Yale (New Haven) vs UCSF ($$$)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caligrrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am over the moon about both of these schools, but am in a dilemma about which to choose. If $ were not a consideration, I would head straight for UCSF. Second-look weekend there was amazing, I loved the students and could definitely see myself there for 4 years. I couldn't make it to Yale's second look, but loved my interview there.

I have family in Cali, went to undergrad on the east coast and would prefer to stay in Cali. However, UCSF is currently $20k more in loans than Yale per year and I'm not sure if $80k is worth the luxury of staying in CA. Then again, the current med students I met at UCSF didn't seem to think the $ was too big of a deal in the long run and that I would be more than capable of paying them off with even a modest physician's salary. I'm already -$70k from undergrad though so it just seems like an insane amount of $ to discount as unimportant.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into:
a. whether an extra $80k make a difference in the long run in terms of difficulty repaying the loans
b. whether new haven is as terrible/dangerous/boring as everyone makes it out to be
c. how difficult it is to get into a CA residency from an east coast school
d. whether the clinical opportunities differ vastly between the 2 schools

Many thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Given your situation I'd stay in CA. There's a small but significant difference between CA match rates between top tier west coast and east coast institutions even correcting for self-selection and it's compounded by you doing UG on the east coast.

I am over the moon about both of these schools, but am in a dilemma about which to choose. If $ were not a consideration, I would head straight for UCSF. Second-look weekend there was amazing, I loved the students and could definitely see myself there for 4 years. I couldn't make it to Yale's second look, but loved my interview there.

I have family in Cali, went to undergrad on the east coast and would prefer to stay in Cali. However, UCSF is currently $20k more in loans than Yale per year and I'm not sure if $80k is worth the luxury of staying in CA. Then again, the current med students I met at UCSF didn't seem to think the $ was too big of a deal in the long run and that I would be more than capable of paying them off with even a modest physician's salary. I'm already -$70k from undergrad though so it just seems like an insane amount of $ to discount as unimportant.

a. whether an extra $80k make a difference in the long run in terms of difficulty repaying the loans
b. whether new haven is as terrible/dangerous/boring as everyone makes it out to be

I unfortunately can't comment on a, c, and d as I don't know much about UCSF, but I worked at Yale SOM for several summers and lived in the area and honestly, it gets far worse a bad rep on SDN than it deserves. Yes, there are certain areas of New Haven you don't want to walk alone in late at night or live in, but I think that can be said for most cities in the US. Yale SOM is often part of that discussion because a few blocks west of the campus it can get sketchier.

New Haven has a lot of really well known, highly regarded restaurants (its pizza very much included), has some fun bars, has several theaters/concert places and generally speaking has a fairly large "young professional" crowd due to its obvious connections with Yale and its proximity to New York. It isn't a raging metropolis but it definitely isn't the hell hole some people may think it is. Along those same lines, getting to NYC from New Haven is super fast and cheap.

I do understand the dilemma though, SF is obviously really nice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
the honest truth is go with the school that makes YOU happy. Money should not be a huge consideration (although it probably seems huge) because you will end up being able to pay it back. But you don't want to be 50 yrs old and regret not going to a school that you absolutely loved!!!

SF is an amazing place to be. Its a city like no other. UCSF is a sensational school with a remarkably relaxed atmosphere. If you heart says UCSF go with it.

thanks for the input everyone. i'm also worried about the finances of UCSF going forward because CA is totally broke and tuition has been increasing like crazy at the UC's with less and less $ for grants/scholarships. Even if I'm fine spending $20k more in loans this year, I'm afraid this might grow to 25-30k/year by my 3rd and 4th year.

Plus, it seems like Yale really takes care of their students and has the finances to back that up....

here's a vote for taking the $$$... i totally get your concern over the unstable state of UC finances, and besides i have a very hard time believing that you would have trouble returning to CA for residency given a Yale education and the fact that you have significant ties there.

here's a vote for taking the $$$... i totally get your concern over the unstable state of UC finances, and besides i have a very hard time believing that you would have trouble returning to CA for residency given a Yale education and the fact that you have significant ties there.

QFT. Take the dough. Go to Yale and work hard. No one can say for sure, but I doubt going there would put you at a significant disadvantage come residency compared with applicants from the CA schools.

You're being very wise be considering all of the factors ($ included) in your decision. It sounds like you'd be happy in both places, and I think that definitely tips the scales in favor of Yale. No one can say for sure, but coming from Yale, if you work hard and are an otherwise-solid applicant for your chosen residency, I doubt you would be at a disadvantage compared to applicants who went to CA schools.

Btw, not sure what the terms of your loan are, but you might fiddle with the numbers in a loan calculator to see what the difference would be long term. This calculator estimated your payments on that $80,000 would be $888/mo for 10 years for a total repayment of $107,000. That's a significant sum.

http://www.collegeanswer.com/financing/lt_financial_planning/ltfp_monthrep.jsp

Status
Not open for further replies.