yale? umass?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slammy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on Yale or UMass?
Is Yale's being a division of surgery injurious?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the answer because I don't know about either program. However, in regards to Yale, they lost their accreditation for surgery for this current year (i.e. they have no residents for 2002-2003 I believe, it may be next year as well). But when the department of surgery is in charge of the EM, it can make you wonder.

Just a thought.

According to the ACGME website the EM program has continued full accreditation at Yale. I have heard good things about UMass. I will be visiting both places in the next 10 days and certainly I will be asking Yale about whether we should be concerned, but from talking to other PDs and attendings I doubt the surgery thing would affect the ED at Yale.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale's surgery program lost accredidation, but I'm not sure what their current status is. I know that they still have residents including new PGY1s -- I know because one of my friends is in her first year there right now. I'm not sure about the details, but I do know that they needed to come under compliance with workhour regulations.

-James

Oh -- and it shouldn't really affect the EM residency too much except when the residents rotate off-service in surgery.

From Yale Surgery Website, they sure do have a lot of FMGs, especially in the latter years.
They listed their program as being fully accredited. The program looked great on paper, if the website is to be believed.

I'm not saying it would be great but I doubt it would be fatal to the EM program. (2 months of trauma and 1 month of SICU) Obviously, if the hospital closed to trauma that would be a different issue...

Not directly on the topic here, but if you have never been to New Haven, CT...make sure you weigh that into your decision.

I don't know the area of UMASS that well, but I am well acquainted with New Haven.