Yale or BID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could help me out here.
I'm finding it difficult to schedule in flights out east to both of these places and have the feeling I'm going to have to sacrifice one of them.
If you had the choice, which would you interview at?
BID seems to be a good program but perhaps overshadowed by it's proximity to the other big Harvard programs? Haven't heard too much about Yale here. Obviously, Boston is a much more of a city that New Haven, but other than that, which would you consider a stronger program? Fellowship matches? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

med1234 said:
Wondering if anyone could help me out here.
I'm finding it difficult to schedule in flights out east to both of these places and have the feeling I'm going to have to sacrifice one of them.
If you had the choice, which would you interview at?
BID seems to be a good program but perhaps overshadowed by it's proximity to the other big Harvard programs? Haven't heard too much about Yale here. Obviously, Boston is a much more of a city that New Haven, but other than that, which would you consider a stronger program? Fellowship matches? :confused:

BID

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think one program is significantly better than the other. based on location i would choose boston over new haven.

med1234 said:
any particular reasons why?

bof said:
i don't think one program is significantly better than the other. based on location i would choose boston over new haven.

i would definitely choose yale. bid is a nice program and affiliated with harvard. but it's really overshadowed by mgh and bw, in terms of internal medicine residency. boston is nicer. but i think yale is probably a bit stronger.

It depends on what you value the most in a residency program...I think both would offer good fellowship matches, though Yale may have a slight advantage. However, BIDMC itself has amazing fellowship programs and attendings (I did a rotation in ID there), and though it lacks the national reputation of BWH and MGH, by no means is it overshadowed here in town. The collaborations and comraderie among the different programs is really notable in Boston; BIDMC residents share Oncology rotations with residents from BWH and MGH, and BID, BWH, and BU residents share responsibility for the W. Roxbury VA. If this sounds appealing to you, I would choose BID, but if you prefer being part of a residency program that is "the only game in town" and assumes total care for an entire city population, I'd choose Yale. I haven't met any Yale residents, but I haven't met a single BIDMC resident that regretted going there. And as far as location, Boston rules.. :cool: