Yale CDE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoromanticide

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm planning to apply for Yale's CDE MPH program for Fall 2013. I just wanted to find out if anyone else was planning to apply for the same program, or if anyone was already in it, what your opinions are on your experience there!

Do you get assigned to a professor who will mentor you? Should I mention any professors by name that I have an interest with in doing research with in my statement of purpose?

Thanks! :D:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to the CDE MPH program as well!!

That's awesome! I'm glad there's at least someone else applying for it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in Yale's SBS program (a subset of the CDE program). Don't have time to tell you all the pros and cons, but I can quickly tell you that 1) yes, everyone gets assigned an adviser but that person may or may not be a real mentor to you (you generally have to seek out meaningful mentorship whether from your adviser or someone else at Yale like at most anywhere else) 2) yes, definitely mention people you are interested in doing research with by name

I'm in Yale's SBS program (a subset of the CDE program). Don't have time to tell you all the pros and cons, but I can quickly tell you that 1) yes, everyone gets assigned an adviser but that person may or may not be a real mentor to you (you generally have to seek out meaningful mentorship whether from your adviser or someone else at Yale like at most anywhere else) 2) yes, definitely mention people you are interested in doing research with by name

That's great! I've always worried about mentioning people in case they aren't currently doing research or advising students, etc.

If I may ask, what is your overall opinion on Yale? Do you think it is a gay friendly school?

1) I like Yale a lot. It has been a very good fit for me and my interests. Some of the intro classes are blah, but otherwise I am entirely satisfied.
2) Yes, v. gay friendly. I am out to all my classmates and a number of my professors and it's no big thing. Queers are not thick on the ground but everyone is accepting, at least to my face, and there are many opportunities for socialization with LGBT folk from the other grad and professional schools.

1) I like Yale a lot. It has been a very good fit for me and my interests. Some of the intro classes are blah, but otherwise I am entirely satisfied.
2) Yes, v. gay friendly. I am out to all my classmates and a number of my professors and it's no big thing. Queers are not thick on the ground but everyone is accepting, at least to my face, and there are many opportunities for socialization with LGBT folk from the other grad and professional schools.

Awesome. I'm really glad to hear that you're enjoying it there AND that they're gay friendly. That's one of my biggest concerns. :D Yay.