Year Off Before Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yingling79

jchern
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating this May with a B.S. in biochem. I already took the MCATS and got a 32. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what I should do during this year to boost my application for 2006. Right now I am working with an MD/PhD on a research project that is boring and I hate.
Any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

do anything thatll add to ur application; whether it be research or clinical experience. i suggest u do it for money too, it dont hurt to save some for ur first year.
but whatever u do, dont JUST take it off only for applying. i realize that when people are asked "so what are u doing with your time off?", and they respond "applying to med school", its kind of a turn off

Try volunteering over the weekends at a hospice or ride along with an EMT, they will look good on your application (makes you look more rounded) and will give you stories to share during an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering do a lotta premeds become emts?

and if so how much does it cost to become certified etc

anything similar opportunities like being an emt, or t.a.s, where you do more hands on stuff with people?

Hermit MMood said:
just wondering do a lotta premeds become emts?

and if so how much does it cost to become certified etc

anything similar opportunities like being an emt, or t.a.s, where you do more hands on stuff with people?

You can take classes for certification as an EMT at colleges, universities, community colleges or your local EMS. Often the courses are offered at night or during the summer and only take a few months to complete. Check with these places in your area.

PineappleGirl said:
You can take classes for certification as an EMT at colleges, universities, community colleges or your local EMS. Often the courses are offered at night or during the summer and only take a few months to complete. Check with these places in your area.

My boyfriend just got his EMT basic. It took him a few months taking night classes a couple nights a week. He did it at a comm college. I got my CNA to get hands on clinical exp during my time off. I would say go the EMT route. You seem to get to do allot more and it is not as "dirty".

Hey, you could do a one year post-bac program at the NIH. That's what I did. Great experiences and very highly thought of on the ol' application. There are both clinical and lab research training positions. If you have any questions, just ask! :thumbup: