Years of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dral

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my school's residency program website, a 5th year of 'clinical patient contact' is mentioned in regards to 'recent requirements' of the ABP (for a combined AP/CP residency)

It appears that this is currently elective and not required, but I was wondering if there is talk of pushing back to a 5 year program. Does anyone know anything about this? I mainly want to know out of curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of something similar - a so called "credentialing" year that is required before sitting for the path boards. Apparently it does not have to be a year of patient contact, but can be a year of clinical research instead. Anyone have any information?

Is it out of date? Many department websites are notorious for being out of date (woefully).

There is no credentialing year. AP/CP is 4 years, just one of them is 3 years. There is no year of patient contact or research required.

Yup. It seems like something new. The electives for my program aren't even up yet, but apparently they're mostly patient clinical contact electives.

That would be cool if it could be clinical research, or maybe a combination of the two.

Eh, whatever it takes I guess. I'm in no position to be making any rules at this point. heh

Edit: It seems to be a new thing. I don't remember the link being there before, and I have been to my institution's path residency site numerous times before. This is why it seems odd to me. I've searched around and cannot find anything. I guess it could be old and I missed it before.