Yale's secondary essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drago

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The essay asks for a max of 6000 characters to describe why I want to go to Yale. I was only given 5300 characters to describe why I want to be a doctor, so how the hell can I write that much about a single med school? How long are all of you guys making this thing?

Members don't see this ad.

I felt the same way when I started the essay but luckily, I did not write about all of my experiences in my personal statement. I used different experiences in my Yale essay and tried to compliment the essay with my personal and practice vision essays. I'm at 4,750 right now!

Good Luck :)

Originally posted by drago:
•The essay asks for a max of 6000 characters to describe why I want to go to Yale. I was only given 5300 characters to describe why I want to be a doctor, so how the hell can I write that much about a single med school? How long are all of you guys making this thing?•

Try this:

Brainstorm. I myself type much faster (and neater) than I write, so I type these out. Write down everything that comes to mind when you consider Yale. Facilities? Reputation? Grounds? Area? The learning structure? Clinical exposure? How about peers and faculty? Write down everything before going on.

Break some of them down more. What do you like about the learning structure? Who on the faculty is impressive or specializes in an area that interests you? This is also the time when you can start doing some research. If you don't know faculty, search around.

Try to write at least three sentences expanding on each item. They will suck. They will not be cohesive. Don't freak. ;) Do them all first. Then go back and re-work your sentences, so instead of saying "I like New Haven" you could say "Since I'll be living in the area for four years or more, I feel it's important that I enjoy the atmosphere surrounding the college as well as the college itself. While I've never been to Connecticut, I'm looking forward to the 'turning of the leaves'. Attending Yale, aside from the academic benefits, grants the opportunity to see one of the more spectacular seasonal changes available in the country."

Taa daa. 68 words on changing leaves. Trust me, writers get paid by the word. You learn how to pad where possible. Padding also gives you plenty of room for cutbacks if the editor requests them. ;)

Nova

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, every essay you have to write is an opportunity to strengthen your case for why you should be admitted. I know that at this point, these essays are a royal pain in the ass, but make every effort to boost your chances with every paragraph that you write.
I firmly believe that my personal statement and my essays helped me get some of the sought-after interviews. And most of my interviewers referred to my essays multiple times, so they DO get read and they DO matter.

For Yale's, I would spend 50% of the essay writing about Yale, and the other 50% writing about YOU and how you and Yale Med are meant for each other. And focus on their "Yale System" - on interview day they talk about it's uniqueness incessantly.

The Yale system is really unique, and because it's far less structured than other med school curricula, it's definitely not for everyone. I would spend a large part of the essay focusing on why you think the Yale systam appeals to you, and why it would be a good match for you, based on your past experiences. Then include anything else about the school that may appeal to you.

I know this may sound silly, but you got your secondaries already from Yale or you just know that they will ask that question? I ask because I thought the AMCAS stuff hadn't even gone through yet. Please let me know, I'm applying there too.

That is an actual question. Please visit their secondary application. It must be filled out online and is available at http://info.med.yale.edu/medadmit/ They do not screen AMCAS applications.

Good Luck :)

Originally posted by TrustInGod:
•I know this may sound silly, but you got your secondaries already from Yale or you just know that they will ask that question? I ask because I thought the AMCAS stuff hadn't even gone through yet. Please let me know, I'm applying there too.•

Yeah. Once Yale gets word that you listed them on your AMCAS, they send you a secondary packet. Harvard does the same thing. I got mine from them about 4 weeks before I received my confirmation from AMCAS. I thinks it's a money-raking scam: send out secondaries to the 10,000 people who list them on AMCAS, about 6,000 will excitedly send it back with the $75 check even though only about 1500 of them have a snowball's chance in hell of getting admitted. That's $450,000 easy dollars for their med school.

I prefer UCSF's method... They read your AMCAS, and then they send you a postcard that says something like, "You're not smart enough to go here. Thanks anyway. Have a happy day." Saves money and time!

Note to Drago:

Remember it is not always necessary to use up every character they allow--to use a cliche, "quality over quantity." If after 4000 characters you feel you have a good, complete essay, send it in. Its doubtful that the people looking over these essays will read them word for word. If you add 2000 characters of useless filler, and that is the third of the essay they read closely, then, well, you're screwed. Sometimes making it a little shorter will actually impress them--you may stand out a little better. Between the two AMCAS essays, I think I had at least an extra 2000 characters left over, and that was after adding more than I thought they should. But that is just my opinion.