Yale vs Duke Med for RadOnc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

excalibur86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's like asking which is a better exotic sports car: Ferrari or Lamborghini?

Depends on your tastes.

You can't possibly go wrong with either choice as each has a powerhouse med school. Their Rad Onc residency programs are both more than respectable.

Both would be fine places to do medical school, but Duke has the built in 1 year of scholarly time. Given how research oriented RadOnc is, that time would enable you to complete a pretty solid project.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to go into academic medicine, and ideally match at a top tier residency. I know for absolute sure I would like to be in either New England or California, and while I don't mind attending medical school in the south, I definitely don't want to be there for residency

You aren't asking for much are you? :laugh:

Do very, very well no matter where you go. You're talking about AOA, 250+ step 1, year of research. Even then you may not get northeast or California.

Where you attend medical school will affect your chances of residency. If you're not willing to do residency in the South, then Yale is a good choice.

If you want to end up living in New England or California after training, then both residency programs are excellent.

The PD for Rad Onc is absolutely amazing at Yale. Lynn Wilson is so invested in the students' and residents' success. He will help you find research projects and is extremely available and approachable to students who are interested in Rad Onc. He will go out of his way for you and will give you good, honest, solid advice. In addition, there are many great and student-friendly mentors in the department. I'm not very familiar with the Duke program, but can definitely vouch for Yale.

Last edited: