Yay!! You got accepted...what school are you gonna pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you got accepted everywhere you applied to (lets hope that is the case), what school would you pick and why?

Right now, My top three choices are U.Washington, Temple, UPENN.

I would love to go to UW because it would save me 150,000 grand and i can be with my family. The school is the king of dental schools with a solid foundation in both clinical and research.

Temple, because I love philly. I like Ghetto neighborhoods and because the clinical is excellent. The people are awesome too.

UPENN, if I want to get to the prestigious side of things. Its program is solid like gold, since you practically have to be made of gold to afford to go there.

I will let you know a detailed input after my interviews. Well what about you guys?

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure but I dream of having these options.

U of MI
U of CO
U of WA

I would choose
NYU or Temple...
Just beause I want to be on the east coast

Members don't see this ad :)
1st: UCONN - killer program with excellent reputation. Plus an added crush of mine goes to YALE!
2nd: UPENN - living in philly what can be better
3rd: UCSF - a school with everything

Idle: UNC - Low Tution
2nd: UCONN - Good school and can try for instate 2nd year.
3rd: UofMaryland
4th: UPENN - If i get some tuition reduction.

BU or Tufts

1. Ohio State (they treat their students like gold!). For example, in previous years they have paid for the airline ticket, hotel, and meal budget for interviewees AND their spouses!

2. Case -- some of the best clinical opportunities in the nation/students have their own clinic chairs ( no bickering with other classmates over facilities).

3. UNLV -- brand new buliding = loads of fun. Plus, it's a great opportunity to network in Vegas, where dentists earn 15-25% greater income, on average, than any other place in the nation.

Hard to say until I visit the schools, but I'll guess...

1st: Temple (great clinical exposure) or MCG (cheap)
2nd: U of Maryland (oldest and well established) or Nova (sun & facilties)
3rd: Indiana

1st UT houston dental school
2nd Tufts
3rd UT san Antonio
4th Baylor

just me though

As a New Yorker, my top choices are obviously the four New York schools (in no particular order of preference):

Columbia SDOS
NYU College of Dentistry
Stony Brook
UB

They are competitive to get into, and their academic and clinical programs are no slouch either. And two of them are very affordable for NYS residents.

New York (next to California) is one of the most litigious places in this country, and consequently NYS dental schools will teach you very well on how to survive as a dentist in today's conditions when people will sue for the silliest of reasons. Frank Sinatra got it right-- if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

1st: UCONN-Great program, great people, and New England residents get reduced tuition.

2nd: Tufts- I really love Boston

1) UCLA or UOP (cuz its a 3 yr program, if it wasn't i'd pick UCLA for sure)

2) UCSF

3) USC

I guess you guys could figure i'm from california.