Yale Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saffron

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the yale essay is so weird...it gives you 6000 characters :eek: to talk about why you want to go to yale, but then the directions also add "use this space to discuss other things not in your app."

SO, do they want why yale? and other stuff all rolled into one essay, or are you using the space to write 2 separate essays? there is also an additional page, so i was thinking of doing the why yale part on the first page, then going to the second page and attaching another essay...only i dont know whether we are supposed to use up all 6000 char. on page 1 before going to the second page. what did you do? two separate essays, or just put everything in one? what did you talk about?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Saffron-

Some of this has been covered before...Nevertheless , here is my take:

They state that one has "up to" 6000 characters. Not that one is expected to use it all. I did not type in 6000. Perhaps about 5100. I used about 5 blocks to explain why i wanted to attend Yale (What makes Yale outstand for me) and 1 for personal things I would enjoy doing in New Haven. The additional page I used for more stuff about me. Best Wishes!

Dr.Perez

P.S.: Nevertheless, they are down and have been twice today...I suspect AMCAS' programmers may be working a part-time at Yale's website... :p

Saffron,
On the instructions page, they have explicitly stated that you may not continue your essay on the additional page. Hope that helps :)

I used three maybe four of the blocks. Like you I was confused by their instructions. Ultimately, I ended up trying to weave my answers to the two questions into one essay. I left the optional section blank. Amcas has two essays plus the one from Yale should be enough. But my situation is a little different, I personally sent letters to the admissions office notifying it of things I wanted added to my file--I have a couple Ws on my transcript so I had the registrar at my school explain them in a letter as being representative of classes I dropped on the first day of the semester (my school has a weird way of posting withdrawals). But if you don't send in personal explanations for what would otherwise be blemishes on your app I would probably use that space.