Yale Class of 2012 Thread: Wuddup Nutmeg State!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

werd814

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Bulldogs. I thought it'd be a good idea to create a space in which we, the newest cohort (scheduled) to grace YSPH with our presence, could discuss housing issues, loan situations, class selection, as well as any other concerns that may come up. Oh, and meet & greet could be cool, too.

I'll start!

Herro, my name is werd814, and I'll be studying Environmental Health, hopefully with a focus on exposure assessment and risk management.

Any good thoughts on housing? I hear some Yale Grad Housing options (http://www.yale.edu/gradhousing/incoming/index.html) are decent... Stories, do you have any thoughts on this? Also, does anyone know anything about East Rock or have any suggestions for finding non-Yale housing in New Haven/ where the best parts of town to live are?

This link is a good place to get started, if anyone else is thinking about housing/the city in general, too: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/237-new-havenct/

VERY excited to chat :cool:.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Living

Check out this place: www.elmcampus.com. They run some Yale-owned properties and I live in one.

As for safe areas to live: I'd suggest staying east of Howe St and north of Crown St. Wooster Square can be hit or miss, as can East Rock. Keep in mind, if you live in East Rock, you'll likely need to have a car or take the shuttle everywhere. It's a bit far from the medical campus area.

Hey,

I'll be part of the class of 2012 MPH in Health Management. Didn't quite make it to the admitted students visit day but heard good things. (courtesy of werd). Looking forward to meeting you all!

p.s. did anyone start getting any follow up info yet? (neccesary innocs, paperwork, when to register for classes, etc..)

-C

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Confuzzled! I'm pumped-- after meeting current students (yep, that's a shout-out to you, Stories), profs, and all of the prospies who were "leaning" toward Yale, I think the next two years are going to be amazing. Also, those leather portfolios we got were sic.

Sadly, no follow up from Yale yet. Though, I only accepted their offer Friday, so I haven't expected much, heh.

Has anyone ever had luck finding roommates with Craig's List? It sounds legit, but also quite sketchy.

Last edited:
Hey Yalies,

I will be starting at Yale this fall in Epidemiology of Microbial Disease with the Global Health concentration. Based on speaking with students at the open house, I think I may live at Harkness the first year to save some money and be really close to school. Overall, I heard positive things about Harkness...IE: it is quiet, you get your own rooms, etc. However, you are required to buy a meal plan (which may not be a bad thing if I am always on campus). I think I will wait until the second year to live off campus so I can meet more prospective roommates and fully understand the ins and outs of the surrounding areas (thanks Stories for some pointers :))

Werd: The open house definitely sealed the deal for me too. I was the guy who was awkwardly standing between the two Yale profs during the global health session. There were no seats left and I totally thought the two male profs would go up to the front of the room where the woman was speaking (she was very impressive btw) but they just kept talking while I stood between them, ha. I felt like an idiot. Oh well.

Ditto on the portfolios. Well done Yale. In the meantime, I need to turn down other schools and submit the final decision to Yale. New Haven, here we come. :thumbup:

Congratulations on making your decision SJD! It sure feels good to finally have some closure.

Until I noticed your YSPH portfolio, I actually just assumed you were a professor, haha. I guess the just-chat-from-the-doorway attitude was one of the reasons I was attracted to Yale, but, as evidenced by your apparent proffesorship, you handled the awkwardness very well :laugh:. As for me, I was to your right sitting on some cabinets. I was the only dude wearing flannel; I stood out like a sore thumb.

Yes, the closure feels great.

Gotcha, I do remember the flannel guy, ha. I don't think you stood out at all. If anything, due to the vast majority of females, anyone who was a male stood out like a sore thumb, ha. Unfortunately, I don't think we managed to chat for some reason.

Phew, I am glad I blended in. Really, there was nowhere to sit when I got there and the floor was basically occupied by chair wheels or people. Either way, that session was great and the beer to follow was even better.

hey guys,
if anyone stood out, it was me. I'm accepted into the health policy program, but what other schools did you decide from? And what about Yale sealed the deal for you? ... besides the folders of course

---------

Last edited:
hey guys,
if anyone stood out, it was me. I'm accepted into the health policy program, but what other schools did you decide from? And what about Yale sealed the deal for you? ... besides the folders of course

Honestly, it was just the folders. :D

No freakking way...I can't believed i missed free folder day. i hope they save me one.

