Year 1 Dental Student going to Year 2 FULLY committed to OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi All! I hope you all are doing well, and are safe! :)

I'm finishing D1, and my Dental School (North American School) has notified me that the upcoming D2 First Term (sept-dec) will 100% be online. I am 100000% interested and committed to OMFS, and was wondering what can I do in the meantime, other than studying my a** off, and doing some prep for INDBE/CBSE? Since all research places and volunteering opportunities are closed, what can I do other than diving into my books? Respectfully, I want to use this as an opportunity to make myself stand out, and improve. For starters, I've updated my LinkedIn (no harm)

Thank you all for your time! Stay Safe, & Be Well!

P.S.: Not trying to be "that guy" by saying that I'm Pre-OMFS in D1, but at the same time, I high-key am tho... HAHAHA

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
All you can do at this point:
1. Kill your school gpa
2. Study for the CBSE and destroy it by Feb 2021 ideally
3. Pray externships resume in 2021

Come back after you complete 1 and 2 and we can talk more :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi All! I hope you all are doing well, and are safe! :)

I'm finishing D1, and my Dental School (North American School) has notified me that the upcoming D2 First Term (sept-dec) will 100% be online. I am 100000% interested and committed to OMFS, and was wondering what can I do in the meantime, other than studying my a** off, and doing some prep for INDBE/CBSE? Since all research places and volunteering opportunities are closed, what can I do other than diving into my books? Respectfully, I want to use this as an opportunity to make myself stand out, and improve. For starters, I've updated my LinkedIn (no harm)

Thank you all for your time! Stay Safe, & Be Well!

P.S.: Not trying to be "that guy" by saying that I'm Pre-OMFS in D1, but at the same time, I high-key am tho... HAHAHA

I would recommend seeking out a private-practice OMS mentor. One of your faculty could suggest someone. Where are you in school?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All you can do at this point:
1. Kill your school gpa
2. Study for the CBSE and destroy it by Feb 2021 ideally
3. Pray externships resume in 2021

Come back after you complete 1 and 2 and we can talk more :D

Externships will resume by late summer. Some ORs at hospitals near me are opening up at half capacity on Monday. I also have the option to book for August at a few places. Nothing is set in stone of course, but I def think externing will be ok by late summer or early fall.

1588354932141.gif

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 23 users
Dude dentists dont make any money right now. Just chill and try to keep your debt as low as you can.

Yeah, study for the cbse, try to knock it out next feb or aug.

Reactions: 1 users
This is really EXCELLENT advice, everyone! Thank you all for your excellent and helpful advice and assistance! Except for @DDSER1, their GIF (pronounced "jif") made me sad and now I'm crying :(

If my school has its students take the new INDBE AFTER D3, should I wait till then to take the CBSE too? Obviously that seems late. I guess it would just be nice to have completed all my science courses before the CBSE, which won’t be till after D3 for me.

If my school has its students take the new INDBE AFTER D3, should I wait till then to take the CBSE too? Obviously that seems late. I guess it would just be nice to have completed all my science courses before the CBSE, which won’t be till after D3 for me.

You don’t need to wait that long. Start studying now if you’re 100% in on OMFS and take it when you’re ready.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If you're an incoming D1, start ASAP. I taught myself a lot of the organ systems the summer between D1/D2, and when I learned them D2 year I didnt need to study that much for them. It helped me keep my grades up AND allowed for me to study other things on the CBSE. Take it early and often was my motto for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think this is still the case or do you think it depends on the state? Right now, May-June-July seem to be very busy months.

Everything is back where I am at about 90%. It will eventually get back to full, people are over it.

Everything is back where I am at about 90%. It will eventually get back to full, people are over it.

I'm glad to hear that. All this doom and gloom is making people very apprehensive. We're retweaking our ads to exclude paranoid/hostile elements. They seem to be wasting a disproportionate amount of our time in the last few days.

I'm glad to hear that. All this doom and gloom is making people very apprehensive. We're retweaking our ads to exclude paranoid/hostile elements. They seem to be wasting a disproportionate amount of our time in the last few days.

It is crazy what some people believe. But regardless, I think people will believe what they want even if evidence shows otherwise. Tricky times. How Will you make your marketing more effective?

It is crazy what some people believe. But regardless, I think people will believe what they want even if evidence shows otherwise. Tricky times. How Will you make your marketing more effective?

It's a balance. I need to maintain or increase my patient flow but at the same time, filter out paranoid/apprehensive people. Essentially, we're looking to advertise the following: If you're afraid, stay home. For the rest of us, come see us today while you can. Shutdown can come at anytime. I have a variant of this message, but we haven't incorporated the stay home part yet. We'll see how many more unproductive hostiles we get this week.

It's a fine line to tread. However, I have other contingency plans preparing for the worst case scenarios.

