yale med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wetlightning

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, sorry for multiple threads today, but just wondering

in terms of comparison to the other top 20's, how does yale figure in working with students who have excellent gpa's but perhaps not 35+ mcat's??

i've heard harvard, jhu, and cornell are more open to that, but just wondering about yale...seeing if i should add it to my list. definitely not including wash u and columbia considering my 33 MCAT :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know anything about Yale, or are you applying there because its "Yale?"

Im not asking this to sound like a jerk, but before you apply (to any school for that matter), see if you like the program there.

I personally, did not like the Yale system where most days include having less than 40% of the students in class while most sleep in.

Members don't see this ad :)
very good points, yale was not initially on my list at all, and i've already sent off my amcas

couple of people have told me to look into it, so i just wanted to run it by folks on this board before wasting 30 bucks :)

wetlightning said:
very good points, yale was not initially on my list at all, and i've already sent off my amcas

couple of people have told me to look into it, so i just wanted to run it by folks on this board before wasting 30 bucks :)

Dude. I mean this in the nicest way, but you totally have to calm down!

You'll come to realize that this process is, in a lot of ways, a CRAP SHOOT.

Yale is like all of the other schools in that it's a bit unpredictable. Some people who are there will have an MCAT of 28; others will have a 44. Don't limit your options based on your MCAT. That's just silly. Also, don't hesitate to apply to Columbia - a 33, while a little below their average, is great! WashU, well, I think is a bit of a different story. Can you say number *****?

Truth is, a 33's not going to keep you out at any school; just like a 40+ isn't going to get you in. I know people who were accepted to Columbia with, again, a 28 MCAT and a 36+. That's why these schools give you the average MCAT score.

Getting back to Yale: If the no-test thing is your bag, then go for it. If living in New Haven is your bag, then go for it. If writing a thesis is your bag, then go for it. It's $30 and, what, like $85 for the secondary? And travel costs if you get an interview? If you like the program, do it!

ajt2003 said:
Dude. I mean this in the nicest way, but you totally have to calm down!

You'll come to realize that this process is, in a lot of ways, a CRAP SHOOT.

Yale is like all of the other schools in that it's a bit unpredictable. Some people who are there will have an MCAT of 28; others will have a 44. Don't limit your options based on your MCAT. That's just silly. Also, don't hesitate to apply to Columbia - a 33, while a little below their average, is great! WashU, well, I think is a bit of a different story. Can you say number *****?

Truth is, a 33's not going to keep you out at any school; just like a 40+ isn't going to get you in. I know people who were accepted to Columbia with, again, a 28 MCAT and a 36+. That's why these schools give you the average MCAT score.

Getting back to Yale: If the no-test thing is your bag, then go for it. If living in New Haven is your bag, then go for it. If writing a thesis is your bag, then go for it. It's $30 and, what, like $85 for the secondary? And travel costs if you get an interview? If you like the program, do it!

wow, thanks for the good advice...i'm gonna do a bit more curriculum research then...appreciate it :)

wetlightning said:
ok, sorry for multiple threads today, but just wondering

in terms of comparison to the other top 20's, how does yale figure in working with students who have excellent gpa's but perhaps not 35+ mcat's??

i've heard harvard, jhu, and cornell are more open to that, but just wondering about yale...seeing if i should add it to my list. definitely not including wash u and columbia considering my 33 MCAT :smuggrin:

Actually, Yale's average admittees had ~3.75 GPA. Harvard's had ~3.85 GPA. Columbia's had ~ 3.70 GPA. All had ~ 35 MCAT (11V/12P/12B) averages.

With that in mind, you may have better odds at Columbia than at Yale or Harvard.

I would advise you to consider what kind of program your applying into when you apply to Yale. I am going to be a first year there next year and it was one of my top choices. Yale is different, it offers a very low stress system where students actually learn an enormous amount ( not attending lectures does not mean they are not putting in the hours and hours of work to learn material). I for one will be attending most lectures because that’s how I learn best. In addition to its low stress system, I have found the thesis requirement to be one of the greatest draws. The thesis is a chance for you to explore something you’ve been interested in and it doesn’t have to be hard bench science, it can be anything with an ounce of relation to medicine.

My advice is if you have a small interest, apply, hopefully get an interview and see if that school clicks on that day. I knew I would go to Yale after second look weekend, being at a place for a day or two really helps you decide, go after that interview and see what its like. If you want to talk more my email is [email protected].

