Year off but no fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Alyssa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Cloisters this year and wasn't accepted. I would still like to take a year off for intensive research training. I considered applying to Cloisters again but my application isn't going to change much. I did meet a researcher at my school who is excited about being my mentor and training me to do research in his lab. So I plan to apply for the HHMI scholars program so I can stay at my institution. In the event that I don't get funding through HHMI I still want to work with my mentor.

So my question is if any of you have arranged a research year that wasn't attached to a larger fellowship or program? I'm going to have to convince my Dean to let me do it...

Members don't see this ad.

Several people at my school have done this & had great years. Our school's pretty liberal about taking time off though so it was never a problem to get it approved. I don't see why it would be difficult to convince any administrator about its purpose/utility. Good luck!