Year off and surgical subspecialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jowblow997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, depending on where you are a student, I would do research at your school. If your school isn't a neurosurgery powerhouse I would:

-go for the Doris Duke. I've seen a lot of neurosurgery residents with this on their CV.
-Next, NIH research in something neuro related. Stem cells / parkinsons / etc

Public health stuff is soft and I dont think would help with neurosurgery. If you're interested, go for it - but keep in mind while you are doing this, other people are doing relevant neurosurgery research and making connections.

Don't know if I'm way off but with the nature of subjective grading (currently dealing with that bullsh*t) it seems like the break might be better between M3 and M4 because there's a solid chance you get grades that don't match up to your gap year if you know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't you take a year off after M3? This would allow you to get Step 1 AND Step 2 CK & CS out of the way.

Well, depending on where you are a student, I would do research at your school. If your school isn't a neurosurgery powerhouse I would:

-go for the Doris Duke. I've seen a lot of neurosurgery residents with this on their CV.
-Next, NIH research in something neuro related. Stem cells / parkinsons / etc

Public health stuff is soft and I dont think would help with neurosurgery. If you're interested, go for it - but keep in mind while you are doing this, other people are doing relevant neurosurgery research and making connections.

Don't know if I'm way off but with the nature of subjective grading (currently dealing with that bullsh*t) it seems like the break might be better between M3 and M4 because there's a solid chance you get grades that don't match up to your gap year if you know what I mean.

Couldn't you take a year off after M3? This would allow you to get Step 1 AND Step 2 CK & CS out of the way.

-

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. After looking into the programs more, I have been thinking about the neuroscience master's since it involves research. Do you all think this is a good idea? The other option I am considering is the NIH. I like the idea of the master's program more...

The larger point of research is to make connections with established neurosurgeons in academic programs that will then write you letters. Whats the point of the neuroscience research? What does it really net you? A maybe publication?

Reactions: 1 user
The larger point of research is to make connections with established neurosurgeons in academic programs that will then write you letters. Whats the point of the neuroscience research? What does it really net you? A maybe publication?

If you are taking a year off and you want to match neurosurgery, you really should be doing neurosurgery research in a neurosurgery lab and going to neurosurgery conferences and talking to other neurosurgeons. Do you have to do that? No, but it is the most beneficial thing you could do.

Agree with both of these comments.

OP, you mentioned you had a lot of exposure to neurosurg. Do you know any resident or attending you could talk to? They can probably give you more advice on how to go about taking a year off. Otherwise, I agree that you should consider Doris Duke, NIH, or other year out programs to do research in a neurosurgery department.

Unfortunately, I don't. I work with a private practice neurosurgeon.

I guess I have gotten a little side-tracked. If I focus on neuro, I would be better off doing research at the NIH rather than at Oxford through a master's program. This would help me get into residency and perhaps help if I wanted a career in academics.

If I focus on public health/social issues, the master's program would be the way to go. I believe this wouldn't really help me get into residency but will help my in terms of future career development to have a master's degree under my belt and some international connections.

If I could somehow convince myself that I would be able to match into nsg without a research year, I would likely do the public health master's.

I will also add that most people (none of whom are in nsg) have told me the NIH is the way to go. A couple told me that a public health degree would help me stand out as not many going into nsg would have that.

Surgery programs dont care about a MPH. Theres 0 value added. It's a fluff degree. Anybody with a pulse and a year off can earn one.

Reactions: 1 user
Surgery programs dont care about a MPH. Theres 0 value added. It's a fluff degree. Anybody with a pulse and a year off can earn one.

I will have a MPH, and I approve this message. Total waste.

That is helpful to here. Does research at the NIH really stand out that much more? It seems like everyone is doing research these days and most surgical residencies include some research requirement.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what field are you a resident in?

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

NIH would be good. Alternatively, see if any of the larger programs would fund a research fellowship year for you.

I did it because I was interested in public health but my realization that it will add $0 to my eventual net worth has been confirmed throughout the "rigors" of the coursework. Most of the faculty are divorced, bitter, single moms playing professor because they're strong and independent. Think online NP program with no actual skills.

If you are taking a year off and you want to match neurosurgery, you really should be doing neurosurgery research in a neurosurgery lab and going to neurosurgery conferences and talking to other neurosurgeons. Do you have to do that? No, but it is the most beneficial thing you could do.

Agree x100000000

I took a year off and wanted to match CT surg. I did CT research in a CT lab and went to CT conferences and talked to other CT surgeons.

Now I'm a CT resident.

Coincidence? I think not...

And neurosurgery is a lot like CTS in terms of competitiveness and research emphasis, etc.

Taking a year off for research is a great idea. Don't do it during the school year, focus on Step 1 and becoming a good standardized test taker. For the exact WRONG way to go about it, check out my profile <---. I'm the poster child for screwing up med school (hint: focus on Step 1).