SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Year of English?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Nomad, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    California
    Question for all you folks out there:

We all know that we need 1 year of English in order to apply for med school. Is English credit that I got for a writing class that I took when I studied abroad acceptable? Furthermore, does English credit that I received by taking APs and/or the subject A count? Finally, must the class strictly be English? (I took a Humanities course where all we did is read books and write papers.)

Note: there is no premed advisor at my school who I can ask.

Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kidsmd

kidsmd Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Cincinnati
    I don't think that English APs count. I passed both of mine with pretty good scores but my counselor still insisted that I take a full year of college level English for medical school. Out of those, I believe the preference is to take at least one comp and one lit class.

4. jot

jot

the rule i've found that any writing intensive class will fil this requirement. at our school one can take a science class that is W - writing requirement and it will suffice. otherwise, history, philosophy etc... will probably do the trick if you ned it to. writing intensive is the key. but take english classes whenever you can - they are good stuff.

5. coolwaters

coolwaters Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2002
    New York City
    I was in this situation, not having taken any English undergrad. I was able to use a Freshman Seminar class in Philosophy to fulfill one semester (W listed in course number on transcript because it was writing intensive). I did end up taking one English class post-bacc to fulfillt the requirement. That said, I do think it's possible if you had writing intensive classes that are not English, especially a humanities, to fulfill this req. Most schools that I called either said philosophy would be acceptable, or that I should get a course description sent from the school indicating the course was writing intensive.

If you want a definite answer, just call the up the schools you're interested in applying to.

6. lola

lola Bovine Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    california
    I took 1 semester of English as well as several writing intensive non-English courses. I'm taking a community college course now, because I wasn't sure all schools I was applying to would accept it (even though I went to a liberal arts college). I was going to call them all, but there were like 15-20 of them that required English, so I just decided to take the course. I did take a freshman writing course in Bio, but there was no way for schools to know since I didn't indicate it as English on my AMCAS (b/c I figured AMCAS would have changed it) and it doesn't say anything special on my transcript.