Yale/Cornell/NYU/Montefiore/Dartmouth/Cleveland Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmike1983

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty ranking the aforementioned programs. Can somebody please provide some insight that may assist me in my decision making. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow what a random list of programs...

Availability of fellowship (in an area of interest), desire to practice in that geographic area post residency..

And your impression of how you mesh with the programs in question...

Forgive me for being vague. What I meant was is anybody can provide any information about the programs from their actually experience. It is not sufficient to rely on what residents say during interview days because they will obviously say good things. This is the optimal place to get a fair and balanced view of the programs. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't mean if the residents say good things about the program. I ment how research oriented is the program, did the residents and staff have a personality that you seem to have a similar approach?

You name two programs in NYC, one in mid state NY, NH, CT, and OH...
If you are trying to eventually work in New England, you are better off at something other than CC in OH.

It might be helpful if you told people what you are looking for out the residency program. That and do some searches.. people have discussed a few of those programs on here in the past.

yes there is basically no theme whatsoever to those programs, hell they arent even all in one geographic area which tells me you just applied to a ton, got interviews at these and are now trying to rank em.

Step 1:
Just get a 6 sided dice
Assign each program a number
Roll dice

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

I think djmd's initial advice was quite insightful... There have to be some tangibles on which you can base your decision, and he gave you a couple. Hearsay about which program is better, etc., are unlikely to be helpful.

I am having difficulty ranking the aforementioned programs. Can somebody please provide some insight that may assist me in my decision making. Thank you.

for whatever it's worth..clev clinic in my eyes clearly stands out as the winner. OUTSTANDING faculty there, and great teaching (hell, i'd attend ANY residency that Jenny Hunt teaches at).

I am having a hard time ranking Yale, NYU, and Cornell. Can anybody provide opinions as to which is the stronger and weaker programs of the three? Thank you

I am having a hard time ranking Yale, NYU, and Cornell. Can anybody provide opinions as to which is the stronger and weaker programs of the three? Thank you

You're not giving us much to work with. What are your career goals and what do you want to get out of a program?

I want a program that more teaching focused then service focused but at the same time a program that provide sufficient volume and variety. I don't want to go to a place where residents are simply seen a cheap labor. Attending have to be more then willing to spend time teaching residents and just can't be primarily focused on service turn over. If thats how they feel then they should be at place without a residency program. Now obviously every program will present themselves as caring about resident education and training. So obviously I am trying to figure out who are the liars.

I want a program that more teaching focused then service focused but at the same time a program that provide sufficient volume and variety. I don't want to go to a place where residents are simply seen a cheap labor....So obviously I am trying to figure out who are the liars.

I'm afraid you may not get much help here, because they will each have advantages & disadvantages. These are all good programs and you will have adequate training opportunities at any of them. It's a fact of life that no matter where you go, there will be some attendings that really enjoy teaching and others that could care less.

Attending have to be more then willing to spend time teaching residents and just can't be primarily focused on service turn over. If thats how they feel then they should be at place without a residency program. .

The pathology departments have actual work to do; training residents is just a part of the overall mission. The mission is usually service, research and teaching - in order of priority, based on my experience....

You should be looking at what part of the country you'd like to live in when you're done, and how you get along with the residents you'd be working with at the respective programs IMHO.

Last edited: