Yale Status Page Panic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://medapps13.med.yale.edu/msa/msa_web.status

Just thought I'd add to the hysteria.

Who's going to check this page incessantly in hope of discovering the slightest alteration that might indicate the fate of our application?

GuyLaRouche? getunconscious?

Members don't see this ad.

Mateodaspy said:

Who's going to check this page incessantly in hope of discovering the slightest alteration that might indicate the fate of our application?

Matt, why do you care? You have Harvard. That's the prize. Now, quit being such a future Harvard med student (you know, the over-achieving types that need to get in everywhere even though they already know they're going to Harvard). Now, what were you saying about Yale now? I didn't know getunconscious applied to Yale. In any case, I just checked my status page and nothing is different. Is there anything different on yours?

hey both you douches

is yale still giving interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
GuyLaroche said:
Matt, why do you care? You have Harvard. That's the prize. Now, quit being such a future Harvard med student (you know, the over-achieving types that need to get in everywhere even though they already know they're going to Harvard). Now, what were you saying about Yale now? I didn't know getunconscious applied to Yale. In any case, I just checked my status page and nothing is different. Is there anything different on yours?

i actually don't think i'm going to go to harvard - i actually have my heart set on penn.

nothing's different on mine. was just joshin'!

no need to be so mean :(

Mateodaspy said:
i actually don't think i'm going to go to harvard - i actually have my heart set on penn.

I just think we're all a little bit on edge...and understandably so. I don't think anyone means any real ill will towards you!

Oh, and there's a better chance of hell freezing over rather than Yale's status page actually proving useful. Or informative. Or worthwhile.

Regardless, we'll know in a week! A. WEEK!

Boola, boola!!!

Mateodaspy said:

just curious, what did you like better about Penn? i had a great time talking with the students, they really sold me on penn. seems like a great atmosphere.

Mateodaspy said:

Matty, baby, you know I love ya. See you in Nashville... that is, if you're still going.

just curious, for you harvard, penn and yale folks....which BACK UP schools will you be dropping??

Mateodaspy said:

Ugh, me apply to Yale? F that, I hate the ivy league!

Best of luck to you as you labor to decide which top ten school to attend.

:barf: :rolleyes:

which one would you pick, and why?

Members don't see this ad :)
krelian said:
I'm willing to bet that the OP will end up going to Harvard too, despite his claim to the contrary.

They all do eventually. However, I should tell you that Matt is truly altruistic and isn't your typical pathetic, low self-esteem premed, who needs Harvard to compensate for other lacking qualities. I am, however, of that lot. Still, Penn is hard to drop even for Harvard. I have been reading the official Harvard thread, and I am concerned about the 2005 entering Harvard class - if the SDN-ers are any indication. They sound like they're going to be super annoying (with a very few exceptions). But then again, I am just jealous.

Sparky Man said:
just curious, what did you like better about Penn? i had a great time talking with the students, they really sold me on penn. seems like a great atmosphere.

Penn is less research-centered -- I want to be a primary care physician working in underserved communities. I believe that my going to Penn would help nurture that aspiration of mine as I'd be surrounded by people who want to do the same....

The students seem much happier and down-to-earth at Penn... much more gay friendly, many out faculty members... Plus, Philly has a much better nightlife than Boston where everything closes at midnight. F.uck that. If I wanted that I'd stay here in Houston.

Less small group-work...Better structured curriculum.. cheaper with the possibility of merit scholarships (please God let me get one....)

We'll see.. I have two months to decide. :confused:

I

rachel711 said:
just curious, for you harvard, penn and yale folks....which BACK UP schools will you be dropping??

I should be dropping everything in my mdapps profile by april 1st (except harvard, penn and baylor)

getunconcsious said:
Ugh, me apply to Yale? F that, I hate the ivy league!

Best of luck to you as you labor to decide which top ten school to attend.

:barf: :rolleyes:

unless i get hella great fin aid at a top ten, i'm going to a cheap in-stater (or vandy).

GuyLaroche said:
They all do eventually. However, I should tell you that Matt is truly altruistic and isn't your typical pathetic, low self-esteem premed, who needs Harvard to compensate for other lacking qualities. I am, however, of that lot. Still, Penn is hard to drop even for Harvard. I have been reading the official Harvard thread, and I am concerned about the 2005 entering Harvard class - if the SDN-ers are any indication. They sound like they're going to be super annoying (with a very few exceptions). But then again, I am just jealous.

weren't you w/l'd at harvard or am I thinking of another larouche?

