1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Year off Before Medical School. Need Help.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mocho22, Aug 8, 2011.

1. mocho22

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading around for a while but my first thread ever. I was just wondering in terms of research for an year off after undergrad and before starting medical school. How do you go about finding it at a Medical University? Who to contact, where to start looking? Also when is a good time to start contacting people for research? Also how do you find paid research rather than voluntary research b/c I have a lot of voluntary research as is.

Thanks so much! I appreciate any advice!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OrdinaryDO

OrdinaryDO Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am not quite their my own self but from other threads on this forums I can maybe help a little bit. You are wanting to engage in some research before entering Medical School, right? Do you plan on going to medical school to work in a research facility afterwards or are you going to follow through and work in a hospital/clinic enviroment?

4. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Try looking through the faculty web pages for descriptions of their research interests and pick a couple that are interesting to you. From there you simply shoot off a few emails. First ask if there is any position available. Once you get into discussion of the details start talking about compensation, etc (don't make it the first item on the agenda).

I just finished doing something like this so I'll break down my timeline.
    - Graduated in May '11
    - (Hopefully) matriculating in med school August '12
    - Contact a handful of PIs (via email) in early May '11
    - I ended up starting my research in the beginning of June '11

My emails went something like this:

5. ponyo

ponyo 人魚姫
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just want to mention that while this worked out for aSagacious you will probably want to contact PIs much earlier than May of the same year, especially if you don't have all that much experience. At the more competitive labs spots often fill by late February.

Otherwise the drill is pretty much the same... Email, express interest, talk about technicalities, etc.

6. nysw

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    A lot of people cold email. Contact PIs who are conducting research relevant toward your interests at a medical/graduate school. A lot of PIs want to have some sort of student in the lab, but because of the lack of PhD candidates, they haven't gotten a student.
    I know my fiance only got a paid position as a research assistant because he sold himself as his PIs potential future grad student (which he fully intends to do, so don't lie). He graduates this August, emailed in May, got offered the position two weeks later, but can't start until later this August (research assistants have to have a BA/BS).

7. mocho22

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks everyone for the great tips, I'll try and see how it goes and let you know.

Any other ideas for what to do with a year off?

I have already done research but would like to do research right before entering med. school with my year off. In the future I'd prob like to work in an academic setting and do some research but mostly clinical.