----------

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I made the final decision to go to Yale and I'm very happy about it!! I'll be in the Advanced Professional program with a Global Health concentration and will be starting in July.

For me too, the admitted students day last Friday sealed the deal. Everyone was extremely friendly and nice. I'm very much looking forward to the experience and to meeting all of you!

P.S. Loved the folder too! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm very jealous that all of you have made your final decisions. Can anyone tell me the exact cost of tuition for the 2010-2011 school year, or the cost of the overall degree? I have seen and been told different numbers, but I thought since you are all decided, you must know. Thanks!

Honestly, it was just the folders. :D

Ditto.

Mo' Folders, Mo' Students.

But yes. It looks like I too will be joining the ranks of the Bulldogs next year. I'm almost positive on this. MPH in Health Policy.

I had a great time at the admitted student day. Heard some things I really wanted to hear. LOVE the small departments. I especially like that the masters students aren't competing with PhD students for professor attention because there just aren't all that many of them. Logistically Yale also offers some major benefits (close to home, and NYC) compared to some of my other options. It seems like research positions are pretty easy to come across and I really likes what most of the faculty in my dept are doing. The students seemed to all be really cool as well and seeing everyone mingle at that happy hour (including the dean of the school) was pretty awesome.

Plus...it's Yale. That really dawned on me when I was there.

BTW...I was also at the Global Health Meeting.

Dude in the Blue shirt and glasses who was sitting next to the girl who was asking all the questions and kinda got shut down by the professor...betsy I believe her name is (she was great btw...her short little presentation probably sold me more than anything. Really liked what she had to say especially in comparing Yale to somewhere like Columbia). I was like right in front of you SJD. Actually kind of in between Werd and SJD.

I don't, however, think I particularly stood out.

Hi,
I'm very jealous that all of you have made your final decisions. Can anyone tell me the exact cost of tuition for the 2010-2011 school year, or the cost of the overall degree? I have seen and been told different numbers, but I thought since you are all decided, you must know. Thanks!

This year's tuition is $32,500. I don't think next year's numbers are out yet, but if I had to guess, it'll probably be in the $33,500+ range.

Hey,

I'll be part of the class of 2012 MPH in Health Management. Didn't quite make it to the admitted students visit day but heard good things. (courtesy of werd). Looking forward to meeting you all!

p.s. did anyone start getting any follow up info yet? (neccesary innocs, paperwork, when to register for classes, etc..)

-C

Confuzzled...I am curious as to why you chose Yale for the MPH in Health Management. I am still currently struggling between Yale and Emory. What was your reason?

Ditto.

Mo' Folders, Mo' Students.

But yes. It looks like I too will be joining the ranks of the Bulldogs next year. I'm almost positive on this. MPH in Health Policy.

I had a great time at the admitted student day. Heard some things I really wanted to hear. LOVE the small departments. I especially like that the masters students aren't competing with PhD students for professor attention because there just aren't all that many of them. Logistically Yale also offers some major benefits (close to home, and NYC) compared to some of my other options. It seems like research positions are pretty easy to come across and I really likes what most of the faculty in my dept are doing. The students seemed to all be really cool as well and seeing everyone mingle at that happy hour (including the dean of the school) was pretty awesome.

Plus...it's Yale. That really dawned on me when I was there.

BTW...I was also at the Global Health Meeting.

Dude in the Blue shirt and glasses who was sitting next to the girl who was asking all the questions and kinda got shut down by the professor...betsy I believe her name is (she was great btw...her short little presentation probably sold me more than anything. Really liked what she had to say especially in comparing Yale to somewhere like Columbia). I was like right in front of you SJD. Actually kind of in between Werd and SJD.

I don't, however, think I particularly stood out.

I'd really like to hear more about the comparison of Yale to Columbia. I was not able to make it to the admitted students day. Could you elaborate?

