Year of calc + statistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffyone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I took pre calc last semester and in taking calc this semester. I heard some people say I am supposed to take statistics for the mcat. Is this only if I didn't take calc and so I dont need to take it or should I still take it? I'm sorry If there are old threads about this, I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the most up to date info. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I took pre calc last semester and in taking calc this semester. I heard some people say I am supposed to take statistics for the mcat. Is this only if I didn't take calc and so I dont need to take it or should I still take it? I'm sorry If there are old threads about this, I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the most up to date info. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps med schools might require it however stats on the mcat is a joke. Don't take a full course for it. According to KAPLAN it tests mean, median, range, mode, standard deviation, and how to interpret p and r values.

Perhaps med schools might require it however stats on the mcat is a joke. Don't take a full course for it. According to KAPLAN it tests mean, median, range, mode, standard deviation, and how to interpret p and r values.
Oh I see. Ill try to research if medical schools require it. Thanks for the response!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stats is good just in general, as you will be doing at least some sort of research in your med school/residency career. Calc is a good course and is required by a small number of med schools, but it's pretty useless in med school. I'd recommend taking stats just to have that background for med school and beyond, but it's not necessary for the MCAT.

I'd say stats if a math class is required. Stats is useful for everything in med school. I am biased BTW.

I'd say stats if a math class is required. Stats is useful for everything in med school. I am biased BTW.
Data from biased samplings strategies is not viable and should be deemed useless. #nerdstatsjoke

Reactions: 1 user
As an MCAT instructor, I promise you all that you will never be tested on anything beyond measures of central tendency on the MCAT

Also, never took calculus and have received about 15 IIs. Then again, I was ineligible to apply to Harvard and Hopkins because I didn't take it. So... unless you have a dream school that requires it, I don't see a point in it.