Year off: what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nateholman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man, I just made a tough decision to defer for a year from the med school I was accepted to. I spent like an hour just staring at the "send" button on my email account! Anyway, I think I am going to get a job at a research lab for the gap year and was wondering what sort of salary I should be looking for? I have a biology degree and really have no idea what the going rate is. Any tips? Any other job suggestions? I am open to anything...my life is totally without structure for the next year as of this moment. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Man, I just made a tough decision to defer for a year from the med school I was accepted to. I spent like an hour just staring at the "send" button on my email account! Anyway, I think I am going to get a job at a research lab for the gap year and was wondering what sort of salary I should be looking for? I have a biology degree and really have no idea what the going rate is. Any tips? Any other job suggestions? I am open to anything...my life is totally without structure for the next year as of this moment. Thanks!!

a little over minimum wage. maybe 10$ an hour starting? there are way too many bio grads on the market.

My advisor told me and others to not accept anything under 33K.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can work at a gas station for 8.50 an hour. Careful though, cause apparently you need experience, or else they wont hire you.

My advisor told me and others to not accept anything under 33K.

when did you last talk to your advisor. there's a huge influx of bio grads this summer. maybe 33k b/c of debt load, but you'd better have experience to be making 16$ per hour starting.

when did you last talk to your advisor. there's a huge influx of bio grads this summer. maybe 33k b/c of debt load, but you'd better have experience to be making 16$ per hour starting.
me??

sophomore year...and yeah I have 2 years of experience

me??

sophomore year...and yeah I have 2 years of experience

sorry i don't mean you personally. i mean generally speaking, you should have lab experience to be making "big bucks" as a bio grad in a research lab.

sorry i don't mean you personally. i mean generally speaking, you should have lab experience to be making "big bucks" as a bio grad in a research lab.
damn...when was 33K considered big bucks...grrr

Are you in Utah still? I work at molecular path. lab in Salt Lake city and get paid a tad bit under $20 an hour. You can work as an unregistered med tech or just as a lab tech but watch out for those labs that would have you washing glassware and doing meaningless stuff for 12-13 bucks an hour. Enjoy your gap year and in case you're a fan, GO JAZZ! what a game today (sorry Laker fans)

damn...when was 33K considered big bucks...grrr

haha 33k is actually a pretty decent living for starting salary. you can actually afford a (used) car and to eat out once in a while if you live in the right area. :cool:

i guess i have a different perspective since i used to be dirt poor.

haha 33k is actually a pretty decent living for starting salary. you can actually afford a (used) car and to eat out once in a while if you live in the right area. :cool:

i guess i have a different perspective since i used to be dirt poor.
damn gf is too expensive!!!

Masturbate.

I'm sorry, I never really have any good constructive advice.

I make 28K+ but I am only going to be in this lab for a few months so I took a discount. Low 30's seems about fair. Working in a research lab = low to no stress whatsoever.

I know that most labs in the Boston area start around $30K. Looks like I'll be living in Mission Hill...

I figure it's how you sell yourself and WHERE you want to work, honestly. Right now I'm working at Lilly in investigative tox getting 16/hr and I don't have that great of experience. I imagine that getting more wouldn't be too difficult, the only problem being you have to sign a contract.:thumbdown: Mine required no contract :thumbup:.

If this were going to be something I would seriously consider, 16/hr would not be the salary I would want. Sure, it's manageable (I have enough money to pay bills and save money) but it's still low. Really low.

Are you in Utah still? I work at molecular path. lab in Salt Lake city and get paid a tad bit under $20 an hour. You can work as an unregistered med tech or just as a lab tech but watch out for those labs that would have you washing glassware and doing meaningless stuff for 12-13 bucks an hour. Enjoy your gap year and in case you're a fan, GO JAZZ! what a game today (sorry Laker fans)

:eek:

And I thought my gf making $15 had it good
(I make under $12+pity+, but I still make more than the post-docs)