1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Year Off...?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by harbor21, Nov 16, 2005.

1. harbor21

harbor21 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    If someone wants to take a year off between undergrad and med school, is it better to apply the summer after junior year and try to defer any admissions or wait until the summer after senior year to apply? Anyone who has done this or who could provide some info on this subject please do.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoctorFunk

DoctorFunk Get down with the boogie
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The answer may hinge on what you plan on doing during your year away from school. If it is something that may add to your chances of admission, I would wait until summer after senior year to apply.

If you plan on sitting around your house eating Cheetos and trying to find the naked parts of GTA: San Andreas, then I would either apply after junior year and work hard to make a BS story explaining your need for deferral, or just reconsider your plans altogether.

4. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Schools don't have to accept your application defer matriculation. If they don't accept it you will have to matriculate. It's not the worst injustice in history.
    If you are hell bent on taking a year off then take a year off. If you have no interest one way or the other you should apply after your junior year.

5. laboholic

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

apply after you graduate... this is what I did b/c my 3.9 I got during my senior year really raised my GPA... If you apply your Jr year, you Sr grades will not be seen by med schools...Plus you should have a whole other year of "experiences" that you can supplement your app with.

6. DeadorAlive

DeadorAlive Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I would also recommend waiting to apply. I had the same question and was told that I should be ready to go to med school when I was accepted. Since I knew going in that I didn't want to go straight, I waited.

And I'm glad I did - more time for apps, taking days off of work instead of class, etc. Although I'm now more than the intended 1 year off... whoops. The real world is awesome and important, I'm actually sad to leave it....

7. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Alternatively, if your GPA is high after 3 years it's in your best interests to apply before you risk letting it slip your senior year.

8. laboholic

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, Only do this if you are 100% sure you are going to do better... which was my case. ;)

9. teflontess15

teflontess15 Member
    5+ Year Member

Very, very true. I thought senioritis was just something that happened in high school. Then this semester happened. :)

It would also depend on your reasons for wanting a year off. Tired of studying? Want to go work, play, etc? Taking a year off to go travel abroad (all the while adding important life experiences and volunteer work) is probably going to be considered differently than staying at home.

10. zook

zook Member
    5+ Year Member

I would recommend applying senior year. Like people have said, you'll have more experiences to put on your app, and I think most ADCOMs like seeing applicants take a year off to "mature." As far as deferments go, it seems like private schools are a bit more lenient than public schools in granting them, but if a public school is the only place you get in, you're running the risk of having to apply again. The only thing about applying during your year off - make sure you get a job that's relatively flexible, so you can take time off to interview.

11. erin682

erin682 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not all schools allow deferement and a number of those that do expect you to have a real reason, aside from 'I just want to take a year off'.

12. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

also keep in mind that a lot of the cool things you may want to do (i.e. travel, or move abroad to teach english etc.) will require you to be out of country thus making it impossible for you to deal with all the applying/interviewing that requires you to be around. just a thought.
    -mota

13. 1/2asser

1/2asser slang'n beint
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm planning on taking a year off and applied after my junior year anyway. it would be awesome to spend that year off with no stress about getting in. and if you get rejected you can do those follow up interviews at some schools and find out what you need to do for the next go round. As far as not being around, i really hope that if you're teaching english in bangladesh that the adcom would cut you a break and do a phone interview or just drop it all together. i mean you're teaching english in bangladesh, what else do they want to know?

14. Agent Splat

Agent Splat Viruses? Don't Exist.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Now I know why I've never met you. You don't come to class, do you? The truth finally comes out....

15. jeffsleepy

jeffsleepy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In the interview feedback page for WashU, a few people said that their interviewers asked them something like "Isn't it selfish to take a year off before medical school?" How can this possibly be construed as selfish. I feel like I need to prepare an answer to this question, but I don't see how selfishness fits in at all.