Yes! A thread for celebrating what is working!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vasa Lisa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The week is almost over - just a few more clients tomorrow and then the weekend.

Today was a tough day - and a good day - and filled with complexity. Lots of growth and celebration of hard work and the rewards that come in the outer world when the work in the treatment container is successful.

I know client intakes come in floods and famines. Last October - through January - I thought I would pop from the intensity of new clients. There were a few weeks when I was taking on four new clients a week. For me - for part time - that was intense!

And then things settled down. And I felt at peace. I can do this I told myself. This is sustainable.

And now - another flood - a flood out the door! I am in the middle of termination central.

This past couple weeks has seen several clients making leaps and having successes in the outer world and terminating or scaling back their sessions.

In a small practice setting - less clients = less income. So there is a small sliver of fear. But there is also a sense of liberation that fewer clients means more time at home with family and friends. More time for hobbies, reading, and personal interests. More time for self-care, leisurely lunches and quiet evenings. And with summer coming what isn't to love about less time in the office?

Can I trust the ebb and flow of this process of clients in and clients out?

The glamour of private practice is autonomy - and it is true - there is autononomy. The reality of private practice is risk. What is your tolerance for risk?

So for me for today - I am celebrating the lengthening days, more time for self care.

And you - what are you celebrating as spring begins to stream toward summer?

VL

Members don't see this ad.

http://ct.counseling.org/2011/01/taking-care-of-yourself-as-a-counselor/

Posting from my phone, so not sure how to post it as a link, but I found this article when I was looking for something else and it seemed useful as we talk about "burn out" in the various helping professions.

What do you do to prevent burnout?

For me, peer consultation is invaluable. Also hanging out with friends who are not therapists reminds me to step outside my usual focus.

And this morning is sunny and I am off to the Farmers Market.

Happy Saturday!

VL