn't seem too far behind, and is just about an hour from NYC. I think location-wise they average each other out.

In the end, I don't know how much a substantive difference their is in education, preparation, and career potential between the two, though we're fraught with our opinions. Truth is, USNews doesn't really tell us if there is any real (statistical)difference between say, the top 10 schools. So I say go where you'll be most happy. At this point it seems like I'd be more happy at Yale, but I am definitely going to both second looks to really tease apart the accuracy of these impressions in an intense "recruitment" environment....

--> OD

17. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

18. Hallie

Hallie Member
    10+ Year Member

OD -

You have voiced my sentiments exactly! =) I am leaning toward Yale as well and am getting pretty excited about it. Added bonus? FANTASTIC on-campus housing (no shuttle buses!). And yeah, I checked out Yale's matchlist last night and it's pretty incredible. I can see why the students are happy there. OD, could any other notifications change your decision?

19. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    just found out...waitlisted. 6 waitlists now. i think i'm just going to forget about all of this until june. congratulations to those of you who were accepted- best of luck-

bud

20. jimi

jimi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

found out today...rejected! [​IMG]

21. spacecadet22

10+ Year Member

Hey everybody,
    Jimi, I'm sorry! But you seem to be taking it well. Didn't you get in to some really great other places (like JHU)? Oceandust and Hallie, congratulations...For my sake, I hope you both go to JHU. Just kidding of course, you guys sound like great people and I hope I am fortunate enough to have classmates like you. But seriously I really want to get off the waitlist! Does anyone have suggestions or been successful at convincing one of these schools to pull them off the waitlist? I was really looking forward to the Yale System of doing things and I think I would really enjoy the thesis requirement. Anywho, any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Thanks so much,
    spacecadet

22. bigdirt

bigdirt Member
    10+ Year Member

Dear spacecadet,

I think doing what people have been talking about so far is the most useful:

1. A letter of interest (or a more serious letter committing to attend if accepted if this is indeed how you feel)

2. Updated info: activities, honors/distinctions, new projects, course grades, etc.

3. A phone call or two just to convince them how serious you are about Yale

4. And definitely call Dr. Silverman and tell him just how much you hope to attend. He is by far one of the nicest people I've met during this process.

Remember, being waitlisted pretty much means that you are qualified, there just wasn't enough room. So you can now distinguish yourself from all the other qualified waitlisted applicant by showing them sincere interest and accurate updates. GOOD LUCK!!!

[This message has been edited by bigdirt (edited March 28, 2001).]

23. Christiangirl

Christiangirl Membership Revoked
    Removed

mvalento,
    I have four so I know exactly how you feel. I gave myself a week to feel sorry for myself and now I am over it. I think you should give yourself sometime to mourn, but then you must at sometime be proactive. I am actually looking forward to rocking the MCAT and applying next year if need be. Hallie gave some good advice. Thank you, I will write you back later today!! I guess that I feel I am behind in my career, but part of my career is to perservere to get where I want to be. So, I am actually right on schedule.... [​IMG] There are definitely some schools that I am VERY interested in now that I didn't know much about before, so all things work out if I have to reapply. I am still going to try to get off one of my waitlists, but I think that I will ignore the others, because I am not sure all in all if they are "perfect fits for me" and I think if I dedicate myself to getting in one school I may have a better chance.

jimi - sorry to hear about yale, but you've done well girl, so be proud!! [​IMG]

24. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Christiangirl-

thanks for the advice. fortunately, i was accepted to one school (loyola) back in october, so i don't feel too bad about the waitlists. the only problem is, the school i have been accepted to does not have some things that i am looking for (e.g. MD/MPH program) so i am concerned about the effect of this on my future career. of course, i am not in med school yet and my plans are still liable to change. i don't think i'm going to reapply to try to get into a school that offers a little more, the application process this year has cost me too much in time, money and anxiety. and i am still optimistic about getting off one of the waitlists that i am on. of course, this does make my decision to apply to many schools seem reasonable- you never know what's going to happen! best of luck to all-

bud

25. 8675309

8675309 Member
    10+ Year Member

For those accepted/waitlisted/rejected could you please post your stats (MCAT, GPA, extracurriculars, personal), how your interview went, and what you think pushed you "over" the edge if you got accepted.
    Thanks

26. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Is it true that Yale is implementing a new curriculum this fall? or is this just a rumor?

27. spacecadet22

10+ Year Member

OD,
    I interviewed in early March and they said they are making some changes to the schedule but no wild new curriculum. I think they got rid of the History of Medicine course b/c the students basically refused to take the qualifier or write a paper to get credit. Interesting, huh?

28. Faustus

Faustus Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

29. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Thank you for that link, relevant to all interested in going there!

[This message has been edited by Oceandust (edited March 29, 2001).]

30. Christiangirl

Removed

Hey Faustus, are you Yale-bound? [​IMG]

31. Christiangirl

Removed

Don't I ever!! [​IMG] I probably will need rehabilitation after being on my knees so much for the next few months.... [​IMG] I know that pretty much all I can do is pray for God to direct my path at this point... The adcoms are all still subject to his will. [​IMG] It makes me feel better to know even they are not in control. [​IMG]

God [​IMG] luck with your decision and keep us posted!!

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited March 29, 2001).]

32. FinallyThere

FinallyThere Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well I haven't heard from Yale, yet. But I don't have an e-mail from Silverman. I guess that means I'll be receiving a thin letter pretty soon.