Year Off After 2nd and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prostate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking a year off after completing my second year. I have applied for a fulbright scholarship which basically funds a research project for one year. my first question is that can i eventually apply in to a residency unrelated to what i do during my year off? will i have to explain why i did this to residencdy programs?
secondly, if i do not get the award, i was considering going abroad to do some language studies. i will probably not do anything realted to meidicine. will this drastically affect my chances of residency?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since your year off would be for an academic pursuit, and a prestigious one at that, I doubt it would hurt you at all. If anything it would help you stand out in a positive way.

ok, so if i do research abroad in psychology and then later decide to apply for a residency unrelated to psych like radiology, it would not hurt? i just have a feelling i might just have to explain to them why i did that.
thanks for your help!

prostate said:
ok, so if i do research abroad in psychology and then later decide to apply for a residency unrelated to psych like radiology, it would not hurt? i just have a feelling i might just have to explain to them why i did that.
thanks for your help!

It might be very possible that you would have to "explain" why you took the time off and studied a field unrelated to your future career. I assume you have already figured out the answer to that question.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it - if the field is something medically related, it really isn't a problem at all; if its distantly related but you come back to your clinical years and perform well, I would also imagine that it falls under the category of "improving yourself" and "broadening your horizons".

Thanks!
One final question. My research is related to a politically sensitive issue. I intend to do psychology research on Palestinians in refugee camps. Should I worry about the negative reaction I might get from this?