Mateodaspy said:
weren't you w/l'd at harvard or am I thinking of another larouche?

Not even the courtesy of a waitlist. This was a straight-up rejection. Plus a waitlist at Harvard is pointless. Harvard calls, you go.

Mateodaspy said:
Penn is less research-centered -- I want to be a primary care physician working in underserved communities. I believe that my going to Penn would help nurture that aspiration of mine as I'd be surrounded by people who want to do the same....

The students seem much happier and down-to-earth at Penn... much more gay friendly, many out faculty members... Plus, Philly has a much better nightlife than Boston where everything closes at midnight. F.uck that. If I wanted that I'd stay here in Houston.

Less small group-work...Better structured curriculum.. cheaper with the possibility of merit scholarships (please God let me get one....)

We'll see.. I have two months to decide. :confused:
I

I agree that Penn has a better curriculum and I am impressed by their stellar board scores. Does anyone know Harvard's board scores? Didn't know about the difference in gay-friendliness. I've only been to each city a few times. But, like Laroche says, most people will sell out if Harvard comes calling. Glad to hear you know what you are looking for. Good luck, man.

Sparky

Mateodaspy said:
... cheaper with the possibility of merit scholarships (please God let me get one....)

Um, Matt, just to spice things up for the night, I should tell you that God does not like gays. So, you'd have to stop being gay if He is to grant that scholarship wish. Otherwise, refrain from using His name - you sinner!

In other news, I can't wait for Upenn and Yale decisions. Congratulations to you for getting to see the UPenn decision. I am so mad I missed it. Also, answer my damn IMs!

This thread cracks me up. :thumbup:

Treg

BTW, both HMS and Yale have given me the shaft pre-interview. Whatever, I didn't want to experience their Ivy snobbery anyway! Ha! :D

Mateodaspy said:
unless i get hella great fin aid at a top ten, i'm going to a cheap in-stater (or vandy).

Did you like the pic of me throwing up on you? :) I hope you find the best place for you, stop panicking about yale!

Treg said:
This thread cracks me up. :thumbup:

Treg

BTW, both HMS and Yale have given me the shaft pre-interview. Whatever, I didn't want to experience their Ivy snobbery anyway! Ha! :D

so you're dropping cornell & columbia, and not hoping for penn?

whitecoat09 said:
so you're dropping cornell & columbia, and not hoping for penn?

I am about 95% sure that I will either be at Wash U or U of Alberta, so yes.

:cool: Treg

Treg said:
I am about 95% sure that I will either be at Wash U or U of Alberta, so yes.

:cool: Treg

Sweet...another spot at Columbia will be opening up! And my friend's most likely going to Harvard instead...and CarleneM is going to Harvard too - so that means that at least 2 spots at Columbia will open up and 1 person will be off of the Columbia waitlist...oh, and I have another friend who's going to Cornell, so she's giving up her waitlist spot at Columbia, too! Hazaah! Those of us who were waitlisted at Columbia are getting closer!

But anyway...about Yale. How's that status page workin' out?

ajt2003 said:
Sweet...another spot at Columbia will be opening up! And my friend's most likely going to Harvard instead...and CarleneM is going to Harvard too - so that means that at least 2 spots at Columbia will open up and 1 person will be off of the Columbia waitlist...oh, and I have another friend who's going to Cornell, so she's giving up her waitlist spot at Columbia, too! Hazaah! Those of us who were waitlisted at Columbia are getting closer!

But anyway...about Yale. How's that status page workin' out?

I didn't get into Columbia so I won't be opening up any spots there: Just one less person on the waitlist.

Ajt- I'll bump myself off Columbia's wl for you too-

I'm curious (I thought Penn was great and if Yale weren't in New Haven (4 more years?) I'd be more sold on it tho I clearly have to get into both before this becomes relevant), but why are you guys so easily dropping Cornell? I think it has some of the most amazing resources out there for research at least with Rockefeller et al. curious?

I love Cornell, and I agree it has a great program, resources, etc. You can't forget that class is always out by 1 pm, which is a big bonus! If you read some of Neuronix's posts about Penn, it sounds like the curriculum is really intense, so they have very little free time. The benefit is that you get that extra clinical time in second year...

It would be really difficult to move with my husband, toddler, and dog to Manhattan, after owning a nice house in a family-oriented neighborhood just blocks from the med school. This is why I am probably going to stay or go to Wash U (similar living arrangements available).

Treg

CarleneM said:
I didn't get into Columbia so I won't be opening up any spots there: Just one less person on the waitlist.

I know - that's what I wrote...I think. At least that's what I meant to write...I think I'm loopy already.

sockandmittens said:
Ajt- I'll bump myself off Columbia's wl for you too-

*ajt blushes shyly*

ajt2003 said:
I know - that's what I wrote...I think. At least that's what I meant to write...I think I'm loopy already.

on a totally unrelated topic- I see you are a top model fan as well. I am irrationally obsessed with that show. In fact, last wednesday when i went out for a celebratory dinner, i programmed my vcr to tape the show and watched it immediately after my parents left.

CarleneM said:
on a totally unrelated topic- I see you are a top model fan as well. I am irrationally obsessed with that show. In fact, last wednesday when i went out for a celebratory dinner, i programmed my vcr to tape the show and watched it immediately after my parents left.

See, I KNEW there was a reason I liked you! (Aside from your hotness and general down-to-Earth coolness.)

Yes, I too am obsessed. And I'm not sure why. That show is one of my guilty pleasures. Totally trashy. Totally drama-filled. Totally delicious. Have you gone onto televisionwithoutpity.com? They do weekly recaps of ANTM (as well as a lot of others), and it's laugh-out-loud funny. Seriously - I have to close my office door when I go onto that site.

My but how this thread has digressed, eh? Whatever. Totally worth it.

Best part? It's so ON TONIGHT!

krelian said:
Penn is very research oriented and has been hiring new faculty at a rapid pace in an attempt to boost its total NIH grant. Penn is 2nd in total NIH grants and also 2nd when it comes to NIH grants for just the main hospital. I don't know how much this research-focused attitude rubs off on the students, but don't think that Penn cares any less about research than its peer.

I tend to agree with this. There are surely valid reasons for choosing Penn over other top schools, but a perceived emphasis of primary care over research is probably not one of them.

ajt2003 said:
See, I KNEW there was a reason I liked you! (Aside from your hotness and general down-to-Earth coolness.)

Yes, I too am obsessed. And I'm not sure why. That show is one of my guilty pleasures. Totally trashy. Totally drama-filled. Totally delicious. Have you gone onto televisionwithoutpity.com? They do weekly recaps of ANTM (as well as a lot of others), and it's laugh-out-loud funny. Seriously - I have to close my office door when I go onto that site.

My but how this thread has digressed, eh? Whatever. Totally worth it.

Best part? It's so ON TONIGHT!

I haven't gone to televisionwithoutpity.com. I'll have to check that out. One of my coworkers went to Brown and was friends with Yaya (from last season) until a little falling out over the use of a bathroom at a party. So it was fun to talk about the show with her, especially as Yaya advanced to the very end. I feel a bit trashy watching the show but at the time find it very fascinating.

And just to include something medical in my post: I think the impression the Dean at harvard gives to prospective students on interview day for NP is that people interested in primary care are in the minority and not really the focus of the school. I think that he is exaggerating and the school is no more research focused than penn. I mean, there isn't a research or thesis requirement for NP and it seems to attract many interested in the more clinical/policy side of things. HST is probably a different story since there is a thesis requirement, i think.

CarleneM said:
I haven't gone to televisionwithoutpity.com. I'll have to check that out. One of my coworkers went to Brown and was friends with Yaya (from last season) until a little falling out over the use of a bathroom at a party. So it was fun to talk about the show with her, especially as Yaya advanced to the very end. I feel a bit trashy watching the show but at the time find it very fascinating.

And just to include something medical in my post: I think the impression the Dean at harvard gives to prospective students on interview day for NP is that people interested in primary care are in the minority and not really the focus of the school. I think that he is exaggerating and the school is no more research focused than penn. I mean, there isn't a research or thesis requirement for NP and it seems to attract many interested in the more clinical/policy side of things. HST is probably a different story since there is a thesis requirement, i think.

Tyra Banks is a total loser and so is Harvard. In the case of the latter, how dare they.... Let it go, Guy. Let it go.

Man, lots of haters in this thread. I mean yea, I'm hoping I can pick up some of these successful applicants' sloppy seconds, but I'm not hating on them that they did so much better than me in the process. More power to ya!! I tend to see admissions as applicants vs. med schools, not applicants vs. applicants. Just my two cents. :D

oh my god...i have been obsessed with top model from the beginning! and i still to this day believe that elise and ya ya should have won!!!!! anyways, i plan on watching tonight if i get back from this party in time.