Yale MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the average GPA/GRE of admitted students is? I can't find it listed anywhere on their website. Also, my undergrad advisor was telling me that they are very generous with financial aid and scholarship money. Does anyone have any more info on this? It kind of surprised me when he said that, because I remember some people on here in the past saying they paid 40k+ per year.

Members don't see this ad.

I checked also and could not find any averages. Their mph website states that they do not have minimum gre scores. I am hoping to be accepted there. Like you, I have heard very nice things about Yale.

I am also hoping to be accepted there... it is a nervous time waiting! Which concentrations have you both applied to? Biostatistics is my first choice, Chronic Disease Epi my second. I wonder when we will hear...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also hoping to be accepted there... it is a nervous time waiting! Which concentrations have you both applied to? Biostatistics is my first choice, Chronic Disease Epi my second. I wonder when we will hear...

I actually haven't applied yet. I will be applying this summer and hoping to start Fall 2008. My concentration will also be Chronic Disease Epi.

How early did you apply? I'm wondering if submitting my application in August/early Sept. would give me any sort of advantage, but I don't know if they have rolling admissions or not.

I actually haven't applied yet. I will be applying this summer and hoping to start Fall 2008. My concentration will also be Chronic Disease Epi.

How early did you apply? I'm wondering if submitting my application in August/early Sept. would give me any sort of advantage, but I don't know if they have rolling admissions or not.

They don't appear to have rolling admissions. I completed my SOPHAS application in mid December, and their deadline was Feb 1st. The information on the website leaves it wide open as to when we may hear... "The Admissions Committee at Yale School of Public Health will begin making admission decisions and offers of admission on February 1, 2007. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. All decisions regarding admission will be made by May 31, 2007."

I've seen no indication anywhere that anyone has yet received a decision. In previous years, it looks like people were getting decisions second half of feb and during March.

They don't appear to have rolling admissions. I completed my SOPHAS application in mid December, and their deadline was Feb 1st. The information on the website leaves it wide open as to when we may hear... "The Admissions Committee at Yale School of Public Health will begin making admission decisions and offers of admission on February 1, 2007. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. All decisions regarding admission will be made by May 31, 2007."

I've seen no indication anywhere that anyone has yet received a decision. In previous years, it looks like people were getting decisions second half of feb and during March.

By the way, are you applying with work experience or coming right out of undergrad? Yale seems to be one of the few schools that take recent college grads, but I still have a feeling my lack of work experience may hurt.

By the way, are you applying with work experience or coming right out of undergrad? Yale seems to be one of the few schools that take recent college grads, but I still have a feeling my lack of work experience may hurt.

A bit of both: in brief, I'm international (from the UK), graduated '06 with a first class honours degree in Industrial Economics, worked prior to and during university in a clinical research organisation, statistical programming etc. Am currently on a year internship here in the States, with a cardiovascular research group in Boston. Feel like my app is reasonably strong (GREs 770Q, 660V, 6.0A, very positive refs, etc), but you never know really... waiting is killing me! I'm hoping biostats is one of the less popular concentrations, I really have my heart set on the course.

Seems like one of the most important aspects is having a really strong rationale behind your application, future direction, etc.

I too am waiting to hear back from yale mph... its my top choice! I'm still undergrad (in my final year) but I have a lot of relevant international internship experience which I tried to play up big time in my personal statement. I'm applying for Social and Behavioural Sciences. I've got my fingers crossed tight for admission AND financial aid.

I applied to environmental health. I'm from Africa and intend to do some environmental work over there. Yale is also my first choice for so many reasons. I wish you guys success and hope that we all hear from admissions by March.

maiden, i'm african too though i'm currently an international student in the US. hopefully we both get in, no?

Sure Mimiluau, I hope we both get in. I'm also an international student in the States.

I'm an international student in the U.S., too, and applied to M.P.H. in Yale (Health Policy and Administration) and Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences). How are you funding your education? Is taking out loan the only way? I'm trying to apply to a few private scholarships...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its probably going to be loans from my home country at least in part, but I spoke to the Yale SPH people at a Schools of Public Health expo thing last autumn and they (apart from being extraordinarily nice people) mentioned that departments might have grant money available and so to call the departments to check and to keep fingers crossed that you get some money. The website says no financial aid for international students though.

Yeah, I've been thinking about how to pay for school. I do know that Yale offers university-funded loans to international students without a cosigner. Do any of you intend to apply for this loan? I wonder what their credit criteria is? Who else is applying to environmental health sciences at Yale?

I spoke to the Yale admissions office yesterday on another matter, but asked when we might expect to hear our decisions from them. They said 'We'll be sending out some letters next week, and some the week after'. It made it sound like maybe it is two separate batches, perhaps acceptances and rejections... (but no idea which way round they might be sending them). Of course, it may just be different departments too. They didn't make it clear whether this would include all of the decisions, or only some of them.

I know that's not a huge amount of information, but I hope that this provides some reassurance to everyone that maybe we won't be kept in suspense much longer.

Good luck everyone. :)

do you think they will email us before we receive the letter in the mail like all the other schools? i am at school and all my mail for schools is being sent home, 10 hours away. yikes. i want to find out as soon as possible!

do you think they will email us before we receive the letter in the mail like all the other schools? i am at school and all my mail for schools is being sent home, 10 hours away. yikes. i want to find out as soon as possible!

thats why i used my school address..

I received my chronic disease Epi acceptance by standard mail

I received my chronic disease Epi acceptance by standard mail

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what kind of public health experience did you have before applying? Chronic disease is the concentration I'm interested in, so I would like to get a better idea of what they are looking for. Thanks

I received my acceptance last Wednesday (Feb 21st). I am currently an undergraduate and will be graduating in May with little public health experience. I have, however, worked part-time during the school year at the CDC in the Malaria Branch. Anything else I can do for you? Good luck everyone!

Anybody else still yet to hear from Yale (management or anyother track for that matter?)....I made an addendum to my application close to the deadline... perhaps that pushes you back in the pile?

Admitted - columbia, health management (Feb 31th)
Admitted - NYU Wagner (MPA, health policy and management) (yesterday)

Anybody else still yet to hear from Yale (management or anyother track for that matter?)....I made an addendum to my application close to the deadline... perhaps that pushes you back in the pile?

Admitted - columbia, health management (Feb 31th)
Admitted - NYU Wagner (MPA, health policy and management) (yesterday)

i have not heard anything.. then again i submitted only a few days before the deadline

maiden, i'm african too though i'm currently an international student in the US. hopefully we both get in, no?

Mimiluau, have you heard from Yale or any other school yet?

Nope... I'm obsessively checking my campus mailbox and e-mail though, so hopefully something comes soon... I hate the uncertainty! To be fair though, I did apply really close to the Yale deadline. If I get in, I'm almost definitely going to go... I'm praying really hard.
Thanks for asking.:)

By the way, Maiden, did you apply anywhere else? Or just Yale? Have you heard anything else?

Nope... I'm obsessively checking my campus mailbox and e-mail though, so hopefully something comes soon... I hate the uncertainty! To be fair though, I did apply really close to the Yale deadline. If I get in, I'm almost definitely going to go... I'm praying really hard.
Thanks for asking.:)

By the way, Maiden, did you apply anywhere else? Or just Yale? Have you heard anything else?

I applied to just one other school in the state where I live, and I have not heard from them yet. Their application deadline is March 1 so they may have not started deliberating on applications. It doesn't matter to me if I'm accepted there because I want to attend school at Yale. I would only consider this other school if I am offered a good scholarship :)

I pray that you get in also. Hope your letter comes this week or next. Take care!

1. What do you know about their friendliness with financial aid?

2. Are any of you visiting at times other than admitted students weekend?

I'm finishing law school in Alabama, and debating the merits of the effort to make it up then, versus a trip on my own when I won't miss quite as much class. I imagine it'll be about an 18 hour drive for me.

3. Have you heard or know anything about housing there, and whether it's best to go on or off campus?

Best of luck to those waiting to hear back. Checking the last couple of years of acceptance threads, delays in response are by no means indicators of a negative result.

1. What do you know about their friendliness with financial aid?

2. Are any of you visiting at times other than admitted students weekend?

I'm finishing law school in Alabama, and debating the merits of the effort to make it up then, versus a trip on my own when I won't miss quite as much class. I imagine it'll be about an 18 hour drive for me.

3. Have you heard or know anything about housing there, and whether it's best to go on or off campus?

Best of luck to those waiting to hear back. Checking the last couple of years of acceptance threads, delays in response are by no means indicators of a negative result.

1. To me it looks like the financial aid isn't as generous as some other places (i.e. Emory), which, if so, sucks because it is expennnsssiiivvvee. Also, they're the only school I've encountered that requires Parental info for grad students need consideration (unless you're 26+ years old)
2. I am visiting there in 2 weeks, as I already had the trip planned before I discovered the admitted students weekend. I am kind of concerned I am not going to learn anything by going and just... looking at the building (which from what I read all over is ugly =( =( )? But I will go on a general campus tour (which will probably be frosh-geared)... I am really excited to go though!
3. I've heard of this place called the "grad ghetto" which is apparently where most grad students live (?) and is in East Rock (?)… or some people live in "the Towers" apartments which is really close to the EPH building (?), or there is one dorm called something tower in which grad students can live in too, apparently. All I know is there isn't much on craigslist or online in their newspaper... maybe more listings will come up later in the spring or early summer?? I hope!