Aren’t you in Texas? The largest hospital system in the country is at full ICU capacity. We in Florida are also reaching capacity very fast

Aren’t you in Texas? The largest hospital system in the country is at full ICU capacity. We in Florida are also reaching capacity very fast

I am and I think the hospitals are or perhaps beyond capacity. Doesn't seem to have affected us much though besides the increase of more disruptive individuals. Most people don't seem to care about the virus but that select few that are paranoid about it and bring that hostility to our office just ruins the mood and workflow temporarily on some days - although I have grown stronger from it and learned to just cut the appt short. Certain demographics are more difficult during this time period as well.

Back to school is right around the corner and the final push is here before summer ends. I'm hoping our new side will be open before the end of summer, otherwise, the efforts may have been in vain (or I end up opening every day until back to school). I made a little bit of a gamble and got a 5th scanner/mill to meet the demands of the office. Hopefully it pays off.

Honestly, I pretty sure everyone telling you to relax because you're in D1 is not going into OMFS. I'm also on the same track and everyone who I've spoken to that are actually in OMFS residency are telling me that studying from Day 1 and knowing what you want from Day 1 will push you on the right track.

I think what those who are saying to relax are trying to get at is that you don't know enough at the beginning of dental school to even tell if you like OMFS. Also, lots of people start dental school thinking they have the chops to be an OMFS-then they end up not doing so well in school and realize its probably not going to happen for them. Dental school is full of people who went to mediocre institutions for undergrad-its pretty easy to get a high GPA at places like this compared to more reputable colleges. Dental school tends to be tougher than most of these people's colleges so prior performance is not a good indicator.
I think starting to study for the CBSE at the end of D1 is a good idea. You have a better idea of things at that point.

Reactions: 3 users
I think what those who are saying to relax are trying to get at is that you don't know enough at the beginning of dental school to even tell if you like OMFS. Also, lots of people start dental school thinking they have the chops to be an OMFS-then they end up not doing so well in school and realize its probably not going to happen for them. Dental school is full of people who went to mediocre institutions for undergrad-its pretty easy to get a high GPA at places like this compared to more reputable colleges. Dental school tends to be tougher than most of these people's colleges so prior performance is not a good indicator.
I think starting to study for the CBSE at the end of D1 is a good idea. You have a better idea of things at that point.

Agreed. I starting studying for CBSE in summer of D1 when basic sciences are still pretty fresh in your mind. took first attempt winter d2 and then again summer D3. its a really hard test.

OP buy pathoma and sketchy micro/pharm and watch them. then start the zanki deck. read all the threads you can find about studying for step 1. it is absolutely NOT to early to get started on this. best case scenario you knock it out one attempt, but its very difficult to do that. my school had very little medical training so I had to learn it mostly myself after school and weekends.

Says someone that has never pulled a tooth. lol jk but really

Agreed. I starting studying for CBSE in summer of D1 when basic sciences are still pretty fresh in your mind. took first attempt winter d2 and then again summer D3. its a really hard test.

OP buy pathoma and sketchy micro/pharm and watch them. then start the zanki deck. read all the threads you can find about studying for step 1. it is absolutely NOT to early to get started on this. best case scenario you knock it out one attempt, but its very difficult to do that. my school had very little medical training so I had to learn it mostly myself after school and weekends.

Have you used Boards and Beyond?
Some of the posts I've read regarding ank mention a deck called anKing(?), do you know how that compares to zanki or which is better for the cbse?

Have you used Boards and Beyond?
Some of the posts I've read regarding ank mention a deck called anKing(?), do you know how that compares to zanki or which is better for the cbse?

AnKing is the most up to date and beefed up version of Zanki. It also includes lolnotacop for your bugs and drugs (some). It's more comprehensive than OG Zanki and it provides more context in the extra section and memory aids (screenshots from sketchy). It's the gold standard step deck now. BnB is great and covers all of FA. It helps with understanding and clinical context, which are definitely important for doing well. Throw in UWorld (and Pathoma and sketchy) and I can't see how you wouldn't smash it.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with most people that studying for the CBSE after getting some of the basic sciences knowledge is the way to go. Ideally after D1 or even the summer of D1. I took the cbse the first time after 1st year but didnt start studying until I got the majority of basic sciences done so I have some background on the material.

I agree with omfser, but also I do agree with masterjack. If you want to do os or ortho generally, you are going to have that wherewithal and godly work ethic and gunner attitude (no disrespect, just the best description). NO one goes from wanting Cs and studying the day prior to the work/study habits of an omfs prospect. IMO, the attitude is just a genuine standard deviations above one who is not so sure of his future. At least op, you are true in your intentions. Many people play that sneaky game and have large degrees of chicanery. it is like high school students applying to uni all over.

best of luck dude

I'm all for you! GO ahead. I'm in the same boat and I'm just taking it one day at a time and starting to study for CBSE and using UFAP to supplement the rest of my didactics, even though I'm now a D2 as well and most of our curriculum is in the lab.

Best of luck to you!

I would say take it once the summer after D1 year shoot for an 80+. You have tons of time to study for it during your D1 year and if you plan right, you take once and then can focus on being the best dentist possible and get a year extra for externships over other applicants.