1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Year off between MS2 and MS3?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by SuferMD, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SuferMD

SuferMD Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of anybody taking a year off between MS2 and MS3. Is it rare? Just wondering and planning ahead. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some folks do so for specialty related research, or for pregnancy or health reasons, but I wouldn't recommend it just as a break.

4. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

You have to be careful about this one if you have fedaral loans. I think the payment schedule kicks in after a few months if you drop below 50% of your credits without good reason (i.e. chilling vs. doing research etc.).

5. vwhan

vwhan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Agreed. Most people don't take off b/w that time, the few ones that take off a year is because of research. Some also take off b/w 3rd and 4th year to do research also.

6. meathooks

meathooks Perpetual Resident
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I did a year of research in laparoscopic surgery, which I feel was very worth it. It's not necessary at all, but it allowed me to spend a lot of time with my mentoring physician and get experience that I wouldn't have otherwise.

7. sscooterguy

sscooterguy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I also took a year in research. It was a school sponsored fellowship, so no problems with loans. I got my research done as well as a much needed break, which was equally important to my decision to take a year off. The other 5th years, as we call ourselves, got additional degrees (MBA, MHA, MPH). Can you get a year of rest doing these academic programs? We thought so. Good luck.

sscooterguy