Remember, compared to other high-ranked schools, Yale's boards pass rate tend to be significantly lower. There system relies entirely on student self-motivation. If you cant demonstrate this signficantly with your course work and activities, a low MCAT score will hurt. However, if you took a ton of classes and conducted a lot of independent research projects, they're admissions committee would look upon you more favorably.

BTW, anyone know of a website where the post the boards stats for med schools?

not to complicate matters, but I'd like to point out that there are exceptions to the WashU "numbers *****" rule. I was interviewed and waitlisted there with stats very similar to yours. I ended up withdrawing, but don't rule out any school based on a 33 on the MCATs, its definitely enough to get you in the door :) good luck!

ajt2003 said:
Don't limit your options based on your MCAT. That's just silly. Also, don't hesitate to apply to Columbia - a 33, while a little below their average, is great! WashU, well, I think is a bit of a different story. Can you say number ?

I dunno - I got waitlisted at WashU with a 34 and NO DEGREE! I didn't even have a BS. Still don't. That doesn't sound too "number whorish" to me. . .

TheMightyAngus said:
Remember, compared to other high-ranked schools, Yale's boards pass rate tend to be significantly lower. There system relies entirely on student self-motivation. If you cant demonstrate this signficantly with your course work and activities, a low MCAT score will hurt. However, if you took a ton of classes and conducted a lot of independent research projects, they're admissions committee would look upon you more favorably.

MightyAngus, I'd really like to know where you get this information. I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, but I've never seen any numbers printed concerning Yale's board scores/pass rate. Your last question adds to my suspicion. Let's practice a little evidence-based medicine. Could you please back up your statement that, "compared to other high-ranked schools, Yale's boards pass rate tend to be significantly lower."

Thanks!

Whitney said:
MightyAngus, I'd really like to know where you get this information. I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, but I've never seen any numbers printed concerning Yale's board scores/pass rate. Your last question adds to my suspicion. Let's practice a little evidence-based medicine. Could you please back up your statement that, "compared to other high-ranked schools, Yale's boards pass rate tend to be significantly lower."

Thanks!

good call! mighty angus, i just wanted to say that i appreciate your holistic approach to med school admissions!

would like to see these numbers, however

and thanks everyone for all the responses! keep em coming if you'd like

i think i'm adding yale and columbia :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I just wanted to echo what my fellow future classmate said. Yale is probably not for everyone, but after 2nd look weekend, I picked it over columbia mainly for the system of education (Columbia is fantastic, but a much more stressful experience). I have an MCAT that is below the mean of both of these schools, so don't be discouraged quite yet. Give them a try, and if you would like any more info on Yale, PM me. I would be happy to let you know why I thought it was the best med school around!

From what I hear, Yale really likes students who are "not-typical" pre-meds. I know a few people that went there and it seems that their life experiences made up for mediocre grades/scores. I may be wrong, but I think they definitely put more weight on who you are as a person and what you have to contribute than a lot of other schools. High scores/GPA wont get you in, especially at Yale.

TheMightyAngus said:

Hey Angus, you're not going to find a comprehensive website with boards stats because most top schools refuse to release this info. The only way that I know of to really find out about is to talk to students at the schools you are interested in. I've heard that schools like Penn and Columbia are supposed to have really high boards, but I wasn't aware that Yale's are particularly low in comparison to PBL-heavy programs such as, say, Harvard. If you don't think that you'll stay on top of the material without someone poking you with a cattle prod, than Yale's clearly not the right place for you. But one look at the residency placements should convince anyone that Yale can prepare you very well if you go there for the right reasons.

msafain said:
My advice is if you have a small interest, apply, hopefully get an interview and see if that school clicks on that day. I knew I would go to Yale after second look weekend, being at a place for a day or two really helps you decide, go after that interview and see what its like. If you want to talk more my email is [email protected].

I'd like to echo what msafain says here. I put Yale on my list mainly because of geographical proximity and I honestly thought that the program sounded kind of wierd. Prior to visiting, I couldn't really imagine myself there and I was pretty sure that I wouldn't go if admitted to other schools of comparable caliber. But then on the interview day, I wound up loving the students, faculty and facilities -- it very quickly shot to the top of my list. I went to the second look, and this was confirmed. I certainly don't expect that everyone will have this sort of dramatic conversion experience, but it's a good idea to keep an open mind.

sven said:
Hey Angus, you're not going to find a comprehensive website with boards stats because most top schools refuse to release this info. The only way that I know of to really find out about is to talk to students at the schools you are interested in. I've heard that schools like Penn and Columbia are supposed to have really high boards, but I wasn't aware that Yale's are particularly low in comparison to PBL-heavy programs such as, say, Harvard. If you don't think that you'll stay on top of the material without someone poking you with a cattle prod, than Yale's clearly not the right place for you. But one look at the residency placements should convince anyone that Yale can prepare you very well if you go there for the right reasons.

