Yale (full COA) vs UT Southwestern (full COA scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mickeyyy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: I have been offered additional money at Yale and narrowed my choices down to Yale and UT Southwestern. Currently completely torn between the two. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Context: I am very lucky to have narrowed to these three great options. I am definitely interested in academic medicine, with a particular interest in pediatric orthopedic surgery. If I switched interests it would be do peds, gen surg, or IM and then specialize. I am interested in clinical research but not basic science research. I am from Texas, but I am not certain I want to be in Texas long term (70/30 yes I do vs. no I don’t). Any feedback about this decision is much appreciated!

Yale (Full COA no loans)

Pros
  • Yale system: very low stress and lots of freedom
  • Lots of support for 5th year research
  • Dual degree opportunities (if I decide I want to get one)
  • Seems like a tight-knit supportive faculty community
  • Match List is excellent
  • University Campus
Cons
  • New Haven
  • Didn’t get great vibes from current students and interviewees (but didn’t meet too too many)
  • Losing reputation in the medical community?

UT Southwestern (full COA scholarship, no debt)

Pros
  • Close to family
  • Dallas
  • Already have established research connections here
  • Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children is one of the best for pediatric orthopedics
  • Strong home residency programs
  • Strong network within the state
Cons
  • Not as highly ranked as the other options
  • More regional reputation
  • Less diverse student body in terms of geography (90% from Texas)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you should take the full COA offer at UTSW. While lower ranked than Yale and Penn, it’s still a top notch school and has a high level of prestige, especially in Texas. It’s the best school in Texas if I’m not mistaken. That coupled with your connections to research there, proximity to your support system. and your current specialty interest make it an easy choice.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you shared the full COA award at UTSW with Penn? They’ve mentioned several times in the virtual penn preview materials that they want to know other offers, and they have a reputation for matching. Definitely worth a shot if you like them more!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you shared the full COA award at UTSW with Penn? They’ve mentioned several times in the virtual penn preview materials that they want to know other offers, and they have a reputation for matching. Definitely worth a shot if you like them more!

They unfortunately wouldn't match

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I’d go utsw>Yale>penn unless you’re dead set on a super competitive specialty... Then you might stand to benefit from considering Yale which is 120-140k less than penn, but still matches very well.

Having interviewed / been accepted to all three, I would say UTSW. It's a great school that will set you up for anything you may want to do, it's full COA, and it's close to family. I personally got very similar negative vibes from Yale as you did, and the hospital was a huge turn-off for me but n=1. See if you can get Penn to match UTSW though. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Yale must have slid a bit since the time I interviewed there; this is second post I've seen where people had a bad interview day. I agree with the other posters that Penn wouldn't be worth it for me at that price point. Also, Penn has a "Benjamin Fox" funded research year in peds ortho, so if you're still interested in it as an MS3, you can apply into that and still get the Penn experience.

If you have thoughts of leaving Texas, I'd go with Yale's offer. It will be an uphill battle 4 years down the line when you have to convince residency programs that you are serious about leaving Texas.

Yale must have slid a bit since the time I interviewed there; this is second post I've seen where people had a bad interview day. I agree with the other posters that Penn wouldn't be worth it for me at that price point. Also, Penn has a "Benjamin Fox" funded research year in peds ortho, so if you're still interested in it as an MS3, you can apply into that and still get the Penn experience.

If you have thoughts of leaving Texas, I'd go with Yale's offer. It will be an uphill battle 4 years down the line when you have to convince residency programs that you are serious about leaving Texas.

About half of the class from UTSW leaves Texas for residency training every year. (For OP's sake, this year's ortho match list was fairly Texas-heavy, but last year's was the opposite, so it averages out at about half!)

You might get a few residency programs doubting your desire to leave but that's not the norm. Considering 90% of the class is from Texas (and Texans tend to *love* their home state), 50% leaving is actually a pretty good sign of being able to leave the state if you want.

I have received more money at Yale and therefore eliminated Penn from my decision and narrowed the schools to Yale and UT Southwestern. I would love any further insight to either school based on my pros and cons. I am completely split at this point.

Based on everything you have mentioned I think UTSW is the ideal choice. You have a built in support system, you will graduate med school with 0 debt, you have many ties to the school and it is still a highly prestigious university (this is coming from someone in the northeast). This is in addition to a sub-par interview experience and a declining USNWR ranking makes it seem like UTSW is the right choice.

I'd go to Yale. Ivy vs non Ivy?
I have received more money at Yale and therefore eliminated Penn from my decision and narrowed the schools to Yale and UT Southwestern. I would love any further insight to either school based on my pros and cons. I am completely split at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate on the package you received from Yale? When you say "Full COA no loans", does that mean you'll get to go for free?

Yes! My cost of living and tuition would be covered

OP I think you need to determine how important prestige is for you. The Yale namesake will help you at the likes of Harvard/Stanford/Hopkins etc. residencies moreso than UTSW. If that is not so important, it would probably be in your best interest to attend UTSW.

Going to Yale is not going to stop you from going into any residency, also the Yale System is great and unlike any other medical school. However, if you like UTSW more than Yale for opportunities, culture, vibe, location, etc., it's a completely valid choice. But I will say that not having to stress about exams and having limitless opportunities at Yale is great, and New Haven is a really nice place once you get to know it. PM me if you want to talk about the culture and vibe at Yale, really sorry you didn't have a good interview experience!

Yes! My cost of living and tuition would be covered

In that case I would pick Yale. Easier time during medical school, easier time applying to top tier academic residency programs. If having family nearby is important to you, then choosing UTSW is also reasonable. I wouldn't let your existing research connections weigh too heavily in the calculations because you shouldn't have trouble establishing fruitful research connections at Yale, especially if you take a research year.

UTSW for sure. Even tho not as highly ranked as Yale, it’s still a powerhouse school. You can go anywhere from UTSW. Plus id rather the Texas heat over cold northeast.

Yale is the obvious choice due to the Yale system. There's no competition here. Do yourself a favor and just go there. From here on out delete this thread and commit there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 9 users