Yale School of Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Path2Felicity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everybody- this is my first thread here!

I was just wondering if anybody has been accepted to the Yale School of Public Health. If so, are you thinking of going there? Will you be going to the open house on april 8? I just got my acceptance a few days ago, and I am pretty excited about the program (Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases).

Members don't see this ad.

Hihi!

Yes, I got accepted to Yale as well for Health Policy and Administration. However, I don't seem too thrilled about going there - I'm not even sure if I'm going to visit. I seem to be much more excited about Michigan (because they're ranked #1 in my field), and Columbia (because it's New York City, and I'm a big city person). Maybe I should go and visit anyways?

You should go anyways! Hehe... There are a lot of things that I really like about Yale and am very excited to go down there. Where do you live? If you are sure you are not going, maybe it's not worth even coming and see if you live far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into the Yale Health Management program and if I end up getting my MPH next year (as opposed to MD) I'll probably go to Yale. I visited it on Tuesday b/c I can't make it on the 8th, and I really liked it. The campus is great and the students seem really happy. New Haven is nothing special, but it's getting a lot better than it used to be. The director of my program was reading off where everyone got summer interships and where the graduates are going, and I was really impressed. Every job was either large pharmaceutical, hospital, or something along the lines of Ford Foundation, CARE, WHO, USAID. Overall, I really liked it. I don't like Baltimore AT ALL and living in NYC as a poor student is pretty depressing in my experience. :)

It's good to know that you liked Yale so much! I'm really looking forward to going to visit. Right now, I'm trying to decide between Boston University's program or Yale's program. Anybody have any advice for me?

Path2Felicity said:
You should go anyways! Hehe... There are a lot of things that I really like about Yale and am very excited to go down there. Where do you live? If you are sure you are not going, maybe it's not worth even coming and see if you live far away.

Hihi!

I'm from California, so yes, definately a long way for me to go. I'm still not sure if I'm going yet, I need to RSVP by 4/4.

I got into Yale as well. I am in the Global Health development track. Actually I had a meeting in NYC and got a chance to visit Yale. The people are very nice and the faculty actually have the time to sit down with you and discuss things, which I think is a big plus specially when it comes to internships. The living conditions are amazing specially if you compare it to Columbia. I personally am leaning towards Columbia more because of their overall ranking and higher job placement but lets see. Yale definatey deserves a visit. You learn a lot about the campus and the program. Even got a chance to attend a class. The classes are very small and more discussion based. Because the program is very small you can get alot of attention and everyone knows everyone else atleast in their departments. Personally I thought Hopkins was the worst. It is huge and very impersonal. It is very geared towards a research career atleast that is what I felt. So I probably will not be there. Hope this helps.

Homer101 said:
I got into Yale as well. I am in the Global Health development track. Actually I had a meeting in NYC and got a chance to visit Yale. The people are very nice and the faculty actually have the time to sit down with you and discuss things, which I think is a big plus specially when it comes to internships. The living conditions are amazing specially if you compare it to Columbia. I personally am leaning towards Columbia more because of their overall ranking and higher job placement but lets see. Yale definatey deserves a visit. You learn a lot about the campus and the program. Even got a chance to attend a class. The classes are very small and more discussion based. Because the program is very small you can get alot of attention and everyone knows everyone else atleast in their departments. Personally I thought Hopkins was the worst. It is huge and very impersonal. It is very geared towards a research career atleast that is what I felt. So I probably will not be there. Hope this helps.

Just out of curiosity, what program did you get into at Colombia? As far as I remember, there wasn't a global health program there, was there? Maybe I'm mistaken. Yeah, I am really looking forward to my visit to Yale. I went to Penn State as an undergraduate, which is a huge school, so I think smaller, more intimate classes and relationships with professors will be a good change for grad school. What was the job placement like at Yale as compared to Columbia? Also, isn't Hopkins ranked first in the country? Sorry for all the questions- just a very curious person ;)

Columbia has a international health emphasis. So you can get into the MPH with your emphasis in global health. But they want international experience and a secondary lang apart form english. So I got into the MPH with global emphasis.

Columbia has good internship programs but it depends on what department you are in. Like you need to be in a department that has jobs in the NYC area.

Hopkins is very very reputable around the word. So if you get in thats the place to go because the research oppertunities over there are limitless. Like you said they are ranked NUMBER 1.

Yale I felt didn't have a good placement program. Firstly the internship you do after your first year YOU NEED TO FIND AND LOCATE IT ON YOUR OWN. Secondly out of 7 people I meet 5 were going back to grad school to get more degrees. 4 going to medical school and one was going to Busniess school. Also their career center is not that big and they work on how to fine tune your skills to get a job. Also they don't have a normal grading system. Yale has its own grading system like honor, pass, fail. So this is a major disadvantage when you apply to other graduate schools, who might not be as used to the system. The people were very nice and the school is definately small. Hope this was helpful.