yale v. penn (sorry in advance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DLK

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am having a really tough time making this decision and believe me I know i am lucky to have it.

i am interested in the md/mba program, and while that seems to make penn rise to the top, I do not want to make decisions for med school based on a potential joint degree

i like the flexibility in both programs, students seemed happy, the match lists were great...

any info (and i searched...i don't believe this has been discussed) or thoughts would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I always tell people when they're considering the Wharton MBA program in addition to the MD program is to make sure they have significant experience in business, economics, or health care policy before they come in. It's really not so easy to get into the MBA program, so don't let the interview make you think that anyone can just come in and do that. If this doesn't apply to you, forget I said it :)

As for student happiness, it's a mixed bag here. My personal happiness oscillates depending on which block I'm in. It certainly would be nicer not to have this H/P/F bull**** and there's alot of other things people complain about. Anyways, I'd be happy to talk more about Penn with you if you so desire. Feel free to ask more questions or PM me for more details.

Is there a financial difference between the two? That could be helpful in deciding as well.

Good luck and congrats on your success!

I'm in a similar predicament, and agree whole-heartedly with not giving a possible joint degree too much weight. You can make it work (there's a kid at Hopkins doing an MPP at the Kennedy School of Govt, etc). Plus, Yale's MD/MBA program is really well-run, and you'll get great mentoring there, although there isn't as much depth as Penn/Wharton.

Two possible thoughts:

How much do you care about being in a big city?

Do you like the Yale system? To me, this would be the biggest difference between the two schools. Yale is very flexible in terms of academics, and I don't think Penn is as much.

Two great choices -- "You can't go wrong"! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, who wouldnt i kill to be in your shoes? i can't offer anything more than the advice that's already been given. have fun deciding :)

One thing to consider is how much flexibility will be best for you. Sometimes, too much academic freedom can be a bad thing. I've found out in college that I need some structure. I like self-directed learning, but the extra pressure of a more rigorous curriculum can force you to learn the stuff you might otherwise think isn't important enough to learn - may or may not be a good thing. That's something only you can gauge though.

You might throw boards scores in here, as well. Last I heard, Penn was tied with Baylor for the 2nd highest average board scores in the country (Mayo was higher at 236... 235 for Penn and Baylor). I've heard Yale's scores are also strong, but never seen the number - others have told me they're not strong. If I had to bet, I'd bet they were very good, but not as good as Penn's. Again, though, averages don't matter all that much - if you're in the environment you're going to learn best in, you'll get the highest score you're capable of getting.

There are definitely good things to be said about both programs. I obviously like the 1.5/2.5 basic/clinic split that Penn has, but that Yale System is really cool. They have match lists that'll measure up to anyone else's, so they're even there. But they're very different programs, so really consider which curriculum would be best for you. Cost might be another way of deciding between the two. But you've got two great choices, which is all any of us can hope for, right?

Congratulations, and good luck.

Periodic--

Did you get off the Yale waitlist? That's terrific! Many congrats!
Where were you on the list? I'm still hoping to hear soon...

Yale vs. Upenn... that's what you call a happy problem to have!!

BaylorLion said:
Last I heard, Penn was tied with Baylor for the 2nd highest average board scores in the country (Mayo was higher at 236... 235 for Penn and Baylor).

:eek: what kinda ass kicking did i just get myself into

Newquagmire said:
:eek: what kinda ass kicking did i just get myself into

On the accepted student website at UPenn, which gives the averages for the past 6 or so years, the 2003 avg is shown to be 236, not 235...

*2002 average was 235.

klooless said:
On the accepted student website at UPenn, which gives the averages for the past 6 or so years, the 2003 avg is shown to be 236, not 235...

*2002 average was 235.

:eek: like whoa

Sorry, klooless... the only list with a decent number of schools I've seen so far has been from 2002. Suffice it to say, Penn students beat up on the boards like the Mavs and Pacers.

Newquagmire, you going to Penn?

BaylorLion said:
Newquagmire, you going to Penn?

I know a spot that just opened up today ;) BTW, I think average board scores are kind of irrelevant, barring large differences. Alot of top schools are up in the 220s and 230s for averages and I just think that's splitting hairs.

Neuronix said:
I know a spot that just opened up today ;) BTW, I think average board scores are kind of irrelevant, barring large differences. Alot of top schools are up in the 220s and 230s for averages and I just think that's splitting hairs.

can i get a what what yeehaw? :D

too bad one of my friends here turned penn down to go lead columbia's intramural basketball team :( one dr-dr david tuveson said i should email him before he left for the NKI ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks rodolfo (name sounds familiar...from a video game or movie?) - still waitlisted..I've been talking to a ton of folks, and I don't think Harvard is as different in terms of students as I thought it was. Yes, there are some institutional differences, but there are happy, fun people at all these places. They all support you and have great faculty and resources. I was talking to a family friend, a resident at Brigham in medicine, who said that you're really going to have a great experience at any one of these places.

I know Yale's started down the high priority waitlist, from a friend and others who have posted here. And, I withdrew from Penn via their nifty online account...so "similar predicament" might be an overstatement..

Can't add more to Yale vs. Penn. I don't think the differences (aside from large ones like cost, location, flexibility of curriculum) are as acute as we make them out to be. All those things being equal, do you want to be in Philly and eat cheesesteaks or New Haven and eat pizza and burgers in their supposed American birthplace? In some ways, that could be the most crucial difference :0 For me, things are starting to gel, and they will for you.

Newquagmire said:
can i get a what what yeehaw? :D

too bad one of my friends here turned penn down to go lead columbia's intramural basketball team :( one dr-dr david tuveson said i should email him before he left for the NKI ;)
YEEHAW!

Not quite sure what I yeehaw-ed for there... I'm beginning to feel like I'm stalking these boards. Why do yeast take so long to grow up? #@$@#$ 4-hour incubations...

Newquagmire said:

What did Tuveson say about him leaving for NKI? And what is NKI??? :confused: :confused:

Both great schools. I don't think the difference in board scores is significant enough to matter. Students at Penn take their boards after 3rd year (instead of after 2nd like most med schools) so they think that gives them an advantage, but it could work both ways.

Students at Penn seemed a little more stressed to me. Penn is p/f the first term while Yale is p/f for two years.

Another point to consider: Yale SOM's facilities are brand new and the overall institution of Yale is in the process of pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into facilities and programs at the medical school.

Finally, Yale's international programs for med students are second to none, where Penn's seemed lacking to me.

But those are just things to consider. Ultimately, you should go with your gut. It's a great choice and you can't go wrong.

ImmunoANT said:
What did Tuveson say about him leaving for NKI? And what is NKI??? :confused: :confused:

he's not leaving-leaving. i meant he was here visiting and is going to the NKI (Nederlands Kanker Instituut) next. globe-trotting scientists, yikes.

thanks for all of the great advice...after speaking with more students, the curriculum differences are a big deal and I think I am now going to be making a much more informed decision!

best of luck to everyone

dlk

Eric, we are all waiting for the egg to hatch .... :D :laugh:

i decided on penn

in the end, i realized i would work better in a system with some exams and structure

additionally, i realized being in new haven for 4-5 years was not really my cup of tea and i need some semblance of a city around me:)

thanks for all of your help!!

DLK said:
i decided on penn

in the end, i realized i would work better in a system with some exams and structure

additionally, i realized being in new haven for 4-5 years was not really my cup of tea and i need some semblance of a city around me:)

thanks for all of your help!!

congratulations =)