Year off between MS2 and MS3?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by SuferMD, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SuferMD

SuferMD Member

Medical Student
    Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of anybody taking a year off between MS2 and MS3. Is it rare? Just wondering and planning ahead. Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Some folks do so for specialty related research, or for pregnancy or health reasons, but I wouldn't recommend it just as a break.

4. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus

You have to be careful about this one if you have fedaral loans. I think the payment schedule kicks in after a few months if you drop below 50% of your credits without good reason (i.e. chilling vs. doing research etc.).

5. vwhan

vwhan Senior Member

Medical Student

Agreed. Most people don't take off b/w that time, the few ones that take off a year is because of research. Some also take off b/w 3rd and 4th year to do research also.

6. meathooks

meathooks Perpetual Resident

Fellow [Any Field]
    I did a year of research in laparoscopic surgery, which I feel was very worth it. It's not necessary at all, but it allowed me to spend a lot of time with my mentoring physician and get experience that I wouldn't have otherwise.

7. sscooterguy

sscooterguy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I also took a year in research. It was a school sponsored fellowship, so no problems with loans. I got my research done as well as a much needed break, which was equally important to my decision to take a year off. The other 5th years, as we call ourselves, got additional degrees (MBA, MHA, MPH). Can you get a year of rest doing these academic programs? We thought so. Good luck.

sscooterguy