Year off/Increasing Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amplyprovidedfo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to be senior this fall. Just trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life.
I am definitely taking a year off. I just need a little help figuring out what I should do during that time to increase my chances. I am just wondering what you guys recommend to increase my chances for both MD/DO schools. I will be applying next round.
Right now, I have a 3.0 cGPA and 2.9 sGPA. I'm going to try to get those a bit higher by the end of senior year. But if I do end up doing well, the best outcome would be around 3.29 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA. I go to UC Berkeley and have extracurriculars/research/job.

I'm taking the MCAT in August. Any advice there would also be appreciated.

I am looking into one year master's programs. I'm thinking either that or a MPH somewhere I can finish in 1 year. Any other recommendations? Any help will be super appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

you mean in your 2 years off? one year to build your app, and another year as you apply?

the best outcome would be around 3.29 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA.

This is going to make it difficult for you for MD admissions.

Have you considered enrolling in an SMP once you get your MCAT score back?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. rock mcat
2. rock senior year, get good LOR.
3. apply for SMP during senior year
4. Apply med schools for 2014 cycle in may/june
5. update schools with SMP progress
6. get interview/acceptance
7. if fail, complete 2nd year of masters

goodluck.

do a post-bacc program, volunteer, shadow, study hard for the mcat

you mean in your 2 years off? one year to build your app, and another year as you apply?

I graduate 2013 & I want to apply during that cycle. So I don't want to take two years off but one....dumb idea? I want to be starting medschool Fall of 2014...

This is going to make it difficult for you for MD admissions.

Have you considered enrolling in an SMP once you get your MCAT score back?

Thanks for the honesty. I am definitely thinking about it. If you know of any good programs, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch to everyone else as well.

Thanks for the honesty. I am definitely thinking about it. If you know of any good programs, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch to everyone else as well.

There are a lot of programs...I can't speak to the quality of any of them, but a simple search for "special masters programs" on SDN will bring up a ton of great resources. I would start there.

I graduate 2013 & I want to apply during that cycle. So I don't want to take two years off but one....dumb idea? I want to be starting medschool Fall of 2014...

well what you do in your application year hardly has any effect on your application...prospective activities don't mean much.

How do I decide between doing a post bacc or a SPM? Which one can benefit me more? Does it not matter? Should I be working to up my uGPA or just do a SPM? Thanks!

special masters and post bacc are essentially the same thing. it's more a matter of semantics. i would suggest picking the program that gives the most support for your medical school application.

for example, does the program guarantee sponsorships for their top students? do they provide good advising/mentorship services? what were their matriculation rates in past years?