Yale Health Policy MPH or UNC Global Health MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panther22

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been accepted into both Yale and UNC for the 2 year MPH programs beginning in fall of 2022 and would love some input while deciding which to attend. On the one hand, UNC is better ranked (#2) and well known within public health, especially for its global health work, which is the concentration I would be pursuing. It is also the more affordable option as of now (haven't heard from either about scholarships). On the other hand, everyone I've spoken to in related fields (medicine, law) view Yale (ranked #14) as the stronger choice due to the university's international reputation. I eventually want to pursue either a JD or a PhD in public health, and my uncertainty about which doctorate to pursue later on is complicating this decision, as I know the Yale MPH could open more doors if I want to ultimately pursue a law degree, whereas UNC is the stronger option within public health itself. As I am interested in global health and human rights work, I would plan to add on a Global Health concentration if I were to attend Yale, while I would be adding health policy electives if I choose UNC. Does anyone know more details about how Yale and UNC are viewed in the public health world and when looking for jobs, especially in interdisciplinary fields? What questions should I be asking while making this decision? I would be really grateful for any advice or input anyone may have - thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice would be to attend Yale, it just opens doors to more networks and opportunities because of the reputation of Yale. I would consider UNC over Yale if UNC was offering a significant scholarship that Yale wasn't offering.

Note: I'm not in public health.