unlvdmd

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2004
423
1
Las Vegas
Status
Does it matter what year I buy of the decks? Is it really going to make a difference to buy used ones? What if I want to get the best possible score. Will buying the new set beneficial, or is it considered standard to buy someone elses?
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Lots of people buy them used, and many purchase older editions. I don't think it makes a lot of difference, but I recall threads last year where some students were fairly sure that the 2004 edition was better in all subjects.
 

Jone

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
441
0
florida
Visit site
Status
i compared 2001 and 2004, and they're really the same.

they would cover the same topics, but reword some questions in the newer one, for no apparent benefit. the backs of the cards are what matter, and for those, the 2001 and 2004 have the exact same information.

i have not seen 1998 version and thus can't comment on it.



unlvdmd said:
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Jone said:
i compared 2001 and 2004, and they're really the same.

they would cover the same topics, but reword some questions in the newer one, for no apparent benefit. the backs of the cards are what matter, and for those, the 2001 and 2004 have the exact same information.

i have not seen 1998 version and thus can't comment on it.
Excellent points. I've compared the 98 to the 2001, and they were virtually the same (on the backs). But the two sets didn't have ALL of the same cards (probably 95% the same though), so there was some additionaly information by way of new cards.
 

KY2007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
213
1
Status
unlvdmd said:
Does it matter what year I buy of the decks? Is it really going to make a difference to buy used ones? What if I want to get the best possible score. Will buying the new set beneficial, or is it considered standard to buy someone elses?
I have year 2000, and was comparing them to someone's 2003 and the one's we compared were identical. I don't know if it was a coincidence or if the whole deck is the same, but I'm willing to bet my board score that it doesn't matter which year of decks you have.