Year-long post-college research abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outlier

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated college a few years ago, and I'm now a first-year MD-PhD student. But before entering the PhD part of my program I really want to take a year off to do lab research abroad (I live in the US). The reasons for this are too varied and complicated to describe here. Suffice it to say that I am dead-set on doing this, and now I want to find out how to go about it.

I have several years of experience in cognitive neuroscience research in humans, but I now want to explore other areas so that I will have a better idea of what to pursue for my thesis research. Unfortunately, I can only go for 1 year, and I know that most lab positions require a 2-year commitment, especially if one isn't already highly trained in that area. So I am trying to find year-long programs, if any exist. Does anyone know of any such programs? Also, I really want to do this abroad, because I've never had the opportunity to live abroad for any significant amount of time.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.