The closest thing I have found is this website. http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/
You can pick up to a set of three schools and then scroll down and they have "adequecy of curriculum preparing for step 1" as indicated by their students. A number higher to 5 the more the schools helps prepare you and i guess you might be able to concluce that translates to higher board scores. But again this is the only comprehensive list of schools to board scores I can find online.

tennisnr said:
The closest thing I have found is this website. http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/
You can pick up to a set of three schools and then scroll down and they have "adequecy of curriculum preparing for step 1" as indicated by their students. A number higher to 5 the more the schools helps prepare you and i guess you might be able to concluce that translates to higher board scores. But again this is the only comprehensive list of schools to board scores I can find online.

Just keep in mind the extremely small sample sizes for some schools.

Whitney said:

Thanks!

I dont have any statistics to back up my claims, only ancedotal evidence from physicians and residents. However, if you look up Yale in the Interview Feedback thread, you find many similar perspectives.

Considering that all medical schools across the country teach essentially the same material, I think that how well a given med school is going to prepare me for the boards is extremely important. After all, your board scores significantly affect where you'll go for residency.

My impression of Yale students is that they are more laid back and dont need to work as hard as med students from other schools. If you are self-motivated and dont need structure, ****, Yale may be perfect for you. But I just dont see how their system is conducive to high board scores since they're competing with students who spend their first two years absolutely exhausted from putting in the hours to study.

What we need is some Yale med students to comment on their experience.

tennisnr said:

very helpful, thanks

beponychick said:
From what I hear, Yale really likes students who are "not-typical" pre-meds. I know a few people that went there and it seems that their life experiences made up for mediocre grades/scores. I may be wrong, but I think they definitely put more weight on who you are as a person and what you have to contribute than a lot of other schools. High scores/GPA wont get you in, especially at Yale.

man do i hope you're right!!!!

TheMightyAngus said:
I dont have any statistics to back up my claims, only ancedotal evidence from physicians and residents. However, if you look up Yale in the Interview Feedback thread, you find many similar perspectives.

Your original statement was "Remember, compared to other high-ranked schools, Yale's boards pass rate tend to be significantly lower." You state this as a fact, and, even worse, as information that everyone knows and that the OP should take into account. Just because there are "many similar perspectives" does not make them correct. Many of those people might just be spreading a bunch of **** they heard (like you) or probably just assumed because they couldn't imagine being self-motivated enough to succeed in such a system.

I do hope you learn to think for yourself and start to base things on reliable facts before you make decisions as anyone's physician.

angus!!!

i trusted you.....:(

haha, anyway, i guess i'll try and ask others about yale's board rates-- if they are willing to disclose the info

Why does it matter? They match well. I would love their system. In fact, I don't go to class neither... Self-study is my friend.

Whitney said:
Your original statement was "Remember, compared to other high-ranked schools, Yale's boards pass rate tend to be significantly lower." You state this as a fact, and, even worse, as information that everyone knows and that the OP should take into account. Just because there are "many similar perspectives" does not make them correct. Many of those people might just be spreading a bunch of **** they heard (like you) or probably just assumed because they couldn't imagine being self-motivated enough to succeed in such a system.

I do hope you learn to think for yourself and start to base things on reliable facts before you make decisions as anyone's physician.

Are you for real? Don't you realize that 99% of everything written on these boards is complete bullsh*t and hearsay? You cant expect anything said to be correct, let alone "reliable facts." Some things you cant find out with certainty.

What school is gonna come out and say that their med students have to do hours on end of scut work? What school's gonna say that their faculty hate teaching med students? What school's gonna admit that creating a self-motivated system is a cheap way of exonerating faculty from teaching duties? No school is gonna say these things, but people who get these impressions sure as hell are.

I want to know about these things for damn sure. I want to know what exactly to ask during interviews and school visits. I want to know if I'm paying for a diploma or for an education. Most people on these message boards do too, thats why they're here. And to attack me for expressing my perspective, how ridiculous are you!