year of English for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For the year of English requirement for most med schools, would an honors class titled "War Stories" likely fill at least half of it? I plan on taking some sort of composition course later, but would that work? It's not titled English 10X, but rather Honors 200: War Stories. I tested out of the school's English requirement for a BS, otherwise I'd take one of those class obviously.

Members don't see this ad.

Worry not. I did just this, and my school was fine with it. Might want to contact them and ask though.

Members don't see this ad :)
is a year of english really required for that many schools? darn.

Im double majoring in cell/molecular bio and classics. with the classics major i do more than enough reading/writing, probably more than quite a few of the english classes i could take. for schools that only recommend a year or two of english, how strict is that? i mean, have i proved my worth through the classics major? or do i really need to find a way to fit in some extra english classes?

You should check with each school. Some will accept your War Class, while others are very strict with the English req. and really want a traditional writing class.

I know alot of med programs require the full year of english - my question is as the school I'm at they only offer Intro English as a half year credit then they say to take another writing half credit to make up the full year of "english." I spoke with my dean of science and he said that it shouldn't be a problem for med school admission if I go this route so I chose Medical Ethics as my other half credit after Intro English. Would this count as a writing class and would med school admission boards accept these two credits as a full year of english? I don't want to encounter problems later down the road where some schools may say I don't have the english pre req.

Mike D said:
Would this count as a writing class and would med school admission boards accept these two credits as a full year of english? I don't want to encounter problems later down the road where some schools may say I don't have the english pre req.

Although Medical Ethics is an awesome course to take, I have a feeling you will run into some problems with schools... I doubt it will satisfy the english req for really strict schools. Once again, go to the websites for the specific schools you think you will apply to and see what they consider English.

tinkerbelle said:
You should check with each school. Some will accept your War Class, while others are very strict with the English req. and really want a traditional writing class.
I plan on taking a composition course, but I'm hoping that "War Stories" would count as a literature course. It says "Honors 200: War Stories" on my transcript, so I'm just wondering if the fact that it's not in the English department will affect that.

Sadly, my school required more than a year of english (three semesters) just to graduate :( But world literature was a cool class and my professor was the bomb so it's all good :)

tinkerbelle said:

Do you know off-hand which schools are really strict about only English as a traditional writing class?

Another thing to keep in mind is that some schools have separate requirements for composition vs. literature. The introductory English composition class I took in college included a "focus on topics in literature and culture", but it still doesn't necessarily fulfill a requirement for an English literature course (e.g., at University of Minnesota). Now I'm taking a literature course by mail to cover the requirement. It's not a huge deal, but I wish I had known sooner.

If you have doubts, don't ask on SDN. Call the school(s).

How many credits constitutes as a year? I'm taking ENG 111 right now, and I believe it's a 3 credit course (semester-long). Should I take ENG 112 too? (6 credits total)