Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Year of Bad Luck

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pikayou, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Pikayou

Pikayou Member
    7+ Year Member

2004 for me has brought nothing but bad news. Here's my timeline, tell me if I'm crazy. Could something dramatic have happened unbeknownst to me that could have caused this?

Oct. 5 - Accepted to UMich
    Mid Oct. - Interview at UCSF, Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Northwestern.
    Mid. Nov. - Accepted to Northwestern. Interview at Stanford
    Late Nov. - Accepted to Stanford.
    Dec. - Decline UPenn interview (prefer Stanford).

**Nothing**

March - Rejected at Harvard. Waitlisted at Cornell, Columbia, UCSF.

Everyone seemed so enthusiastic about me in Oct./Nov., but I got boned in March! Anyone else see such a sudden collapse of their fortunes?

2. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

Yea, you were totally screwed. You went from being accepted to UMich and Stanford to...being accepted to UMich and Stanford.

Get a grip on reality. You're into some top medical schools. I wouldn't exactly say you have "bad luck".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i hope you're kidding - to say that getting into stanford AND michigan is bad luck is absurd. bad luck is when you dog dies or your stocks tank. stop looking for pity because anyone who give it to you themselves must be pretty out of touch with reality.

4. rockyh7

rockyh7 Member
    7+ Year Member

Please tell me your kidding...yah we all want to do the best we can thats why we're going to be doctors...but at some point the fact that you know that you are going be to able to heal someone and help them feel better has to become more important than the school if youre going to be a truly good and caring doctor.

5. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

I'll tell you he's kidding.

6. Pikayou

Pikayou Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm really sorry, I think this thread has been misunderstood. I'm incredibly thankful for all my acceptances and could see myself at all three schools. I'm not complaining at all! :) Just looking to see if others had experienced something similar. Namely, a specific point in time after which they had received no good news....or was it just coincidence. In other words, I was just asking a question out of curiosity, not complaining.

7. Chirurgien

Chirurgien Member
    7+ Year Member

I found the smiley that gives the perfect response to the original post:

:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Sharky

Sharky Shark
    7+ Year Member

I believe he is serious.

9. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

I was sure he wasn't, but perhaps he is.

In that case, I am outraged that he was accepted to so many good schools.

10. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer

Attending Physician
    holy ****!!! Cry me a ****ing river!

11. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I feel really manipulated by this thread - I came in here fully equiped with my doctor-to-be compassion and a copy of "chicken soup for the teenage soul" ready to offer my shoulder and a sympathetic nod - and this is what I get? Hmpf! I'm taking my services elsewhere!

Listen kid, we all get acceptances and rejections and waitlisted, and so have you. Your acceptances came earlier than others. It's not bad luck, it's just timing. Get over it. You're going to be a doctor.

12. scrabbler

scrabbler too much sugar
    7+ Year Member

Brickhouse, I'm sure you've been told this a thousand times before, but you're awesome :).

13. premed

premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you are serious, we need a smiley that yells obscenities then comes out of the comp to smack you upside the head...

If not, :laugh: will do.

14. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow - what support.....How YOU doin'? ;)

15. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Ditto.

Also did you ever consider that there is an automatic selection bias for rolling schools in that the later you hear from a rolling school the less likely you are to have gotten in (since they would have accepted you earlier).

Please, in the immortalized words of Justin Timberlake, "Cry me a river" +pity+

16. tautomer

7+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh:

17. premed

premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No acceptances here :(

18. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

im sorry for you. +pity+

19. Pikayou

Pikayou Member
    7+ Year Member

Can we let this thread die? I think most of my interactions on SDN have been positive, and I'd like that to be the case in the future. Reading the responses to this thread, I am either:

A) A person who asks confusing questions.
    B) A person who asks stupid/misinformed questions.
    C) An ass.

Either way, I just want to apologize and hope we can move on.

20. acab

acab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

C'mon guys,

Pikayou is not complaining about the acceptances to those incredible schools. The point was that in 2003 things were going from good to excellent, and this year, the waitlists started to pile up.

I sort of feel the same way. In the beginning of the process I thought I'd be very lucky to get into my state school. After being invited to interview in quite a few places, I felt my chances were much better, and hope built up. But after a streak of acceptances ( fo which I'm very thankful) I got a rejection and 4 waitlists. Please do not take me wrong, I'm still very happy to get into some very good schools.

Pikayou, for all it's worth, I loved Stanford, and got rejected by them within 2 weeks.

21. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer

Attending Physician
    heh, you should have seen the flames coming with this thread:laugh: :laugh: I thought you were kidding at first lol

22. linus

linus fly tux.
    7+ Year Member

this thread is wrong in so many ways :mad:

people with acceptances like yours (or any acceptances for that matter) should be thankful for their great luck in this highly unpredictable process.

23. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Let's continue that 2004 timeline...

May - July - Possibly get accepted at Cornell, Columbia, or UCSF

August - Begin medical school at Stanford/UMich or one of the schools where you have been waitlisted

Sounds like a pretty good year to me...

24. Paws

7+ Year Member

Hey Pikayou,

You just struck it rich early on in the game. Not so bad considering some people are still hanging by their hang nails waiting for something to come that isn't a rejection letter. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site who have NO acceptances and may be too embarassed to admit that. Well, I just finished up with two acceptances and about 50 rejection letters, so I feel pretty dang lucky that I just got in by a whisker. :) It is such an incredibly humbling process, and seeing 30 rejection letters is really sobering for me. I'll try and remember that when I'm a dr and might start taking myself seriously.

You're ok - in fact you've done an awesome job. Just relax and go enjoy your summer!

25. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Pikayou, my advisor warned me that early acceptances may not be a great idea sometimes. It's just that you got excited so early on, then your excitement dropped. When you get waitlist/rejection, you're not as happy about your previous acceptances anymore.

I feel a bit like that early on. Early acceptance to Vanderbilt, then recently rejection at Stanford, waitlist at Northwestern and Columbia. The last three are all my top choices.

The reality is that, very very very very few people get into their top top top top choice. We all just have to learn to be content with what we have. In recent weeks I have been passing by the UCLA med Center and I just realized how great a place it is. Even though I'll choose Columbia and maybe Northwestern over UCLA if accepted off the waitlist, I should be very grateful about what I have now.

Just my 4 cents...

26. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

oh. my. god. Why did I click on this thread?

27. Catalyst

Catalyst Enjoying Life
    10+ Year Member

I think I'm going to throw up....... where do these people come from? I... um... didn't even get interviewed by Stanford. My friend got in though, does that make me special!??!

Going delirious

Sachin

28. Yeah, same here, acceptances came in Oct, Nov and Dec ever since then 1 rejection (UCLA) and a bunch of waiting. I think I'm waitlisted for the JMP too now :(

Pikayou, you are so lucky to get into Stanford though. Those were the happiest students I saw anywhere and man have I been around this year.

29. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

LOL:laugh:

30. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

OK Now, don't be too harsh on Pikayou.

I think it's like once you get something, it's almost certain that you want more.

For those who got their 1st acceptances, they'll hope for more acceptances so they can pick and choose.

Once you got into your 3rd choice, you'll wanna get into your 2nd choice. Once that happens, you'll wanna get into your 1st choice.

Buddha says, Desire's the source of suffering. It's so true.

31. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

Don;t think... that's dangerous. Wait and see! We're rooting for you!

32. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i hear you bro....i hear you...

i guess if he got into davis it would have been the equivalent to a death threat.

hey you...

you had an awesome year...i know some people would easily break one of their limbs right in front of you for any one of those acceptances.

just realize this. be grateful that you had all this good fortune and prepare for a life of being a respected MS.

33. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i'd take your march over any month in my life. :mad:

34. kelenaf

kelenaf Member
    7+ Year Member

ouch! :eek: hang nails suck!

35. curlycity

curlycity Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Whoa - VIVID mental picture. Dang!

36. curlycity

curlycity Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I had to give ya some good Karma for the great line. I just dug it.

37. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

ahhahahaa
    you guys are riding pikayou too hard

Congrats pikayou!
    Put in a good word for me at Stanford will ya?

38. I think I get the point of the post- his luck changed after he got into Stanford. This might have something to do with the other schools somehow knowing you loved Stanford and them assuming you would go there? Did you commit to going to Stanford in writing? Who knows. Its probably just a coincidence... my schedule went the same way. Great interviews and acceptances early, nothing good post Jan... but I'm happy with UCSD and consider myself lucky to get in.

39. Oh wait this is an old thread... ooops.

40. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

I sided with Pikayou with this b/c I felt something similar. I got a few acceptances in October, then 2 more in early February, then it was all downhill from there. One post-interview rejection, and 3 waitlists come at about the same time.

Everyone tend to prefer certain schools over others for various reasons. It just turned out that I would have preferred going to the schools that waitlisted me then the ones that accepted me :(

41. Ditto. But its ok.