Year off between MS2 and MS3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuferMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of anybody taking a year off between MS2 and MS3. Is it rare? Just wondering and planning ahead. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

SuferMD said:
Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of anybody taking a year off between MS2 and MS3. Is it rare? Just wondering and planning ahead. Thanks
Some folks do so for specialty related research, or for pregnancy or health reasons, but I wouldn't recommend it just as a break.

SuferMD said:
You have to be careful about this one if you have fedaral loans. I think the payment schedule kicks in after a few months if you drop below 50% of your credits without good reason (i.e. chilling vs. doing research etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
Some folks do so for specialty related research, or for pregnancy or health reasons, but I wouldn't recommend it just as a break.

Agreed. Most people don't take off b/w that time, the few ones that take off a year is because of research. Some also take off b/w 3rd and 4th year to do research also.

I did a year of research in laparoscopic surgery, which I feel was very worth it. It's not necessary at all, but it allowed me to spend a lot of time with my mentoring physician and get experience that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I also took a year in research. It was a school sponsored fellowship, so no problems with loans. I got my research done as well as a much needed break, which was equally important to my decision to take a year off. The other 5th years, as we call ourselves, got additional degrees (MBA, MHA, MPH). Can you get a year of rest doing these academic programs? We thought so. Good luck.

sscooterguy