Year Off Before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this site, but since everyone seems so friendly and open about their plans and opinions, I thought I would run this one by all of you, since I am seriously thinking about it...

I have been in school for a while, since I finished a clinically oriented biophysics-type degree (with extensive clinical work) before the one I am currently finishing (BS in Biology) - except that I am going to be done with both in a four-year time span overall (basically my second degree in 5 semesters - crazy course load, plus research, plus work, MCAT... sound familiar to you guys...?)

I have been in high-octane science land for a while and am hopefully headed back there for the next 10 years...I would love to take a year off to do research in a foreign country (perhaps England, since I speak the language and atmosphere seems so refreshing!) - hook up with research projects related to my background - or use that year to do some work in the arts or humanitarian care or something for a breath of fresh air.

So- questions:
1 - any fellowships available that you know of that I can reserch to sponsor such a thing? Have been looking...
2 - I plan on MCAt this April, apply this summer, and defer acceptance for a year - smooth move? Do schools not smile on this? I would rather not wait a year to apply - nerve wracking "year off" wouldn't be worth it
3 - anyone have a similar leaning with a different variation?

I would appreciate your feedback - thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking time off can be a great thing. My only suggestion would be to make sure to look into the deferment policies of the various programs you're interested in. I suppose one must allow for the possibility that a school could deny your request. I took some time off by just postponing my application. For me the prospect of having my request be denied (however remote the chance) seemed just as stressful as spending the year off while not yet having been accepted. Your case might be different - as I was definitely not ready to start school right away. Anyway, this was a few years ago and things may have changed...best bet is to check with the schools.

Pike said:
Taking time off can be a great thing. My only suggestion would be to make sure to look into the deferment policies of the various programs you're interested in. I suppose one must allow for the possibility that a school could deny your request. I took some time off by just postponing my application. For me the prospect of having my request be denied (however remote the chance) seemed just as stressful as spending the year off while not yet having been accepted. Your case might be different - as I was definitely not ready to start school right away. Anyway, this was a few years ago and things may have changed...best bet is to check with the schools.

Thanks for the note. BTW, if you don't mind my asking, what did you choose to do with your time off? I have so many other academic interests (other than hard science I mean) such as the arts, philosophy, history, theology - but I am game to try something cool in hard science too - I would love to find a cool program that focuses on a single project instead of fragmented course loads.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in my year off after deferring admission. I just wrote a letter to the dean explaining why I wanted a year off, and they let me go. I highly recommend a break. You can pm me with any specific questions.

M

i got accepted in early november so its basically like taking a year off before school starts in august....but its def a great thing to have this time off to do whatever you want.....gives you a chance to come in totally fresh and unstressed....do whatever you're interested in.....i plan on taking a trip to europe sometime to do some touristy stuff, ive never been there so im pretty psyched for it!

Why just one year? Take two, three - I'm on my fourth! Do the Peace Corps!