This coming year's fees just went up a couple of weeks ago:

http://publichealth.yale.edu/student/fees.html

Tuition: $32,600
Tuition for AP: $40,600
Student Activity Fee: $150
Student Health Insurance Estimate (manditory... called "Yale Hospitalization, EST"): $1,925
^--- can be dropped if you can prove you have other insurance

Total with estimated room & board, course materials, and personal: $51,950
Additional cost (estimated) for AP program: $11,855

Last edited:
Confuzzled...I am curious as to why you chose Yale for the MPH in Health Management. I am still currently struggling between Yale and Emory. What was your reason?

I'm coming from a pharmaceutical marketing consulting and am getting sick of the business world, but yet find it hard to get away... :confused: (a lot of thought went into the name).

My choices were actually between several MBA programs and the MPH in health management. I figured even if I do an MBA, I would most likely stay in the Healthcare industry so the MPH made more sense for my career trajectory. I figure that way I can really sink my teeth into the issues and analytics behind the industry rather than learning business alone and without having any idea of the issues.

Also...its Yale..in the businessworld, heck in any world, the name goes a long way. I didn't apply to Emory (nor do I know too much about it beyond it's close to the CDC), so I can't really speak to that but what helped me make my decision is which school would i more regret <U>not</u> going to in 10 years ...that clinched it for me.

Hope that helps!

Hey everyone! I was accepted to the MPH program in Epi of Microbial Diseases. I missed the accepted students day, and apparently missed out on some sweet folders. I'm still debating between Yale and some other programs, mostly based on financial reasons. I'm just not sure if it's worth it to take out more than $40k in loans for a two-year master's. Any advice?

It seems a lot of folk are seriously considering Yale, but are still a bit unsure of what makes Yale stand out. Perhaps this ("Why We Chose YSPH") will help? The golden threads seem to be the attention paid to students by Yale's world class research faculty and the amazing academic environment/learning venue offered by the university.

http://info.med.yale.edu/eph/shadowbox_videos/student-interviews.html

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I was accepted to the MPH program in Epi of Microbial Diseases. I missed the accepted students day, and apparently missed out on some sweet folders. I'm still debating between Yale and some other programs, mostly based on financial reasons. I'm just not sure if it's worth it to take out more than $40k in loans for a two-year master's. Any advice?

Congratulations on your acceptance uiuc2010!

I put a LOT of thought into this before making a final decision. I'm not sure if this will help, but the factors I considered were: what type of money will I be making post-grad (do I plan to go into consulting, management, law, etc.)?; will/do I qualify for loan repayment programs?; can I handle the stress of knowing I have so much debt? (I think this one is often overlooked); can I handle whatever standard of living loan-repayment will relegate me to for how many ever years it will take for me to pay the loans off?

It's also a good idea to consider your loan/debt tolerance:
http://www.finaid.org/calculators/mastersadvisor.phtml

This thread (and others like it) might also help:
http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/10616-is-it-worth-it-to-take-out-a-student-loan-for-a-masters/

Posts # 6 and #7 in this thread may shed some light on how current Yale students cope with debt (thanks stories & calvdart): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=698813

Good luck! I probably should get back to work, haha.

Those folders were pretty swanky.

Last edited:
Hi All

May I ask those of you who were accepted to YSPH, how did you receive your financial aid notification? Email? snail mail?

I am still waiting on mine, and getting a little nervous since the 4/15 deadline is coming up to make a decision.

Thanks

Hello Team!

I will also be starting at the YSPH in fall - MPH in Health Policy with a Global Health concentration. I am super excited (not too stoked on the loans, but you only live once, right?)! My husband and I will be driving from our home state (CA) in mid-august.

Congratulations to everyone!!! :)

Also, I missed the open house. Can somebody tell me about why the Global Health presentation was so inspiring...Thanks!

p.s. I'm still bitter that I didn't get one of those cool folders.

Missmedicine,

Financial aid came by email from Karen Wellman.

@ missmedicine

I also got a finaid e-mail from Karen Wellman about a month ago. She's very approachable, though. At the open house, she recommended giving her a call (I think she only works Wednesdays and Thursdays) or shooting her an e-mail if we had any questions... and yours seems like a fairly ernest inquiry, heh.

Just wanted to throw this out there: November 20th...Yale vs. Harvard football game in Boston. Road Trip anyone! :D

Also, deposit has been received. It's official!

Awesome! Feels good to have your seat reserved, eah? :)

I wouldn't miss it for the world: at last, to have a stake in The Game.

Any hockey fans out there?

Nice! Thanks for the link PCVtoMPH... nbd, but I may have gotten a photo (plus two profs) all to myself in that slideshow. haha.

Configured my Yale NetID & e-mail today-- time to wreak some havoc on the Yale "Students" webpage!:laugh:

hey.. i'll be there this coming fall as well! EH with GH concentration. didn't get a chance to make it to admitted day, but from what i hear it was great. how are you out-of-staters getting your stuff to the area? anyone have any ideas about housing? i'm coming all the way from so-cal so i don't really have time to fly back and forth to go apt hunting. as for getting my stuff there, two words: road trip!

hey.. i'll be there this coming fall as well! EH with GH concentration. didn't get a chance to make it to admitted day, but from what i hear it was great. how are you out-of-staters getting your stuff to the area? anyone have any ideas about housing? i'm coming all the way from so-cal so i don't really have time to fly back and forth to go apt hunting. as for getting my stuff there, two words: road trip!

Trying for Yale-based housing wouldn't be a bad idea in your case. There's the dorm options and then there's the Yale-owned www.elmcampus.com rented apartments.

I have also chosen Yale - HPA, submitted my decision and received confirmation (huge relief); the visit day a couple weeks back was very helpful and certainly swayed my decision.
Looking for apts, not interested in the Yale housing (I own a condo currently and there are certain things I can't live with or live without), but have looked on Craigslist for housing downtown, Dwight St, East Rock and Wooster. Stories (or anyone) comments on these areas? Are rental agencies willing to negotiate on prices (esp in cases of up front annual rent payment)? There are some prominent rental agencies - any word on who provides great or poor service?
I plan to move out mid-June, find an apt in a day and move in...at the admitted students day someone mentioned hooking up with a local realtor to view and choose housing, any names you would recommend?

I have also chosen Yale - HPA, submitted my decision and received confirmation (huge relief); the visit day a couple weeks back was very helpful and certainly swayed my decision.
Looking for apts, not interested in the Yale housing (I own a condo currently and there are certain things I can't live with or live without), but have looked on Craigslist for housing downtown, Dwight St, East Rock and Wooster. Stories (or anyone) comments on these areas? Are rental agencies willing to negotiate on prices (esp in cases of up front annual rent payment)? There are some prominent rental agencies - any word on who provides great or poor service?
I plan to move out mid-June, find an apt in a day and move in...at the admitted students day someone mentioned hooking up with a local realtor to view and choose housing, any names you would recommend?

I'm in Yale housing, so I can't comment on the negotiation process or realtors.

As for areas to live, downtown is probably your best bet for accessibility, closeness, and things to do. But it'll be by far the most expensive. East Rock, you'll have the most space and cheapest rent, but you'll be the furthest. Dwight you'll be a reasonable distance away, but it's right on the cusp of the less nice parts of New Haven.

Dwight you'll be a reasonable distance away, but it's right on the cusp of the less nice parts of New Haven.

Could you name a few areas that are considered unsafe/to be avoided when looking for accommodation?

Thanks!

ok, i'm in. decision made, finally. EMD/GH - so excited! visiting sealed the deal, i really like the small program aspect. now on to figuring out housing...i'm thinking harkness just because it might be easiest for the first year? anyone know if we can have cars there?

ps. i'm from boston so that yale/harvard game? will be there.
also...raging hockey fan :)

Could you name a few areas that are considered unsafe/to be avoided when looking for accommodation?

Thanks!

Posted above.

Living

Check out this place: www.elmcampus.com. They run some Yale-owned properties and I live in one.

As for safe areas to live: I'd suggest staying east of Howe St and north of Crown St. Wooster Square can be hit or miss, as can East Rock. Keep in mind, if you live in East Rock, you'll likely need to have a car or take the shuttle everywhere. It's a bit far from the medical campus area.

ok, i'm in. decision made, finally. EMD/GH - so excited! visiting sealed the deal, i really like the small program aspect. now on to figuring out housing...i'm thinking harkness just because it might be easiest for the first year? anyone know if we can have cars there?

ps. i'm from boston so that yale/harvard game? will be there.
also...raging hockey fan :)

Congrats on the decision! I bet we could get a big carpool going up to boston or just amtrak it up there for the game. I too am considering Harkness and just applied for housing online. As far as parking, I will be bringing a car and actually looked at the "Air Rights" garage after the open house and it seems really safe. Not to mention and it is literally a stone's throw from Harkness. Only downside is that it is the most expensive :( (but for covered parking, its not too bad).

Hey all,

Finally committed to a decision and paid the deposit for Health Management! The inclusive culture at the open house (I'm in the green sweater) and conversations with some alum about Yale's strong ties to fellowship programs sealed the deal. Looking forward seeing you all this fall and hopefully some are interested in joining IM rugby + hockey : ]

where did you find the prices for the air rights? I found it online i just can't seem to find prices for long term.

ps. i just found this out now but apparently the fourth floor in harkness is the only one with air conditioning. too bad i already sent in my app ...but for any people who haven't yet!

also..i'm not sure if they discussed this at the admitted students day...but does anyone know what orientation entails? thanks!

edit: just found the prices...here they are if ppl want them too...
http://www.yale.edu/transportationoptions/parking/rates-student.html

Last edited:
also..i'm not sure if they discussed this at the admitted students day...but does anyone know what orientation entails? thanks!

Just before classes starts. Basics about how class selection is, expectations from students, what resources are available. Pretty generic stuff, but there's a happy hour which is great :)

Does anybody have an idea of 'good' cell phone carriers? Or if there are any student deals?

Does anybody have an idea of 'good' cell phone carriers? Or if there are any student deals?

In my experience the entire North East is Verizon or bust. As a Yale student, you can signup for a "Corporate Discount" of 17% off a month on your bill (just signup with your Yale email account). I'm sure other carriers have cheaper plans and discounts, too, but no cell carrier in the US compares to Verizon's coverage and quality (although AT&T does have faster data speeds, but they drop calls left and right and have plenty of dead spots).

In my experience the entire North East is Verizon or bust. As a Yale student, you can signup for a "Corporate Discount" of 17% off a month on your bill (just signup with your Yale email account). I'm sure other carriers have cheaper plans and discounts, too, but no cell carrier in the US compares to Verizon's coverage and quality (although AT&T does have faster data speeds, but they drop calls left and right and have plenty of dead spots).

Uh-oh...Stories has been waiting 700+ posts to pitch Verizon. It's all been a sham until this moment. Now he can finally draw that big paycheck.
:D

Uh-oh...Stories has been waiting 700+ posts to pitch Verizon. It's all been a sham until this moment. Now he can finally draw that big paycheck.

Haha, I've been found out! :laugh: Yes, I work for the Big Bad Corporate V. This whole PH thing is a farce. I've been waiting all this time just to trick you all into the mind drone of the big red map that you see on TV. Sorry if it blocks your computer monitor screen. It's just so full of coverage. :p

Hey Stories,

Do you have any advice about the best time to start looking into apartments? A pal and I have already started looking, but I'm curious to know if maybe the best apartments don't come on the market until, for example, June or something.

I'm, also curious if you have any insider tips on the competitiveness and/or quality of the 2/3-bdrm Yale-owned apts (like Esplanade & Berkeley)?

Cheers for all your help! :)

werd814

Edit: I was just going to shoot you another PM, but I figured other people might like to hear your (very helpful) thoughts as well.

Hey Stories,

Do you have any advice about the best time to start looking into apartments? A pal and I have already started looking, but I'm curious to know if maybe the best apartments don't come on the market until, for example, June or something.

I'm, also curious if you have any insider tips on the competitiveness and/or quality of the 2/3-bdrm Yale-owned apts (like Esplanade & Berkeley)?

Cheers for all your help! :)

werd814

Edit: I was just going to shoot you another PM, but I figured other people might like to hear your (very helpful) thoughts as well.

Hmm... I'm not 100% sure on the market search because I did mine at a distance through Yale-owned properties (which I trusted enough and was okay doing so). As for the difficulty of getting Yale-owned apartments--it's not easy. Start early and cross your fingers. The quality is mixed, but generally on the better side than not.

Hello, I will be entering Yale Class of 2010 for Microbio Epidemiology MPH!
It feels good to finally decide and I am very happy about my decision.
I couldn't go to the admitted students day because I was doing an internship in China, but I am really excited about meeting everyone in the fall.