Year off after undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sieburth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats thus far:
BCPM GPA: 3.91
GPA: 3.76
Major: Studio Art
MCAT: not yet taken
EC's: EMT, will have ~100-150 hours volunteer experience by graduation
Writing tutor, 2.5 years by graduation
Homeless shelter volunteering, ~100 hours
Clinical internship in Baylor, TX, 1.5 months, this summer
Jazz bands (2 years), Radio show (1 yr.), Chemistry lab T.A. (1 semester), 1 year chemistry research w/paper next year.
The volunteering took place second semester junior year, and all of senior year.
Given the extracurricular work I need to do next year in order to be properly prepared to apply for medical school, I plan on taking the MCAT and applying to medical school while continuing to volunteer as an EMT during the year after college.

However, I am currently preparing an application for a Watson Fellowship, which, if granted, would have me going abroad for a year after college studying changes in pottery cultures in various countries (leaving in late June). Truly, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. But, this would also prevent me from taking the MCAT during August after college, and put off medical school applications by a year.

What should I do? I really want to go abroad on a Watson, but taking the MCATs and applying so late after undergrad is an uncomfortable prospect. While I theoretically could study for/take the MCAT senior year, I might break under the workload of finishing up my major, doing a ton of EC's, and taking the MCAT too.

Is putting off the MCAT/applications for after college as well as applying for a Watson unrealistic?

Members don't see this ad.

Med school isn't going anywhere. I took almost 4 years off to work before starting medical school and I don't feel like I've"missed" anything. Like you said, the fellowship is a once in a lifetime experience so if I were you, I wouldn't think twice about it and jump at the chance to go abroad for a year. Trust me, taking time off after college before starting med school opens your eyes to what's out there and you enter medical school with an entirely different perspective than if you had just gone straight after you graduated college. Besides, it will give you something interesting to talk about on the interview trail since I'm guessing not very many people applying to medical school get an opportunity like the one you are talking about.

Bottom line, do what feels right to you and think about whether or not based on whatever you decide if you would look back on it with regret or satisfaction.

Good luck! :)