Yale vs UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theonewhotopes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was planning on going to Yale, and I just got off the waitlist at UCSF. I love both schools, and at this point it's really hard for me to make a choice.

Just some things I've been going over in my head:

• I'm still a little worried about the funding situation in California. On my visit, there was talk of how the library had limited hours and other cost-cutting measures.
  • Both schools have amazing match lists, but UCSF makes it easier to get the cherished West Coast residencies.
  • San Francisco is my favorite city in the US, and while New Haven isn't amazing, it's near NYC.
  • Yale has much better cross-discipline opportunities (for example MD/MBA, which I am lightly considering)
  • The Yale system is definitely my favorite curriculum of the two.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I was planning on going to Yale, and I just got off the waitlist at UCSF. I love both schools, and at this point it's really hard for me to make a choice.

• I'm still a little worried about the funding situation in California. On my visit, there was talk of how the library had limited hours and other cost-cutting measures.
  • Both schools have amazing match lists, but UCSF makes it easier to get the cherished West Coast residencies.
  • San Francisco is my favorite city in the US, and while New Haven isn't amazing, it's near NYC.
  • Yale has much better cross-discipline opportunities (for example MD/MBA, which I am lightly considering)

Another reason: one you would be my future classmate and another you wouldn't. So if you're a cool person, go to Yale. lol jk.

do you have any family or significant other considerations? if UCSF is drastically cheaper, go to UCSF. otherwise, you can't go wrong w/ either.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. I think both Yale and SF have a pretty laid back learning environment. I think the biggest deciding factor should be the city. Yes New Haven is "near" a big city but how often will you go there just to chill? but if you lived in the big city...
Med school is stressful you should be in a place you enjoy, so you can relax whenever you get a study break.

I don't think you will have trouble getting in California if you went to Yale, it's not like people haven't heard of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are really different schools with vastly different cultures. Biggest differentiators are curriculum, location, and university vs. Stand alone med school environment. Personally I might choose ucsf. Better hospitals, more fun city, and potentially cheaper. But really these schools are both so great you can't go wrong. It'll be easier to match in ca from ucsf just because you get that ucsf home advantage plus it'll be more convenient when you have to do interviews. But honestly, Yale won't be a hindrance either. Go with your gut.

If a school was in my favorite city, I'd def go there. I'd want to be in the city even without the school, and it'd help me relax and enjoy my offtime.

This seems like an easy choice to me....you would rather be in San Francisco than New Haven (who wouldn't), and both the med scool and hospital are better there. Congratulations!!!!!!

Hey everyone,

1. Funding issues - it is something to consider. I am not sure how well insulated med students are from this. UC students did see an increase in fees. But don't worry, UCSF won't close its doors. Besides, with all the cute little book stores, coffee shops, cafes in SF, who needs a school library. The public libraries are fairly neat, IMO.

2. I wouldn't worry about the match. Both are great schools with respected reputations.

3. SF should be every one's favorite city.

4. UCSF does have linked programs w/ Berkeley. Not sure about the MBA, something to look into.

5. This says it. The Yale curriculum is so unique. If you love it, don't look back.

Other things to consider - are you a CA resident? UCSF could be cheaper than a private (if you're concerned about the finances).

Family ties to one area or another?

Traveling costs to go to/fro from school (e.g. vacation, holidays).

Gut feeling - which school blows your skirt up?

Thanks for all the replies so far. Something that I forgot to mention is that I am an out of state applicant for UCSF, so I don't have any tuition reduction or family ties.

Does anyone know hard it is to get in-state tuition after a year at UCSF?

I would do UCSF over Yale in a heatbeat ,but I'm Californian so I'm biased.

If San Francisco is your favorite city ( as it is mine as well :D), go there. Both schools will get you into any residency you want. Curriculum differences matter, but the significantly better location makes up for differences like that. I also think you'd see more in SF.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Something that I forgot to mention is that I am an out of state applicant for UCSF, so I don't have any tuition reduction or family ties.

Does anyone know hard it is to get in-state tuition after a year at UCSF?

Nigh impossible.

To gain in-state tuition, you must live in CA at least a year before for non-educational reasons and pay state taxes (or something to that effect).

it would have to be your gut feeling, if you loved the curriculum, opportunities, school environment, etc..

with ranking they are both amazing ucsf is number one for cali residents and yale is part of ivy league and also top with options like MD/MBA,etc if you're interested! you have to consider everything and which school made your heart melt or blew your skirt up as RD said it :D

be careful for biased responses (like mine would be if i was trying to go either way) you have been to both campuses so you know it best! good luck and let us know what you chose :)

From what I've heard, YSM has an awesome alumni network. What about UCSF's alumni?

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.